Taylor Junior High School

Public | 7-9 | 870 students

Posted April 28, 2014

Taylor was just named an A+ school of excellence. I am a parent who assisted the committee. This is a difficult application and few win. Great school. Great programs and great vision. I highly recommend it. We left Gilbert schools to drive to Taylor and have never regretted it.

Posted April 12, 2014

Send you student any where else this school is not concerned with the well being of it's students. My son was "asked" to switch schools based on bad grades and he is not the only student that has been asked to do so. The principal cares more about the schools reputation then about the students.

Posted March 25, 2014

Taylor is what I had expected when I first had my field trip there in 6th grade. I finally became a "sevie" as the 8th grader in Taylor call it, and I was happy in my school. Though, the principal is very enthusiastic, she suspects perfection from the students; very irking and countless rules especially for dresscode. No green shoelaces? What? Other than that, Taylor is an average middle school with over 1,000 students (currently). But, this is coming from an Honors students, top of the chain line at Taylor, I have no interactions with the regular students here at Taylor, my classmates are mature, but I have no periods encountering the regular students. Therefor, I do not know about that side of Taylor. Overall, Taylor is a very comfortable and neat school, teachers respect me as an intelligent student; average teachers, nothing more. But, like any school, there's a group you fit in, it's not always everyone you get along with, don't suspect perfection from us, but there's no proof of me describing regular students. Honor students, you'll love.

Posted April 19, 2013

The school is ok but the security at the school is awful. It is a race issue. Which it should not be!

Posted March 1, 2013

My son has been at this school since the beginning of 7th grade and we are now 3/4 thru the year. I have been very involved with my son's academics and sports, checking the parent portal daily. 2 of the 7 teachers he has are incompetent. The coach for baseball was incompetent. I have not AT ALL been impressed with this school. Even attendance can't get their website program straight and has logged my son as tardy/absent more than twice and I have had to call to fix it. The 2 teachers are more concerned with their personal issues than getting a grade for a student correct. I'm considering taking my son out of the school, but I have no way to get him to another school as I am unable to drop him off or pick him up and have to rely on the bus to get him. I'm not sure the positives outweigh the negatives. Consider your options before enrolling your child in this Junior High.

Posted January 31, 2012

I totally agree with opinion that SOME of the teachers at Taylor are not the best. This is due to the fact that the new principal is a horrible principal. A principal can make a school great or ruin it, and she is ruining Taylor Jr. High. A good principal will be able to attract and keep good teachers. She has run off excellent teachers (and more excellent teachers are planning on leaving) because she is such a dictator and makes horrible decisions that are not best for students or teachers. Then when it is time to hire new teachers, the good teachers out there have heard all about her and don't want to work in those conditions. The District will not get rid of a principal unless parents get involved...even though your child is at this school for only 2 years, it is two very important years to building the foundation to your student being successful in high school. The principal at Taylor has made countless bad decisions and I am begging all parents to get involved and tell the Superintendent if you are unhappy about anything the principal is doing.

Posted January 5, 2012

I agree with the other posts however I want to discuss the lack of qualified teachers. Needless to say the school scrapes from the bottom of the barrel when it comes to hiring teachers, but they really hit bottom when they hired one particular teacher. For privacy reasons I will not disclose his full name, however I will use the initials A.R (though he goes by the nickname Gus". He is a teacher/coach and absolutely unqualified. If you google his name you will find blogs that he has written bad mouthing his previous school/district (Roosevelt). How this teacher has kept his job and certification is beyond me. The fact that he has written blogs about his previous administrators and coworkers is absurd. He even has written about previous students! He clearly does not have the students best interest in hand. If he is not investigated immediately I will pull my child form this school. Come on now! Here is a teacher writing blogs on the internet breaking privacy rules and acting like a child when he is supposed to be teaching our children! My child has also heard him openly talking about his ex-wife, their divorce, and incidents that took place at this previous schools.

Posted December 3, 2011

Leadership at this school is poor to say the least. Classes are way too big for a school that has full inclusion. Students with special educational needs deserve to have smaller class sizes. I know that some of these classes have as many as 39 students in them. That is not good enough for my kids. I am going elsewhere. When I visited the school the office staff was welcoming but the Principal seemed cold and somewhat unfriendly. The school overall has a very unwelcoming feeling, especially in the cafeteria area. There were many students who were dressed immodestly. It does not seem as there is a dress code there that is enforced. I don't want my kids dressing like that or associating with kids that do. If you are thinking about Taylor Jr. High, I would just keep on looking. It did not give me a good impression.

Posted August 19, 2011

This school is changing and starting to have a lot of problems. It was once a very good school. My child cannot learn in an enviorment a teacher can't teach. It's just the beginning of the school year and kids are making teachers leave the classroom because their frustrated and can't handle the class. Parents please teach your kids to be respectful and keep them from disrupting the class because they don't want to learn. It's not fair to those that do. I am seeing a lot of this within the district. We can't always blame the schools. It has a lot to do with parent involvement. Most of the disruptive kids parents aren't involved and we need to implement some rules for them to be held responsible.

Posted November 15, 2010

Will be transfering my Granddaughter to another school. Bullying, rude language, to many gang bangers at Taylor. Not a great enviroment to be trapped in...New Principal and Counselor not at all helpful.

Posted September 10, 2009

Taylor is a pretty strict school that demands the best from its students and over all is pretty fun becaause it has clubs like the bookclub that you can join and the teachers seem to really care about the students

Posted June 12, 2009

Taylor is a great school with many awsome teachers that truely really about the students.

Posted March 3, 2009

Taylor has been wonderful to my children. With all the issues that may arise Taylor is wonderful. Yes there may be fights, but hmm what school doesn't. Yes there may be rude/unacceptable language, but hello.. it's junior high. The teachers and wonderful and Mr. Fowler and Mr. Arnett are wonderful and always willing to help with any situation that involves the kids there and the school. Taylor Junior High has good test scores and the school has been awesome! I'd recommend anyone to have their children attend Taylor.

Posted March 1, 2008

tjh is an ok school. it is great academic wise, but there is far too many fights, i do not feel comfortable or safe there. theres great sports offered, but the learning environment is not positive.

Posted April 24, 2007

In my three years there, I have had the greatest teachers and experiences. Some of my peers are very disrespectful, and inconsiderate of one another. The one major problem I think Taylor has is the crude language used by mainly students and a few teachers.

Posted May 6, 2006

I think this is a great school.Mr Cox does an awesome job as principal. We wish him well and hope someday he comes back to Taylor or Mesa High.

Posted April 18, 2006

During my time in Taylor Junior Highschool I enjoyed it emensly. Being a new student to the state I had very little knowledge about what I was to expect. The teachers were somewhat curteous and although I enjoyed my learning expirience there I did not enjoy the social theme the school was posing. There was a lot of trash talking and very poor manners on the students part. I was involved in Art and no other extra curricular activities but still I enjoyed my time there.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 31, 2006

Taylor is a great school. I was a student their and i wish i could go back. Great teachers that really care, and mostly good students. Alot better then santan the school where i am now. Taylor makes everybody feel belonged.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 6, 2005

Great school but horrible students.

Posted January 21, 2005

Great School Good teachers.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

Science

n/a
Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 70%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
School psychologist
Speech and language therapist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

Health & athletics

• Nurse(s)
  • School psychologist
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Fax number
  • (480) 472-1616

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge

• Nurse(s)
  • School psychologist
Extra learning resources offered
  • Counseling
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options