Mesa, AZ
After care: No

Posted June 26, 2014
I used to go to the school and I was not bullied at all, I made lots of friends, the teacher are very nice, it's a very very amazing school. I feel accepted there. I was struggling in math and my teacher let me go in after school and helped me get my grade up to a B and I also feel grown up like I had responsabilities.

Posted October 27, 2013
Our daughter is in her third year at the Mesa Academy for Advanced studies. She LOVES this school! The teachers are all really interested in challenging their students, but in a truly creative way. I don't know of another school (at least a public school) where discussions of history, world geo-politics, the integration of algebraic math into all parts of adult life, etc. are carried on. Our daughter likes all of her teachers (some better than others...that's a kid thing), and gets herself up every morning looking forward to going to school that day. That itself is a testimonial to the Academy staff. The school is NOT for every child! And these kids are not all "gifted"...in fact, what they are is excited about learning. On a final note, Bob Crispin, the Principal, is one of the best I've ever seen! I've had children in public schools for more than 30 years...I've had a LOT of experience...and Mr. Crispin is head and shoulders above any elementary school principal I've known. Some comments indicate that it's not perfect. What is?

Posted October 27, 2013
Mesa Academy for Advanced Studies is a great school for children who excel. This school gives them the challenge they need. It is not for everyone. The principal does a pretty good job of weeding out the candidates that probably won't make it here. Your child has to be organized and want to be a high achiever. Your child needs to be self motivated. Most of the teachers are fantastic! There are a couple who should not be teaching here or anywhere else. Mr. Crispin is the most hands on pricipal I have ever seen. He knows all the students names and they really like him!

Posted August 22, 2013
This school is wonderful! The classes offered are wonderful and the teachers really take the time to help the students. Mr Crispin is a fabulous leader for the school.

Posted August 06, 2013
As a graduate of the Mesa Academy, I can say that it is a great school in all aspects. It is very safe, with absolutely no drugs of any sort to my knowledge and there are rarely any fights, the technology is very advanced and there are enough computers for everyone, the staff is mostly fantastic, all the teachers and the rest of the staff genuinely care about you and your education and are always happy to help you with anything you need, the curriculum is very advanced and will definitely challenge just about anyone. There seem to be a lot of rumors, as well, that the Academy will take away your social life and have you studying and doing homework 24/7, this is only true for those who either over-work themselves or don't manage their time wisely, others have plenty of free time. To me, the best part of this school is the family aspect of it, because this school is so small every body knows every body , one should expect to become very close to the staff and a majority of the students. Overall, the Mesa Academy has prepared me to face any challenge that high school throws at me and left me with 5 years of great memories and friends that will last for a lifetime.

Posted July 08, 2013
As a parent, here's what I've learned about the Academy... 1. Teachers post grades online. Check frequently so there are no surprises. If you have questions about your child's performance, contact the teachers directly by email or phone. 2. The classes are IB which means they are challenging. The students work at above-grade level. Students are expected to take responsibility for their learning experiences. 3. There are 7 classes for the older kids, and 10 classes (on a wheel) for the younger kids. Time management is key. If your child has too much homework, see if he is using class time efficiently and tell him to ask questions before going home. 4. There are a ton of clubs for kids to make friends. 5. You must plan on being a part of your child's educational experiences. I found that just because my daughter earned straight A's at her previous school did not mean she would earn A's at the Academy. She has to work harder than ever, but she loves it! We can't believe all she's learned and how much further ahead she is than her old classmates. I recommend this school to everyone who wants academic challenges for their children. The test scores say it all.

Mesa Academy for Advanced Studies 1

Posted April 12, 2013
My child has been attending Mesa Academy for 2 years. It has been a struggle since the beginning. The expectations are very high for even advanced students. There is minimal direction given by the science instructors and they are cold and unhelpful. For example, the first year, 4th grade, my child was expected to invent something. My child is very bright but asking a 9 year old to invent something with minimal instruction was a bit much. Every year we have gone to the principal to discuss our concerns and went away feeling reassured and confident to later be disappointed when promises were not followed through. I was also surprised to find out that this school didn't have parent teacher conferences. My child would be doing excellent in classes and then the final grades would be sent home and he was failing. I never received any calls from his teachers or guidance counselor. Getting in touch with the teachers took days and they didn't seem interested in helping my child succeed. If your 9 year old can function as a high school student then this might be the school for your child. If your child needs more direction and encouragement then you may need to keep looking.

Posted January 19, 2013
I used to go to the Mesa Academy, and I can honestly say that it was probably the best thing that ever happened to me, but before saying anything too convincing, you should know this school is not for those not ready for a challenge. This is a school where everyone can be friends, the principal knows every last student by name, where you get a special academic edge, and if you're struggling, you can ask any single of the teachers for extra help.

Posted October 28, 2012
My child is a 6th grader at MAAS and absolutely loves it. This is her 2nd year at The Academy and it just keeps getting better. The teachers are very approachable and willing to give extra help if needed. The after school activities are varied enough to appeal to all students. The staff and principal are wonderful. I highly recommend this school to any family who wants their child to be challenged and grow both academically and socially.

Posted August 13, 2012
My daughter has just started her second year at Mesa Academy and is more excited about returning than she was about starting her first year. She was previously enrolled in a 5 Star Charter School (according to Great Schools ratings) where she skipped second grade. After interviewing with the school, we were fearful that she might not do well with already advanced students who were also a year older than she, but in the interest of her getting the best education possible, we enrolled her in Mesa Academy. She wound up getting the President's Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement at the end of the school year due in no short measure to the quality and attention of the administration, the teachers, and of course her parents! Mesa Academy is indeed a GREAT SCHOOL, but we as parents must also take an active role in our children's education, and recognize both their talents AND weaknesses, and not always blame the institution for their shortcomings. Mesa Academy is not for all students...only those capable of participating in advanced studies...not whining about curriculum, homework, note-taking, the prinicpal and/or teachers.

Mesa Academy for Advanced Studies
6919 E. Brown Road, Mesa, AZ  85207
Last modified Mesa Academy for Advanced Studies is a Public school that serves grades 4-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mesa Academy for Advanced Studies Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top