Mesa, AZ
Students enrolled: 2,927

Westwood High School 2

Posted December 16, 2014
Gave them two stars just because there is a lot of school spirit. Teaching is lacking. Guidance and student leadership is lacking. Allowing groups of students to continually harass and ridicule other students is not acceptable at any level. If these children are our future, we are in trouble!

Westwood High School 1

Posted September 28, 2014
This is the worse High School. The bullying is out of control and the staff that should do something about it just wants to ignore it!!!! Kids dress horribly and there is not a dress code that is enforced, no one needs to see butt cheeks in school!! The teachers seem oblivious to what students are doing, as they snap chat constantly and instagram. This school is out of control!! We took our child out of the school and should have done that so much sooner. Our child is thriving in their new school!!!

Posted September 23, 2013
Westwood High School is a diverse, endearing school in which students can full engage themselves in getting a proper education. It has many AP classes for honors students and is the only school in the entire state of Arizona to have the entire IB Programme for those truly wishing to extend their education. The teachers and staff really show their compassion for their jobs on a daily basis, and it is a privilege to attend such a school.

Posted May 31, 2013
Dr. Richard just delivered what was probably the BEST high school graduation speech that I have ever heard in my years as a teacher. I know that there are a few entrenched "veteran" teachers on staff who did not care for him. In my opinion it is because, without really saying it, he called them out and challenged them to do more and to have a higher standard and expectation. Some teachers at Westwood have an attitude that they are doing the school a favor by "choosing to teach at Westwood" to "help these poor kids." It is that type of martyrdom mindset that becomes self defeating after a while and before long these good veteran teachers focus so much on their own created sense of self righteousness and "sacrifice" that they miss the forest through the trees and don't notice all of the bigger picture things that need to happen to improve the school as a whole. Dr. Richard pointed that out to many of these people. YES, at times, he could come across as arrogant and judgmental, and was too direct with the district probably when he should have been more political and strategic; but he LOVED kids and was totally passionate about making Westwood better, and, in many ways he did.

Posted February 09, 2013
Hands down, without question, Dr. Richard is the BEST high school principal in our district. I have worked in this district for over 20 years. For the past 10 yrs I watched as our school became complacent with low expectations. Some of the veteran staff, long time staff were guardians of this culture. Dr. Richard issued a challenge, to expect more, from everyone and he has also provided us with the support and motivation that we need. Naturally, there will always be a few people who do not enjoy being asked to get out of their comfort zone, but the vast majority of people are very pleased with the very positive changes and leadership of our new principal. I know many other teachers in the district who would like to join the Westwood staff next year. Because of Dr. Richard, our school is, "On the Rise!"

Posted January 20, 2013
Our new Principal, Dr. RIchard, has has such a positive impact on the kids and teachers at our school with his leadership. I am speaking as an 18 year veteran teacher and I can say that he is the BEST, kids first, principal that I have ever worked with!

Posted January 19, 2013
In my opinion, the leadership of new principal, Dr. Tim Richard is exactly what the school needed! He has inspired students to do better and he has been a motivating cheerleader for the kids and the community. It was too bad the the district tried to throw him under the bus when the media attack dogs came after him, but the guy is a die hard and handled the issue with such class. The students and community rallied to support him. He is a great leader!

Posted November 22, 2012
Dr. Richard is the best principal that we hace ever had! I have been at 3 of the Mesa high schools, and wish that I could have had a principal that was as passionate about school and success as Dr. Richard! If Mesa is listening, they need to get principals like him!

Westwood High School 4

Posted November 08, 2012
I am glad Dr, Richard is our new Principal, he is always around and available to the students . I am graduating this year and this year is much better than the past 3 because of the good changes he made.

Posted November 01, 2010
My 5th child is now attending Westwood. We had him signed up to go at another school, then decided to give Westwood a try. He came home the first day of school the happiest kid on earth, and has been that way ever since. I have attended the open house each year and met the teachers. I am always astounded by the quality. I can't believe that we have teachers like Dr. Woods, Ms. Magnusson, Ms. Nuestro, Mrs. Murphy, etc. I could go on and on. The administration is very responsive. The WW production of "Les Miserables" last year was first rate with a live orchestra. Great sports teams. Wonderful neighborhood. What more could you ask?

Westwood High School
945 W 8th Street, Mesa, AZ  85201
Last modified Westwood High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Westwood High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top