Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

For one teacher in particular in the Language Arts Department, worst teacher we have ever had between both our children. The other 8 teachers were not really all that special either.

Amount of homework: Disagree

My child did homework from the time they got home from school until 11pm at night sometimes. They had homework every weekend, holiday and even up to the day before school let out.

Develops character: Disagree

I overheard my child's friend ask my child if they ever felt like their language arts teacher treated them more harsh then the rest of the class because that was the way this kid saw it. They could see how he treated my child unfairly compared to the rest of the class.

Completely disappointed with the teachers and administrators at this school. I don't really even know what the purpose of a counselor at school is, we never once heard from them regarding our child's grades. Neither the teachers nor the administrators were concerned with her success. As a parent we can only do so much to help our children at some point the school needs to do there part too.

My son received a mediocre education at best from this school. My daughters experience was better several years ago. The teachers are spending more time telling the kids how bad off the district is financially and that a tax levy must be passed, rather than actually teaching. I do not appreciate my son coming home from school with a stomach ache from worry about his teachers pay and insisting that I must vote to help his teachers. The kids do not deserve to be burdened with adult matters. My son will not be returning in August for this reason.

I read these complaints about this school and I have to speak up. Do you know who complains about DRJHS? Parents of students who don't know how to behave! DRJHS has high expectations for their students. If you think that it is the teacher's fault that your kid can't behave, I say go find another school and see if they will put up with your kid. The large class sizes are bad enough without the teacher having to deal with juvenile delinquents on top of that. So if you have a problem with this school because they are hard on your kid, maybe try some discipline at home and quit sending your problems to this school!

I was a seventh grader at this school and completely disliked the one year I spent there. Some of the teachers are decent, most are not, however. The honors program is very weak and the advanced kids get held back by the AVID students because they were not in an advanced program the year(s) before. I am switching schools for these reasons. Also, the campus is far too large. There are too many people for there to be an individualized approach to education. Bullying is also a huge issue. Everywhere you walk you walk past at least three cliques. The entire atmosphere of the campus is very negative towards kids dug as mysel who are classified as the "nerds" and "Emo". This past year, the bathrooms have been vandalized several times. Too many times my friends and I have been excluded from certain activities with our peers. One thing that I find interesting is that this school is mostly Mormon, but you can't walk ten feet without hearing some kind if cussing. If you are contemplating sending your child here, I highly eecommend that you do not. Publi schools are going down the drain. Within the first week at this school, I encountered colonies of ants and a snake.

I have both an 8th grader and a 7th grader attending Desert Ridge Junior High. They are both thriving in the public school setting. I was a little worried since they had spent their entire elementary school years at a charter school. But they were able to quickly adapt in their new setting. I think this is in large part to the dedication of the teachers at DRJHS. They all seem to truly care about the students and their education. They are always having to do more with less but yet they strive on and I think for the most part they are doing a fantastic job. Keep up the good work teachers!!

I am an 8th grade student attending Desert Ridge, I am very pleased with the school. My father has seen the difference in education. You want some of the best education you can get? then attend Desert Ridge. The teachers are amazing. If you don't understand something they will help you. every morning and after-noon the hold tutoring sessions. I read that at one point in time the turned off the water fountains in the gym, that is no longer true; there are several spread out in the gym... weight room and 2 in the main gym. Education is high, physical activity is great, and every one is so open. The anti-bullying program is standing strong. Desert Ridge will not put up with bullying. Desert Ridge is a school I will recommend to anyone who is looking for a school with high education a great physical education program and so much more. ~8th grade student

I would have ranked higher, but I do have some issues with the administration of DRJHS. As a busy but concerned parent, I appreciate being kept in the loop as much as possible. The school so far has sent out only a COUPLE mass emails with information. We were never informed of upcoming dances and the fact that our kids needed money for drinks as they turned off the drinking fountains in the gym and were not allowed to go outside to get drinks. That is one glaring example, there have been many other more insignificant in comparison instances where it would be nice to hear from the school. I listed my email address and phone number on every single piece of paper that came home asking for them. As far as the teachers go, they seem to care about the kids and their education, so in the end, that is what TRULY matters. I just wish the administration could exhibit the same concern.

Last modified Desert Ridge Jr. High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.