Legacy Elementary School

Charter | K-8 & ungraded | 283 students

Living in Mesa

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $156,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $780.

Posted August 4, 2014

Great Staff and low staff turnover! Staff is positive and dedicated! Great in the Arts, especially performance and drama! For a small school, "You're A Good Man. Charlie Brown" in 2013 and "Annie" in 2014 were very well done! The school has been blessed by some great student talent!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 28, 2014

My son was in kindergarten last year, and I absolutely loved Mrs. Harmor! My son is reading so well and likes going to school. I have always found the staff members to be wonderful, very helpful, and feel welcome at the school. Next year they are going through a bus company so that it will be dependable every day. I am looking forward to another great year.

Posted February 4, 2014

My daughter is in her 4th year here, and I've seen it go downhill quickly. Programs have been cut drastically, and teachers have been laid off to the point that class sizes are as big or bigger than public school classes. At least once a week, I receive notification that there will not be bus transportation, and it's usually very last minute, like getting a call in the middle of the day when I'm at work to say that there's no bus to bring my daughter home. Administration does not seem to care. I've made multiple attempts to reach out to them, only to get placated by canned answers, and not see any real change. My daughter who is a straight A student has struggled with grades this year, because of the high teacher turnover and the lack of support to the kids. I'll be looking to place her in a new school after this year. If you are looking for quality education and staff that truly cares, this isn't the school for your family. They have a long way to go to get back to what they were 4 years ago, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them lose their charter.

Posted January 5, 2014

My 2 children were attending this school. They fired a lot of their teachers at the beginning of the year in order to be able to afford school supplies. All the remaining teachers still have catering lunches at least once a week. My son was being bullied constantly and the school did nothing about it. He was also struggling. He could not read a full sentence and couldn't write more than 15 words but the school still advanced him into the next grade. My daughter was having issues in her classroom. She came home one day and said a couple of the kids in her class were showing and touching their private parts in front of everyone. She told her teacher and all her teacher said was stop telling stories. We went to the principal and he said it would be handled that same day. So we sent her back to school and the issue was still happening. This is a absolute terrible school!!!

Posted January 5, 2014

This school is horrible!!! So many students are being pulled out and teachers leaving. What is wrong with this place?!? Also, I heard from another parent that they fired a bunch of people over Christmas break, not sure as to who but I'm sure there's gonna be a lot of changes. I'm thinking of pulling my child out but might see what the changes have to offer. Ugh, I just want a good education for my child!

Posted December 19, 2013

Legacy is a very bad school! They have no transportation half the time for bus riders, January there will no bus the rest of the year for my children. They don't take bullying seriously, my kids haven't had field trips for two years. Many parents are pulling their kids out and I am looking for a new school.

Posted September 13, 2013

As a concerned parent looking for answers here's what I found. The dance teacher, Mrs. Bronson was let go due to budget cuts as were almost half the teachers. Performing Arts instructor, Mrs. LeSueur, was almost let go by the new principal as well. He is indeed not sold on the performing arts at the school. The P. E. teacher quit and many remaining teachers are looking for other jobs! And this is the first of the year! There is also concern over a "splinter" group of students that came over from another school. For some reason they're being given sanctuary at the East Valley High School instead of following the rules of Legacy where they should be. This, I am told, is because a new ersatz performing arts director at EVH has been trying to put a performing group together and is now trying to rob Legacy of some performing students. The publicized smaller classrooms are now filled to the brim because there's a lack of teachers. The principal seems to have an agenda all his own. Either this mismanaged school will be reduced to nothing or they need better leadership - which would be very possible if one of the asst. principals were placed in charge. Very disfunctional school. Avoid it!

Posted September 12, 2013

I feel as if I was duped into my child attending this school. Their grade scores are rather low and the performing arts has been completely cut. I feel as if there is an underlying tension among the staff and I don't understand it. Everyone keeps leaving the school, teachers and students. I am unsure as a parent if everything is budget cuts or if something else is wrong. My daughter just told me that the PE teacher left as well. I am not sure as no one has told parents that the PE teacher left. This of course happens after the dance teacher left, or was let go, so much has happened I'm not sure. Now they have one recess and no real physical activities. I'm hoping things will get better but I feel what the school sold me on is gone and the principal really has no intention of bringing these things back. I think it is safe to say they are heading in the direction of a basic school which isn't bad, but don't let them sell you on those things I think public relations sees a performing arts school and the principal does not.

Posted August 16, 2013

A parent.. This is my kjds 3rd year..there are good nd bad for this svhool busse are a major issue. Class sizes nd teacher r great..uniforms r a little pricy but does save on that exspense for major school shopping..my children have geown so much since attending there.they give individual help to each student..my only complaint would be the bus system..which is forcing me to switch school.very sad..if it wasnt for the busses it would be perfect.

Posted August 5, 2013

This will be our daughter s second year attending Legacy Elementary. This school has been a God send to our family and I highly recommend considering enrolling your children into this school. This is why: The classrooms are generally not too big, less than 18-20 kids. The teachers are not overwhelmed and actually have time to get to know your child! Homework was reasonable, 30 minutes /night and at the end of the year, she exceeded the standards on her AIMS test. The performing arts teacher, Mrs. Leseur provides an environment of opportunity for girls and boys to sing, dance and act. My family cannot afford singing/acting lessons our 5th grader, but because of Legacy, she was able perform all throughout the school year. Her confidence soared, especially after leaving a nearby public school where she was bullied and ostracized for not living in the neighborhood the school was located in. Legacy is personable and warm. We are fortunate to live close to the school so we can ride bikes or walk. Nothing makes a parent feel better leaving their kids off at school than a teacher or faculty member greeting you and your kid by name. I adore Legacy Elementary! Go Lions!

Posted April 11, 2013

Good school far education but plan on driving your kids to school much of the time they have no backup plans to bus breakdowns and bus driver call ins. This has happened 8 times this year on east side bus.

Posted August 4, 2011

This is my child's 3rd school, and last year was his first year. We will be returning and bringing in my 5 year old for kindergarten. This school did have changes and gave me a red flag alert. when I met the principle and his wife at the 4th July breakfast they are both awesome. I can't wait for the changes this year and he really wants this school to be a community. This school also works with the working parents, one thing PTO is at night instead of during the day. I'm excited for 2011-2012 year.

Posted July 28, 2011

THIS SCHOOL IS AMAZING!!!! This is true Legacy has gone through a lot of changes! What these other parents fail to realize is all of the positive changes yet to come and yes the new principal is stern he expects the students to have respect for themselves as well as the others around them and if this is to much to ask than maybe another school is better for those types of families. My oldest child began Legacy in kindergarten and will be in the 6th grade this year her as well as my other children love Legacy and we as a family are so proud to call this school ours! The staff at LEGACY Is an amazing group of wonderful people! As far as the staff that will not be returning well there were obvious reasons for why they will not be asked back!!! Gooooo Legacy Lions!!!

Posted June 30, 2011

I am greatly disappointed with Legacy School! My children will not be returning next year! The campus is filthy! Principal dishonest and two faced! They cannot hang onto good teachers as they walk out! Or are fired 3 days before school was out! There is No sense of security to the students! The SPED does not have the best intrest of students at heart. The assistant principal herself quit because she didn't agree morally to what was taking place. Test scores will speak for themselves! There is no Lock down procedures on campus, fire alarms are not working, The ant poison dumped on the playground was was my 6 yr olds favorite toy! The campus is not clean or safe! The teachers that were any good will not be back next year! Therefore I will not bring my childback! I cannot trust who is left to properly care or teach my child! It's amazing how in one year they took something great and flushed it down the pipes!

Posted June 4, 2011

YEs, the school went through a transition. The old prinicpal quit, a second grade teacher quit..but that is not a reflection of the school..it was a reflection of those individuals. The new prinicpal is stern and doesn't tolerate misbehaving, but has a gentle heart and takes time to know the needs of each class, each teacher and etc. The autism classes are great, the curriculum is great. Before the new principal came, there were so many UNQUALIFIED teachers and assistants. You cant get mad for the principal wanting to have them trained properly and certified....it is NOT like he is firiing them- he is offering them a chance to get certified or move on. My son has floruished unbelievable here. Every school has its issues, but I have yet to have any. You need to take a tour, speak with the leadership and judge for yourself.

Posted January 22, 2011

Beware of any good reviews. Legacy has gone through a huge transition recently. What I thought of highly last year has fallen apart. The charter holder of this school herself has told me that she has not ordered the curriculum for the '10-'11 school year. We are in Jan! Very alarming. Teacher's have walked out on their job. And the new principal bully's parent's and Children. Even making kids line up and martch in line during recess. Staff and Admin have pulled their own children from the school in the last week. There is very little if any communication home when policies are changed. And our Children are forced to eat lunch in classes. SPED dept. is crooked and the state is investigating. BEWARE!

Posted June 23, 2010

In 2008 Legacy was rated as "underperforming" from AIMS data, in 2010 they have brought this up to Performing Plus!!! Amazing job to the teachers, especially 3-6th

Posted May 26, 2010

We have found Legacy refreshing! The teachers, principal, and staff have all been wonderful and welcoming! We are proud to call Legacy our home school now! When we first moved to legacy my second grader didn't know what a dictionary was, how to do multiplication, or write in cursive. The class sizes are small. Only 14 in my daughters class. My kinder has grown and blossomed in her class! The drama, art, and PE have been a highlight for my girls! I see great things coming from this school!

Posted September 23, 2009

i loved this school my son learned more in this school then in any other school his been to !!!

Posted November 15, 2008

This school is amazing, my kids have attended since Kindergarten. I have watch the school go through some major changes this year and they have all been for the best. The staff is amazing, you could ask for anything better. The teachers are wonderful and really care about the education that the kids are receiving. I wish there were more parents at the school that were more interested in getting involved. It would make things even better. I hear there is a new campus that will be opening next year and I cant wait to see what they have in store for us. Things just keep getting better and better.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Failing to Meet Academic Standards".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

Male 51%N/A51%

Fax number
  • (480) 641-4473

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now