7-9 & Ungraded
Mesa, AZ

Posted October 13, 2013
Nothing good about this school.... The principle is very unaware of anything that goes on in the school.. the teachers have favorites and only pick on certain kids in the school. I have a son who goes here and he is always picked on by other students and he is punished for it by the principle.

Posted October 29, 2012
There is NOTHING about this school that is good! We sent two of our sons there and refused to send anymore of our kids there. The teachers do not care about communicating with the parents. The principal was a nice enough guy, but the administration was rude and the counselor was like dealing with a 12 year old. We tried to get an IEP for one of our sons and it was a nightmare! The teachers are even worse, they do not care about the students. They want the students to be held acccountable, which I agree with. But if you as a parent question the teachers, and hold them accountable for their actions, look out! They say they want parent involment, but what that means is you are expected to do 2-3 hours of homework a night with your kids on something that wasn't taught during class time. If they dont "get" the work, expect your kid to stay after school or give up his lunch. There is no extra help from the teachers or the counselors. This was the worst experience of any Jr. High and we have 9 kids. Thank goodness only 2 went there. We have other kids in mesa schools and never had any problems until this, we sent our sons to Desert Ridge, where he got an IEP, with no problems.

Posted March 10, 2010
Honestly, nothing is good about this school. Its a pain to go here everyday and the assistant principal has something messed up in her head. For every report (even the fake reports) she must punish you some how and the lowest she can go is A.L.C. I feel that some of the teachers are uneducated to teach students properly and fairly. But the worst things are that the extremely nasty students are either never punished or not punished bad enough, and there is not many school activities or parent involvement. People complain about the dress code rules and the assistant principal must find anything she can to dress code. The food is unsatisfactory but I blame the district. This place to me seems more scarier than jail. It is a new school with many problems to overcome.

Posted February 23, 2010
I would like to share what this school is like for a normal boy. The 9th grade english and social studies classes are the best. The Band is a great class and the band teacher teaches exceedingly well. The only complaint I have about the school is that they dont enforce F.A.N.G and the teacher's (especially math) seem to only help if they can benefit. overall i say a 2/5. Unfortunately the band program cannot make up for the other failures.

Smith Junior High School 3

Posted January 27, 2010

Posted November 27, 2009

Smith Junior High School 4

Posted July 30, 2009
I think its a great school. The band teacher is really the best and truly cares about her students. I think the dress code is just fine and I dont understand all the complaints I was reading. Apparently nobody remembers how bad it can get. My only complaint is how the attendance issue works. If I call my child in sick that is excused. I am not running her to a doctor and getting a note EVERY time. A parent calling or coming in should be an excused absence.

Posted June 30, 2009
I just finished 8th grade at smith and i have to say, the dress code is an outrage. They don't let hats on campus because how you wear it can be 'gang-related.' They also don't allow band t-shirts because they are associated with a group of people that is a newer label on people. They don't allow you to wear sunglasses behind your head because it's 'gang related.' The vice principal shows way too much cleavage, and walks around looking for the most ridiculous things to dress code. She took my friend's jacket and didn't give it back for a week because it had an icp symbol on it. Most of my complaints go to debra, but other than that, smith is pretty good.

Posted June 29, 2009

Posted June 04, 2009
The school has a no kid left behind but they don't always stick to it. They don't follow up on situations that occur unless it's to their benefit. I am not happy with the way they handle things.

Smith Junior High School
10100 E. Adobe Rd, Mesa, AZ  85207
Last modified Smith Junior High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Smith Junior High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top