Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Grateful to: Parent

Not surprising that Dr. Fleming did NOTHING to help my child while they were being bullied, this man is a bully himself! He's bullied teachers and staff into leaving and he's bullied parents into withdrawling their students and moving them into charter schools. Something needs to be done! School should be a safe place.

You would think by now the district would have replaced the principal! He is the worst EVER! Every year there is such a huge turnover of staff because of this man! Run far away from this school! I'm just glad this is my child's last year. Even my child hates going to school now because of the principal.

We recently moved to Mesa from Columbus, Ohio where our son attended catholic school. We were apprehensive about public schools but have been so happy with our experience at Canyon Rim so far. We love that the school is in the center of our community and that the school has a very active PTA. His teacher is actively engaged with the class and skilled at seeing her students potential. She has found ways to challenge our son and encourage his initiative.She has . The entire staff is warm and friendly. You can immediately sense how much they truly care about their students. This entire community is family centric and parents are very involved at this school. We could not be happier.

We are looking forward to a new principal with new ideas and less micromanagement! Good-bye Dr. Brenner! We feel sorry for the school district that picks her up though. Be prepared for someone breathing down your neck teachers. Everything needs to go past her first. Parents, she will change everything she touches.!! Canyon Rim can breath now! Thankful for a new year starting in 2013

I cannot say enough good things about Canyon Rim, its faculty, and staff! I grew up in a close-knit school where my mom taught and thought it would be difficult to find the same type of caring environment for my children - especially when I wasn't able to be at the school during the week. I was wrong! Canyon Rim goes above and beyond. The teachers and principal are caring educators, who truly have each student's best interest at heart. The PTA is hard-working, but amazingly open to new blood and volunteers (even from a working mom like me!) This is not one of those schools that caters only to one sub-set of families. They are welcoming and work hard to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to learn and grow. Kudos to Canyon Rim and to Mrs. Brenner for fostering such a nurturing school experience.

The principle is awesome. She has great communication skills and is passionate about her school. The school overall is well maintained and offers plenty of extra-curricular activities. However, the sheer size of the student body is staggering. My daughter attended kindergarten there and then started first grade. In both classes there were close to 30 kids. The teachers that I knew would only allow parents in the classroom for a few hours in the morning-one parent at a time. So if your schedule didn't allow, or another parent picked a day you could go, you were not to be included in the classroom. This is bothersome because one teacher with 30 kids cannot possibly meet the educational needs of the students and you would think they would encourage all the extra helping hands they could get! As a result of poor support and large class sizes, punishment tends to be doled out in order to control the classroom. Plus the education is very far from experiential. The kids do massive amounts of worksheets and rarely dabble in science and arts. Its just not a very good education being offered there, but as far as public school goes I think its pretty normal.

I am very disappointed thus far in Canyon Rim. The teachers DO NOT foster learning, they are not innovative. My best friend teaches at Eduprize in Queen Creek. When I visited that school and observed the curriculum and the way they make learning fun I would have transferred my son if it was not for the distance. Canyon Rims focus is discipline. They do not allow that kids will make mistakes. Not my first choice. Its not the worst but definitely not in my top 5 school. Its a shame because they have a lot of parents that try to be involve.

My children have attended this school for years, my oldest graduating from the 6th grade into the Junior High school. I once Loved this school and could never imagine removing them. Unfortunately, this has changed. I don't feel the teachers are invested in their students as they once were. The community feel that I so enjoyed is dwindling away. As in previous post I have read stated, there are inappropriate behaviors that are over looked, even in the lower levels. I feel that this is no longer a school that is the right fit for my children and have decided to look into other options for this coming school year.

My son went to this school for 1st Grade, 2nd Grade and 3rd Grade (2009/2010 school year). We were happy with the first 2 Grades, but 3rd Grade was a frustrating time for my all A student. He didn't like 3rd grade, though he loved his teachers in each grade level. Class management was an issue in his 3rd Grade class (I feel like his class was unfairly stacked against the teacher's ability to manage that amount of disruptions) and many times full class punishments were given taking away much needed recess or PE time. My son chose to try a different school because he felt he didn't deserve all these punishments when he was behaving as he was asked to behave. He was also tired of the military-like treatment to see which line was quieter to get to go to lunch. It's not a terrible school by any means, but I'm sad to say it's just not for our family at this point.

Here is something you may want to know: students grades 4 and up are not always appropriate. Actually, they are usually not appropriate for school. There are bad influences, and the principal and teachers are NOT involoved in what the students say and do behind the scenes. My 3 kids that go to this school always come saying things like, "they were fighting behind the portables!" or "they kissed at the ramada, but the aides didnt see." That is one reason why i am uncomfortable with this school. Another reason is that the kids there are not very friendly. They dont hang out with all kids, but stay social with there group very strictly. Some kids are also lonley, and that is effecting there grade work. I would know, because 2 of my kids friends left them to hang out with others, and there average grade went down.

Last modified Canyon Rim Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.