Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (7 responses)

I absolutely love Self Development Academy and have nothing but glowing reviews for the principal, Dr. Majeed, as well as the faculty and staff. My son is about to finish Kindergarten and the tranformation I have witnessed over the course of this academic year has been nothing short of breathtaking. He has blossomed under the guidance of Mrs. Haschke, his teacher. I love that the kids wear uniforms so there are less distractions and kids can focus on the task at-hand. I also love the accelerated curriculum that is a "back to basics" approach to learning, as opposed to all of this Common Core nonsense. Classroom ratios are low (there are 23 kids in his class to one teacher plus an aide). Communication has been great via e-mail, Facebook, as well as physical papers sent home in the backpack. They just broke ground on an expansion project to build a conference room and a media center, as well. So many exciting things to report, not the least of which is my son's academic achievements - - - owed all to SDA and their tireless dedication to developing their students to become a lifelong learners. Thank you SDA!

I have had a great experience with SDA. The staff and faculty have been amazing. I know that a lot of posts on here discuss the teacher to child ratio and when my child attended a public school, the ratios were the same, if not more. I suggest to check out SDA before you make a decision based on the comments of the classroom sizes. Unfortunately, in Arizona, you will see those teacher to student ratios at any school.

Self Development Academy (Charter School) has been an amazing school to work at. This is my sixth year teaching at this school, and I have only good things to say. The support is unbelievable, because resources are used to bring in "pull out teachers," which really helps students to be challenged individually. The school provides a rigorous curriculum, and it's given in a systematic way- so no child is "left behind." This school is student centered, meeting the needs of all students academic success. You will want your child to go here, because it's an exceptional school!

As a 7th year teacher, I truly enjoy going to work everyday at this school and working with the students and my peers. The staff are supportive of the teachers, being educators themselves, and do everything in their power to make sure that not only our experience as teachers is comfortable, but the students learn in a caring and supportive environment. I look forward to continuing my career at this school and strive to exceed the expectations of my students.

As a parent I have had struggles with this school. They are very disorganized and their communication is very poor. We live in technology, so they should use it rather than sending a piece of paper home with the kids. Plus they do not always hand the information out to the kids. They are pushing so hard the kids are not having fun and losing interest in school. There is a lot of homework and the feedback from the teachers is poor. New teachers every year does not make me happy. I never thought I would leave this school but I am seriously considering it.

Develops character: Strongly agree

My daughter has been very lucky to have attended Self Development from kindergarden through eighth grade. I could not of ask for a better well rounded education and nurturing environment for her. Dr Majeed and the staff at Self Development are incredible and because of them my daughter will succeed in High School.

The reviewer from April 26 is correct. The class sizes are very large (example 37 students to 1 teacher in lower grades) with no assistants. This is the first year they actually used email to parents but mainly only for school fundraisers AKA "Family Fun Night." Beware---this school is not free. $150 enrollment fee every year ($120 siblings). This is due when completing the enrollment form and it is Non-Refundable. They say it is for an activity fee but all clubs and violin lessons parents pay extra for. Don't know where this extra goes since there is only one field trip per year to an area museum. This school does a lot in marketing for themselves. Recommend checking out other charters and public schools where there is more focus on science and technology.

Being a teacher at Self Development Academy for nine years has been an amazing experience. The opportunity to grow and develop as a teacher is greatly appreciated. Dr. Majeed is a strong and caring leader who supports her staff and cares for each student. Being apart of our 15 years of success has made me proud. The one aspect I learned about Self Development Academy is that student's learning takes precedence above all.

I have been an employee of Self Development Academy (SDA) for over five years, and I am among the many staff members that return year after year. I truly enjoy arriving at work each day, primarily because of the family-like atmosphere at SDA. I am a part of a team; a team of wonderful people dedicated to enriching the lives of elementary and middle school children. I am proud to say that I am an employee of SDA.

We have been lucky enough to be a family at this school for over ten years now. It has been exciting to see the school grow. This school has been amazing at utilizing multiple ways to communicate with parents this year. They send out emails to parents regarding upcoming events and there is a calendar on their website. They also have a Facebook page that posts events. If you go into the front office they have all flyers that were recently sent home available. Anytime I have been there during the school day I have seen the multiple resource teachers throughout the school working with small groups of children. That is the best part of this school, the principal and teachers treat each child as an individual and ensure they are given what they need to be successful.

Last modified Self Development Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.