Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Zaharis is a unique, amazing school! I have one child who went from kinder through 6th grade and another currently in 5th grade. The teachers truly care about students and go above and beyond to make sure they are learning and growing, whether they are at, above, or below grade level. They work hard to provide real-world learning experiences, rather than boring out-of-context textbook activities, encouraging students to think critically and share their ideas with others. You can feel the caring as you walk through the hallways and in the classrooms. My children absolutely LOVED their experiences! I wouldn't want my children to go anywhere else!

My niece is having to transfer out of Zaharis due to extreme bullying in 4th grade. When the teacher was informed of what was going on, her response was and I quote "I don't deal with drama" well its not "drama" its bullying in its rawest form. Notes being left in her desk calling her names, having to sit alone at lunch, being called ugly or brace face. ITS NOT OK! It is so disappointing that such a well known school in Arizona wont take a stance against a very obvious problem that many students are being exposed to, due to the celebrity status of many of the parents there. They choose to allow the more wealthy parents to line their pockets and fund the school, even if its their child doing the bullying. Its completely unacceptable and I would never want my child to be an environment that she didn't feel completely accepted and comfortable. Someone needs to call the news station and take a stance against the school, teachers and principle that choose to continue to allow this to be acceptable under their supervision. STOP enabling these children that think its ok to behave this way.

Great Principal and teachers! Awesome learning environment, they make learning fun! I have never seen a school like this one!

Amount of homework: Agree

My child receives enough homework to be engaged and meaningful, yet not overwhelming. My child is challenged, yet not frustrated.

Zaharis is a wonderful community-oriented elementary school. The teachers and staff are very committed to education and delivering the very best to their students. My child is thriving at this school, and reading chapter books in first grade, and is making lots of progress. We are enjoying the school and all it has to offer!

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Teachers are not bad. Commication is poor and no way I am letting my continue school here

Develops character: Disagree

This school fosters bullies and does not take appropriate action. Kids learn that issues get swep under the rug and they can do what ever

Mr. Oliver is fantastic, too bad he is a temporary worker. My kids have been bullied and inappropriately touched by older kids. Another kids had a nasty cut and got stitches and I found by a very late night phone call by the parent's mother saying my child was involved. He has learned many swear words at this school and now hates school. Many other kids don't even do recess more

We have had kids at Zaharis for 11 years now. What an amazing school! All the teachers and staff are excellent and the culture is so warm and inviting. We're so thankful we have had the opportunity to be a part of this school.

We moved into the area from out of state, and with natural trepidation explored our options for our soon-to-be-newly minted Kindergartner, our son who is long on "bright & spirited," not so much on "focused attention." The school currently scores an 8 as compared with some neighboring schools scoring a 10; I suppose one has to wonder what that actually translates to for an individual child. All we can say is we can't be more thankful we ended up at Zaharis. Ms Pena, our son's kindergarten teacher, has been a perfect match, the parental involvement and school spirit is strong, and the principal Mr. Oliver makes a special note of of describing himself as "prince-a-pal," a fun twist but appropriate -- he allows his teachers the freedom to stack their walls with books cover side out (clever rain-gutter shelving), and inspires everyone in the age-old tradition of learning through reading. We feel lucky to have landed here.

Last modified Zaharis Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.