Posted June 14, 2014
I was a seventh grader at this school and completely disliked the one year I spent there. Some of the teachers are decent, most are not, however. The honors program is very weak and the advanced kids get held back by the AVID students because they were not in an advanced program the year(s) before. I am switching schools for these reasons. Also, the campus is far too large. There are too many people for there to be an individualized approach to education. Bullying is also a huge issue. Everywhere you walk you walk past at least three cliques. The entire atmosphere of the campus is very negative towards kids dug as mysel who are classified as the "nerds" and "Emo". This past year, the bathrooms have been vandalized several times. Too many times my friends and I have been excluded from certain activities with our peers. One thing that I find interesting is that this school is mostly Mormon, but you can't walk ten feet without hearing some kind if cussing. If you are contemplating sending your child here, I highly eecommend that you do not. Publi schools are going down the drain. Within the first week at this school, I encountered colonies of ants and a snake.

Desert Ridge Jr. High School 4

Posted October 27, 2013
I have both an 8th grader and a 7th grader attending Desert Ridge Junior High. They are both thriving in the public school setting. I was a little worried since they had spent their entire elementary school years at a charter school. But they were able to quickly adapt in their new setting. I think this is in large part to the dedication of the teachers at DRJHS. They all seem to truly care about the students and their education. They are always having to do more with less but yet they strive on and I think for the most part they are doing a fantastic job. Keep up the good work teachers!!

Desert Ridge Jr. High School 5

Posted July 18, 2013
I am an 8th grade student attending Desert Ridge, I am very pleased with the school. My father has seen the difference in education. You want some of the best education you can get? then attend Desert Ridge. The teachers are amazing. If you don't understand something they will help you. every morning and after-noon the hold tutoring sessions. I read that at one point in time the turned off the water fountains in the gym, that is no longer true; there are several spread out in the gym... weight room and 2 in the main gym. Education is high, physical activity is great, and every one is so open. The anti-bullying program is standing strong. Desert Ridge will not put up with bullying. Desert Ridge is a school I will recommend to anyone who is looking for a school with high education a great physical education program and so much more. ~8th grade student

Desert Ridge Jr. High School 3

Posted October 28, 2012
I would have ranked higher, but I do have some issues with the administration of DRJHS. As a busy but concerned parent, I appreciate being kept in the loop as much as possible. The school so far has sent out only a COUPLE mass emails with information. We were never informed of upcoming dances and the fact that our kids needed money for drinks as they turned off the drinking fountains in the gym and were not allowed to go outside to get drinks. That is one glaring example, there have been many other more insignificant in comparison instances where it would be nice to hear from the school. I listed my email address and phone number on every single piece of paper that came home asking for them. As far as the teachers go, they seem to care about the kids and their education, so in the end, that is what TRULY matters. I just wish the administration could exhibit the same concern.

Posted September 06, 2012
I strongly dislike this school .... The teachers are no help what so ever , I was in 7th grade there and i had to leave in the middle of the school year because i was bullied , they say that they have an anti-bullying tolerance (they don't). When i asked for help THEY DIDN'T UNDERSTAND !!! If you don't understand something you need it explained in a different way , right ... Well they don't give you a different explanation , they tell you the same thing over and over again until you end up lieing and saying you understand (but you don't). The math teachers are especially like that , The social studies teachers are cranky , The science teachers are just plain rude , The advisory (RSS) teachers are horrible. The only teachers i personally liked was my language teacher and my elective teacher. The students are rude , they CURSE , they BULLY , they act like because the school is in a high-in-neighborhood that there rich. Girls would go into the restroom and start rumors and drama. When i first saw the school i hated it. Just the way it was set up was bad. So if you do end up sending your child(ren) there PLEASE listen to them , if they say there getting bullied they most likely are.

Posted September 21, 2011
I was very unhappy with this school. My son attended in 7th grade last year and was not happy from the beginning. It was never a welcoming atmosphere. Although they claim they encourage parent involvement, it's quite opposite. They were 2 incidences during gym where my son had his possessions stolen and when I mentioned it, the response was, "oh yeah that happens...just tell your son to make sure he locks his locker". Not quite the response I expected, almost as if it was acceptable behavior. Now, I didn't expect the police to be summoned and I know these things can happen. However, I didn't expect to get such a nonchalant attitude as, oh well, it's your son's fault, your son must have not locked his locker. This happened twice! There was imposed to curb the behavior. It was as if it was too little of an issue to deal with. My son was in honors, had friends and was in sports for fall, winter and spring. He still did not like the kids. There are many clicks and they are generally mean spirited kids. They are some good kids, don't get me wrong, but, I believe they are out numbered. He did have a few good teachers that he respected and learned a great deal from, so it's not all bad.

Desert Ridge Jr. High School 2

Posted August 16, 2011
Not a Fan So Far. Administration seems to be Fine no issues as of yet but extremely disappointed with the students. New to the school and the majority of the students seem to be unfriendly and flat out mean. Dirty glares and clicks. "Hi can you tell me where this class is?" No....Do I know you? Welcome to our school Not Really

Posted August 10, 2011
Administration is difficult to work with. Cares more about paperwork than education of the students. Won't accept my wife's id and acknowledgement that we live in the boundaries because her name is not on the utility bill. What a joke. I didn't care to much for the admistration when my older son went through the school three years ago, this just further frustrates me.

Desert Ridge Jr. High School 4

Posted June 04, 2011
I loved this school. I'm now headed off to the high school next door after spending my 2 years here, and because of my time at DRJHS, I feel certain that I can strive. I'll admit, the school isn't perfect and no one should expect that. My teachers were amazing, though there was one I could have done without. I always felt I could talk to the teachers if I had any problems with it. I think the music program is improving as well as the rest of the. To me, most everyone is caring or respectful, but in all honesty, you have to be in the right mind-frame to truly enjoy it here. I'll miss being a Rattler. GO DRJHS!

Desert Ridge Jr. High School 5

Posted December 11, 2009
I love this school. I never feel left out and I like the homework because its not all easy like my other school made it.

Desert Ridge Jr. High School
10211 E. Madero Ave., Mesa, AZ  85209
(480) 635-2025
Last modified Desert Ridge Jr. High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Desert Ridge Jr. High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top