Noah Webster Basic School

Charter | K-6 | 1143 students

Living in Mesa

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $136,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,130.

Posted June 24, 2014

This school was a total waste of time. I am completely surprised to see how unprofessional the people working at this school can be. Unbelievable! I had been waiting over a month, close to two months, just to know if my child had been accepted for kindergarten. I was told at the most it would take 3 weeks. I received an excuse every time I called or stopped by as to why I had not yet received notification of acceptance. It is just completely ridiculous to hear that they have no idea why my child is the only one they have no response for. I have decided not to enroll my child at this school. I can just imagine what it would be like if I had a concern while my child attended this school, the time it would take them to get back to me.

Posted June 13, 2014

Great education prospects and the teachers by and large do a great job. It is true that the teachers that fail expectations are let go quickly. I am grateful and happy about where our child is in school reference his education. However, I would rate the school administration a D-. This may seem contradictory but the staff seem to downplay or outright dismiss parental concerns. If you are planing to partner in your child's education, I would not advise sending your child to this school.

Posted June 12, 2014

As a former teacher at NWBS, the turnover rate is HIGH. I saw the most amazing teachers not be asked back. If you don't fall in line and conform to the Mormon run school, you're out. Many teachers are fired during the year for truly ridiculous reasons. Parents think they quit, but they were fired. After working for another charter school last year, I learned how a teacher should be treated. NWBS fails miserably at treating teachers with respect. Every teacher there walks on egg shells. Always worried if they're going to be fired for some idiotic reason. There are some great teachers and some great staff members working there. I wish they all knew how much better it is to work somewhere else!

Posted June 11, 2014

I just noticed Arizona Department of Education job posting for 2014-15 school year. BEWARE! Noah Webster is notorious for walking teachers out, regardless of the school year. Leadership has three stars for a reason, it should be less.

Posted April 24, 2014

My Daughter transferred to Noah Webster a few weeks into the first semester this year into Kindergarten. The progress she has made is astonishing. She is reading really well now and doing well in Math and her behavior has improved. Her teacher is very passionate and even the Principal of a rather large school even was able to talk to me about how she was doing. I can tell they truly care about the kids and push them to meet the high standards that will help them develop as the move forward in their eduction

Posted April 23, 2014

My daughter loves this school, and I agree. The teachers are great, the staff is so friendly and helpful, and I always feel welcome there. I always get a personal and timely response to any questions or concerns I have whether by email, phone or in person. The communication from the teachers and administration is top notch (I always know what is going on), and the education is challenging and rewarding for my daughter. I recommend this school to all of my friends, especially those that are disappointed with their current school. I realize that NWS is not the perfect school for every child, or every parent for that matter, however no school is. I like that the school policies and teachers are strict, they don't play favorites, and kids (and parents) are taught that they are responsible for their own work and behavior. I believe that NWS prepares my child for life as well as educating her academically, and I applaud those that work so hard to do so at Noah Webster.

Posted April 23, 2014

I have two kids that go to NWS. They both love it there. They have been going for the last 4 yrs. The teachers and staff are great. My son Is a 6th grader and will move on and I am concerned about where he will be going next year when he leaves NWS. I will not put him in public school system. I wish they had a Jr, High.

Posted January 8, 2014

My daughter has attended NW since Kindergarten. No, I am not a teacher at that school, I am rating this as a parent. My daughter and I have both loved each and every one of the teachers that she has had. I feel she is academically challenged and that is one of the most important things. I don't want her to be bored and dislike school. There are also a lot of extracurricular programs for those that have to go early or stay later. Great school, great staff - 5 stars!

Posted September 27, 2013

We currently have 2 children at Noah Webster and couldn't be more thrilled with our choice. The teachers that we have had are nothing short of world class who love teaching. Having the kids grouped by ability has many benefits. Parents who comment on here about not being able to volunteer have had an entirely different experience than we have had, the teachers go out of their way to make you feel welcomed.

Posted September 26, 2013

I have found Noah Webster to be a school that enjoys educating children not only academically but also creatively. Knowledge is just part of education, but wisdom is what we do with the knowledge. Noah Webster's Teaching and curriculum style focuses on everyday application to help children apply what they learn into everyday living. In short, teach a man to fish and he'll have food for a lifetime!

Posted September 23, 2013

This school is a failure! It is a sad excuse for a school. My child will not be going back after Christmas holiday. I am just sorry that I have to leave him in this environment that much longer.

Posted August 25, 2013

I'm really confused by some of the comments I've read. As far as Noah Webster "claiming" to be an A rated school, they are A rated. A rating comes from the state based on test scores, not just something a school "claims" to be. The education my daughter received at Noah Webster was amazing. For the past 3 yrs she received "exceeds" on all her AIMS tests. As far as "parents not being allowed to be involved", let me just say I received notification constantly about volunteering. Just last year I volunteered for my daughters art class, holiday shopping, book fair and few times in the classroom helping the teacher. I believe the parents who complain about not being allowed to be involved are angry they can't just walk onto the campus whenever they want. Noah Webster is very strict about prior notification to be on campus, but I LOVE that! I don't want just anyone showing up at anytime disrupting my daughters education. Not to mention the fact in today's insane society I want my daughter as safe as possible while she is at school. And Noah Webster put her safety over the needs of "helicopter parents" who won't let the school do its job.

Posted August 22, 2013

I love that this school places students in levels and ability. My daughter was in the wrong group at the beginning of the year, and within 2 weeks it was recognized and corrected. I love this school, the teachers, and most of all my daughter loves it.

Posted August 12, 2013

This school is the worst!!! The principal never called me back when I left her several messages about a bullying situation, I never even saw what the principal looked like. The education my child received was honestly not very good. I moved my child to Jacobson Elementary and the school is 31st out of the whole state. mY child stated she had a better eduacation there than at Jacobson and she felt more challenged. Noah Webster wants you to believe its an A+ school but I would actually say they are D-. So disappointed!!!!!!

Posted August 8, 2013

If you're looking for a below standard school for your children then this the place for you. I had my children in this school for 3 years & each & every year it progressively got worst, from putting my 1st grader on the wrong bus, to paying additional for after school activities that really was just babysitting, to teachers & staff always being rude if ever questioned, flies in girls & boys restroom not to mention never any hand soap, disorganized, under certified teachers that are oddly related to each other (so weird), ridiculous policies, & finally children bored out of their minds. My son was always coming home saying that he hates school & that its boring. Well after asking his teacher & sitting in the classroom I can see why, nothing but worksheets ALL day!! I understand that books & various materials can be costly but as parents we are asked to buy a ton of school supplies but yet everything that came home was done on white copy paper & in pencil. Children need to be stimulated with different things other than worksheets. School should be a positive environment. I would never recommend this school, all they care about is filling seats so the can get funded from the state.

Posted July 20, 2013

We are PROUD to be an A rated school. We have made some amazing, exciting changes over the past year that have showed incredible growth across all grade levels. With laptops for every student, interactive whiteboards in every room, excited teachers that go above and beyond standards that also go way beyond anything common... I invite you to check it out for yourself. Make your own choice if it's right for you and your child. I am a teacher there, but also a parent of a student. So, I am able to see things through both sides of the glass. I would never put my child anywhere else.

Posted July 12, 2013

By the post on July 9th, one can understand why that person thinks their child is getting an above average education. The word is "successful"; it is 3rd grade spelling. Now you see why many of us are worried about our children that have received education at Noah Webster.

Posted December 18, 2012

I have had several children enrolled at NWBS through sixth grade. I have been very happy with the education my older kids have received, going on to Jr High enrolled in Honor's classes. But, I feel NWBS focuses on the more advanced students (higher learning levels) and puts their best teachers there, while putting less experienced/weaker teachers/staff over the middle to lower levels. Struggling students have difficulty catching up without strong teachers. NWBS is driven by higher test scores to advertise, not necessarily by students education and success. Family and friends have experienced multiple teacher changes within the same year, several years in a row. Children with behavioral issues are "asked not to return." Some of my children have been part of the Special Ed dept for minor speech therapy, both in the public school system as well as at NWBS. The Special Ed staff has been very helpful and supportive, but short on resources. As a parent I have often felt my involvement is only wanted for fundraising purposes and crowd control during fieldtrips. I don't feel welcome visiting the school. I am considering moving my younger children to the local public school.

Posted December 17, 2012

My first introduction to NWBS was when a friend of mine had enrolled her son. I was so impressed by the school. Some of the factors that attracted me were the fact that parent involvement that was not only encouraged but required. After having two children in MPS I had become increasingly disappointed when we would attend school concerts or awards ceremonies and see only a handful of parents! It reminded me of the way schools used to be. A place where a student and his/her family became part of a larger school family! I quickly decided that if/when we had another child he/she would attend this fabulous school. My love for this school has only grown as I watched my son, Zach forge true and lasting friendships with not only his classmates, but also the staff members! No school is perfect but this school is truly exceptional. We have enjoyed attending the school functions like family movie night and Fright fest, yes it is busy but I would rather see it busy and see families involved in their children's school activities. The staff does a great job keeping things organized. My son loved attending this school.. best choice I have ever made! Michelle Wright Proud NWBS parent

Posted October 16, 2012

NWBS encourages parents to get involved in their children's education and future. I have throughly researched and visited many schools in the Mesa and Gilbert area and have found that NWBS offers an outstanding educational program for my children. I have one child that moved to middle school with honors and continues to participate in honor classes. I believe as a parent that education starts at home...teaching good study habits, setting goals, organizational skills. Children mock their parents...parents are their children's mentor.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

152 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

152 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Male 51%N/A51%

Fax number
  • (480) 354-3490

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now