Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Teachers at this school are not actively involved with their students. They do not build personal relationships with willing parents.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

My daughter has not brought any homework from school at all this year.

My kids have been going to this school for the past 3 years. I have always been just "OK" with it. I prefer a charter school, however my kids have voiced that they would prefer to attend public school, so I gave it a try. This year has been by far the worst. The teacher my son had this year quit after a week so I assume she feels the same way! I can go on a tangent about how they do not offer any after school or before school help for the kids.... But, I will leave it at this: I have e mailed and called the principle over a week ago concerning my son and his negative relationship with his new teacher. I have yet to hear from her! We will be pulling my son out of this school asap!

My kids have been going here for 3 years and love it. The staff is great and takes the time to really help the kids. This is the 3rd school my oldest has attended and Salk has been her favorite

This school is teaching children that failure is their only option. My son went to Salk for all of Kindergarten and 1/2 of 1st grade and was in special Ed classes and sent to special Ed classes when he didn't want to do his work. He was failing at everything except special Ed math and I Was told over and over again that the teachers just don't have time to help him one on one because the are grossly over populated with students. His 1st grade teacher often said that she was only one person with 30+ other students to tend to and she doesn't have any regular help. It was very frustrating. We switched schools to one with slightly smaller -5 students) class numbers and I now have an honor role student that loves going to school and finally has friends. He is soaring in grades and is now out of all his special Ed classes! My son used to cry all the way to school because he hated it so much. Now he leaves everyday with a huge smile and returns with that same smile. Salk is failing the children that attend their school.

The staff is BEYOND incompetent and the students are not managed in a consistent manner. The teacher constantly asked us our opinion on how she could "reach" him and NEVER LISTENED TO US. So instead, he got to come home feeling like he was a horrible kid because he was always in trouble due to lack of discipline. It has RUINED his self esteem. To top it off, we had to move outside of the school district but had to keep him in Mesa School District due to work schedules and transportation issues and they DENIED HIM ENROLLMENT because of "behavioral issues". HES A 9 YEAR OLD BOY!!! WHAT 9 YEAR OLD BOY DOESN'T HAVE TO BE TAUGHT HOW TO BEHAVE AT TIMES?! If he was SO BAD then why were they willing to keep him had we still lived in the district?! Instead they used it against him for re-enrollment. And their registrar wasn't even in the office until 2 weeks before school started. So I jumped on the issue to apply due to tight time frames (thanks to whoever planned that ladies vacation) and instead of CALLING US TO TELL US HE GOT DENIED A WEEK BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS THEY MAIL A FREAKING LETTER. And they were afraid to tell me over the phone because they knew VERY WELL that their reasoning is UNFAIR AND BAD PRACTICE. Your school is PATHETIC. Your staff is SPINELESS and BRAINLESS. Your effort to reach children is LAZY. I am shocked that any of you have a job after how you treat students and parents!

This school is raising children to not learn how to deal with issues but to tattle on every little thing. I mean little. I understand bigger issues. My 7 year old has gone so down hill once he started going to this school. Learning things from other kids I can't even imagine at his age. Now he is always getting in trouble for saying and doing innapropriate things. My 6th grader calls home for everything. Your not actively writing on your paper...call home. You made a sound with your pen cap....call home. I am worn thin. They are worn thin and feel they can't do anything right. Our family, neighborhood families, and our church think they are awesome kids. Too bad the kids don't feel that way anymore. They come home saying they can't do anything right and they are losers. Not Okay! When my 6th grader would tell on his friends for something they were all doing the Principal threatened to call the Mesa Policy Department on him if he didn't tell!! To me that's bullying!

Salk has been rated an A+ school this year !! And it is an A+ School ! If you have children that go to Salk and thay are having issues at school ,are they having issues at home as well? I've seen the Principal and the Staff bend over backwards to help troubled kids, But the "help" needs to begin at home Parents!

I'm a grandmother who has seen my granddaughter excel and thrive in this school. The teachers have been encouraging and nudged her to her full potential. The programs for the students offer opportunities for growth on social as well as educational levels.

I don't believe the majority of the population being Spanish is not the problem. I think it is a good thing for our children to be raised in a diverse environment. The issue is what the other parent said-it is all about pushing these kids through. A few years back there was a big thing about 'we have zero tolerance for bullying' that is not true-it is happening every day right under their noses and they don't want to see it. It is sad that my son has to come home every day saying that he was called this name and kicked and hit and no one is ever there to see it-when he tells he is dismissed. They cannot control what happens on their own campus or buses and that is sad.

Last modified Salk Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.