Sousa Elementary School

Public | PK-6

Posted April 17, 2014

My daughter has been at Sousa since Kindergarden. She is now in 2nd grade. I have had nothing but positive experiences there. The teachers are fantastic and the principal is wonderful. The teacher keeps me so informed and my daughter is excelling.

Posted April 11, 2014

John Philip Sousa Elementary School has provided excellent education for both of my daughters and soon for my son. Everyone keeps me informed when their may be a slight problem we can work on at home to better any curriculum concerns my daughters' may have. I attended Sousa when I was a child and I enjoyed every moment of it, this is why I chose John Philip Sousa for my children!

Posted April 16, 2012

Please don't believe the drivel of the previous review. My child has been at Sousa for 4 years and we are specifically staying in our home until he's done there because they are that good! My child who has ADHD is thriving under their care and watch. Unfortunately like at all shools, some parents think they are above the rules and protocol that comes with running a safe and learned enviroment. These people ignore instructions for picking up and dropping off children, chatting on cell phones while driving through the parking lot in their Mercedes, endangering everyone else with no regard for months before finally being confronted and than they have an axe to grind. I stand by Sousa and the Principal 150%. All public schools should be this awesome!

Posted March 8, 2012

I am sad to report the experience at Sousa has been a horrible one for myself and my child. It is run like a penitentiary and and it has a very toxic environment. As a place of learning with young children having a warm and inviting climate would be appropriate but this is not the case at Sousa elementary. I warn parents that staff yell at the children and are extremely confrontational to parents. Be sure not to voice your concerns because retaliatory actions will take place. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted October 25, 2011

Our choices were Sousa, Ben Franklin-power or Zahara's...We chose Sousa! And we have enjoyed it very much! The school is very organized and aware of whats going on. The teachers are some of the best! They definitely care for the students they get each year! The programs are great and the quarterly family activities are super fun! The school is clean and organized. We are so happy with our choice! Our children love school because of Sousa! * Side note, all the negative talk about the principle in the reviews from 2004, you can disregard! They have changed the principle since then and she is organized and kind, and cares about her school and students!!

Posted February 10, 2011

Sousa has great teachers that care about the kids. My kids have always had the full support of the staff as they learn and grow. Plus, there are many opportunities for parent involvement. I'm very happy we live in the Sousa neighborhood.

Posted February 16, 2010

this school is very good the teachers and staff are also very helpful and kind
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 19, 2008

My daughter has attended Sousa for the past 2 years (1st & 2nd grade) and I am THOROUGHLY impressed with the staff. All the teachers are incredible and principal is very hands on and cares deeply about each of her students! We came from supposedly one of the best schools in the Madison School District in Phx and this school outranks any of them BY FAR!

Posted November 10, 2008

Both my boys attended this school. I was impressed with all the teachers and volunteers they had through the years. My boys did wonderful in their academics and I can say the teachers really seemed like they cared and loved their jobs. They had great family activities and my boys enjoyed their years there. Awesome school!

Posted May 21, 2008

For the past 10 years our family has been at Sousa Elementry.Now we have our grandchildren attending.This scool is a great and all the Teachers and aids give 100%.I have many friends in the valley that are disapointed in there schools but our SOUSA is special.

Posted February 14, 2008

We have been here for 6 years also with my third child in kindergarden now. I love the teachers they are so welcoming of parents and easy to talk to. I truly feel their best interest is for my children. The principal is new this year, and my kids are adjusting nicely to her.

Posted October 20, 2007

We've been going to this school for 6 yrs. through 3 kids. We all love their teachers. They talk to you like friends. Wonderful staff. Couldn't ask for a better school.

Posted October 2, 2006

This is a great school. My oldest has been here since K and he is in fourth grade now. My younger two go here too. The teachers are wonderful and the principal is the best. If you have a problem they will help solve it. Not a problem.

Posted September 10, 2006

My kids have been going to Sousa since August of 2003, and we love the school, principal, and teachers. We could not ask for a better school! I have a 6thgrader,4thgrader, and 1stgrader this year, there teachers all all great and have been every past year. Next year my daughter will be at Smith jr.high, and I can only pray that the teachers are just as great!

Posted April 24, 2006

Fantastic school with incredible teachers. Lots of parent involvement, great PTO, great ELP program for gifted students.

Posted October 28, 2005

This school is awesome.the academics are adequate, sometimes above the normal grade level. In other words, learning above and beyond. They have music, art and sports.PE is great.I think they could use more after school activities such as more sports, cheer, etc. The parent involvement is terrific. Everyone is welcomed here and the staff is truely caring for your child.

Posted February 2, 2005

I realy like this school because it unded stand my child and works with her for her to learn at her own pace.

Posted February 2, 2005

i like this school alot my daughter is in mrs. prowetts kindergarden class and she has learned so much. she gives each child time to learn at there own pace. and i am so glad for that.they are always safe and thinking of my childs best intrest at hand.

Posted November 23, 2004

A good school that has good parent involvement. I would like to see more after school programs to help children in academic need.She spends way to much time on this issue something that was fine before her arival.She is obsessed like the captain in the movie mr. Roberts.The teachers are great for the most but some do not belong in the grades that this principal has assigned them this year.Some were movedto different grades and don't know subjects that they are teaching.There has been considerable improvement in the music and arts department.Gym remains great and may have improved somewhat.The staff is great as are the teachers helpers.This school has had a great patriotic theme that has been some what diminished this past year. The head of student council does a great job.

Posted August 13, 2004

My 2 children have attended Sousa since Kindergarden. The teachers have been wonderful and full of help and encouragement. We have been through 2 principles and both were very good with our kids. Last year they had an after school homework hour that really worked well for my girls. The parent involvement has been a real treat. I tell everyone what a good school it is.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

66 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 53%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (480) 472-8888

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now