Montessori Education Centre Charter School - North Campus

Charter | K-6 | 214 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 15, 2011

My child has been with Montessori Education Centre now for 4 years and she loves it. We have loved her teachers and all the staff and I recommend this school to other parents!! Every time we walk in the front office we are welcomed by the front staff with a smile on their faces. I know my child is safe and supported when she is there for the day. We love the principal as she has been supportive in every aspect or concern I have ever had regarding my child's development. The teachers communicate well when there is any issue or concern as well as sharing any silly or great accomplishment achieved by my daughter. We love all the teachers as they all greet us when we arrive and leave campus. I would highly recommend this school to any parents looking for a great Montessori School!

Posted March 23, 2014

Parents are responsible for fundraising for computers, recess equipment, art supplies, etc. The list of supplies parents are responsible for is lengthy, yet this school pays for the Principal's on campus babysitter for her infant which she nurses during parent conferences. The upper level teachers were fired from previous jobs and offer very little direction to the students. The curriculum is not challenging. Student who left this school were very behind in their new schools. There is very little science or music. Some teachers are not certified.

Posted March 21, 2014

I am so glad we found this school. Montessori curriculum, wonderful staff, and a wonderful and committed directress who all seem to love their jobs, and our kids. My kids like school! I am really happy with my now 4th and 6th graders academic and social progress over the last 3 years that they have been at MEC. We could not be happier.

Posted February 26, 2014

My son was placed in a classroom with a new teacher. If he did not finish his work in time lost his recess. What kid would not get upset about repeatedly losing his recess so he throws a tantrum. Teachers idea of solving the problem CPS. Yes got reported to CPS! I asked the principle to remove my son from this class and it never happened. I use to love this school but unfortunately I HATE IT NOW! Oh and BTW CPS case was closed on 1 visit go figure....

Posted September 24, 2012

All I can say is run as fast as you can.... This school will destroy your child.. The damage this school will be with your child for life. Learn by other mistakes and make your choice wisely.. A teacher should never tell a child they will not help them learn when a child ask's for help with reading or math. Be sure to review the school's administrative reports with the ADE. RUN....

Posted June 16, 2009

This school is a great school for my kids. I would recommend it to everyone that is looking for a true Montessori School. The office staff is so caring and helpful to the students and the parents.

Posted September 12, 2008

My daughter has attended the school since fall of 2005. Currently she is in the second grade. Until this year, I had serious doubts that she would remain in the school because there was a serious lack of direction in her classes and she did not have the consistent teachers we were promised. However last year my daughter got a teacher that has a more permanent understanding of what needs to be done and had more discipline and focus in the class room and my daughter is now reading above grade level and loves her school. Her math skills are above grade and she is moving right along wonderfully. I do agree, they need more music programs but that does cost money.

Posted July 22, 2007

The quality of the academic programs seem to have slowed down, they are not at the same level nor have they surpassed the level they were at 2 years ago, they continue to slowly diminish. There is not much of music, sports or other extracurricular activities, there needs to be more art then finger painting and color by numbers. There are some teachers who care more about popularity with certain parents then teaching ALL of the kids.

Posted July 19, 2007

I found the experience for the last three years to be less than satifactory in respect to disapline, education, and communication.

Posted June 19, 2006

My daughter has attended from 3 yrs to 6th grade. She is ADD and in many ways this was helpful. My son has attended preschool to second. I love the small school atmosphere though, and the community feel.

Posted April 25, 2006

Not enough music, art and sport

Posted March 10, 2005

Caring Teachers although some not 'State Certified' make this School a terrific Place to educate young minds. The Montessori teaching methods Has given my 7 year old a head start on his learning habits. I await his testing results next year for confirmation of my beliefs.

Posted May 18, 2004

Good Montessori curriculum and good learning environment.

Posted April 23, 2004

Both my children have attended MEC North since its opening in 2001. The montessori enviornment and experience has been a very positive one for both of my children. The non traditional classroom, exciting materials, individualed study and exceptional staff has made this a positive choice for our family. We wanted to be involved in our children's education and this environment provides and supports on-going dialogue with all staff members whose primary goal and responsibility has always what is best for the child. I appreciate the courtesy, respect and dignity my children are provided with as human beings verses the more common philosphy that children wouldn't understand or don't have thoughts or feelings on more complicated issues. This environment truly celebrates the uniqueness and wholeness of each child.

Posted October 15, 2002

We are new this year to MEC (although not new to Montessori), our son is in 1st grade. I am thrilled we got a space here, it is a well-organized Montessori school and the benefit of charter saves us money. It offers great activities we can choose from, the environment is very professional yet warm and friendly. Our son commented, ""it's a happy school."" The children learn to love learning, and Ms. Leisla has created a fantastic classroom for them! The school is a great size, big enough fo diversity, yet not too big to lose personal attention by the staff both to children and parents. They work hard to communicate with parents - good info. sent home consistently to tell us what's going on. I know if our son ever leaves Montessori, and particularly this one, he will be far ahead of the public school levels of children his age.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing".

Asian 0% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

815 N. Gilbert Rd.