Bad
Good

This school is everything you think it would and should be, and more. It is the most challenging school environment imaginable. They children are not all geniuses and it is definitely NOT easy. So, yes, it is rigorous. And challenging. And exciting. And full of excited and motivated teachers asking for the most from their students. And, they are getting it! My son, who is very challenged from an organizational and self-directed perspective, is thrilled every day to go to school at Mesa Academy. He is excited to learn and his curiosity for his subjects and the world around him has never been greater. I truly could not ask for a better school environment for him. The teachers, principal and staff are off-the-charts great. The assignments and interactive class work bring out the best in everyone. You can definitely tell that the teachers are not just phoning it in. Everyday it is something new, with materials presented in intriguing and stimulating ways. As for the students, they are hard-working, smart, kind and supportive of each other and are all excelling in their own passions. Is my son at the top of his class? No. Was he at his other school? Yes. Is that ok with us? Most definitely, yes. Don't be afraid to come to this school. Be prepared to support your student through the trying times (and there will be trying times, regardless of the student, they will see to that!) but the benefits so far outweighs the costs, you will be delighted and grateful that you took the plunge. We love it here! And think you will too!

I attended Mesa Academy for Advanced Studies from when I was in 5th grade and has graduated from this school last year. My experience there was very positive, and I am proud to call myself to be a former Academy Knight. The teachers there are so wonderful and understanding, and they are willing to go the extra mile just to help students in their studies. They also recognize those students that have different learning styles and abilities. The staff there are amazing; They help make the school a positive and enjoyable place to learn in. When I first came to this school in 5th grade, I was really nervous since I didn't know anyone there that was in my grade, however, as my journey continued on at this school, I made so many friends and have placed many milestones. I would like to thank everyone at this school for helping me discover my strengths and weaknesses and develop new interests that I never knew I would find to like. There are many clubs that you can get involved in. I highly recommend Mesa Academy because this school will help challenge students in their studies and help them to become critical thinkers.

I used to go to the school and I was not bullied at all, I made lots of friends, the teacher are very nice, it's a very very amazing school. I feel accepted there. I was struggling in math and my teacher let me go in after school and helped me get my grade up to a B and I also feel grown up like I had responsabilities.

Our daughter is in her third year at the Mesa Academy for Advanced studies. She LOVES this school! The teachers are all really interested in challenging their students, but in a truly creative way. I don't know of another school (at least a public school) where discussions of history, world geo-politics, the integration of algebraic math into all parts of adult life, etc. are carried on. Our daughter likes all of her teachers (some better than others...that's a kid thing), and gets herself up every morning looking forward to going to school that day. That itself is a testimonial to the Academy staff. The school is NOT for every child! And these kids are not all "gifted"...in fact, what they are is excited about learning. On a final note, Bob Crispin, the Principal, is one of the best I've ever seen! I've had children in public schools for more than 30 years...I've had a LOT of experience...and Mr. Crispin is head and shoulders above any elementary school principal I've known. Some comments indicate that it's not perfect. What is?

Mesa Academy for Advanced Studies is a great school for children who excel. This school gives them the challenge they need. It is not for everyone. The principal does a pretty good job of weeding out the candidates that probably won't make it here. Your child has to be organized and want to be a high achiever. Your child needs to be self motivated. Most of the teachers are fantastic! There are a couple who should not be teaching here or anywhere else. Mr. Crispin is the most hands on pricipal I have ever seen. He knows all the students names and they really like him!

This school is wonderful! The classes offered are wonderful and the teachers really take the time to help the students. Mr Crispin is a fabulous leader for the school.

As a graduate of the Mesa Academy, I can say that it is a great school in all aspects. It is very safe, with absolutely no drugs of any sort to my knowledge and there are rarely any fights, the technology is very advanced and there are enough computers for everyone, the staff is mostly fantastic, all the teachers and the rest of the staff genuinely care about you and your education and are always happy to help you with anything you need, the curriculum is very advanced and will definitely challenge just about anyone. There seem to be a lot of rumors, as well, that the Academy will take away your social life and have you studying and doing homework 24/7, this is only true for those who either over-work themselves or don't manage their time wisely, others have plenty of free time. To me, the best part of this school is the family aspect of it, because this school is so small every body knows every body , one should expect to become very close to the staff and a majority of the students. Overall, the Mesa Academy has prepared me to face any challenge that high school throws at me and left me with 5 years of great memories and friends that will last for a lifetime.

As a parent, here's what I've learned about the Academy... 1. Teachers post grades online. Check frequently so there are no surprises. If you have questions about your child's performance, contact the teachers directly by email or phone. 2. The classes are IB which means they are challenging. The students work at above-grade level. Students are expected to take responsibility for their learning experiences. 3. There are 7 classes for the older kids, and 10 classes (on a wheel) for the younger kids. Time management is key. If your child has too much homework, see if he is using class time efficiently and tell him to ask questions before going home. 4. There are a ton of clubs for kids to make friends. 5. You must plan on being a part of your child's educational experiences. I found that just because my daughter earned straight A's at her previous school did not mean she would earn A's at the Academy. She has to work harder than ever, but she loves it! We can't believe all she's learned and how much further ahead she is than her old classmates. I recommend this school to everyone who wants academic challenges for their children. The test scores say it all.

My child has been attending Mesa Academy for 2 years. It has been a struggle since the beginning. The expectations are very high for even advanced students. There is minimal direction given by the science instructors and they are cold and unhelpful. For example, the first year, 4th grade, my child was expected to invent something. My child is very bright but asking a 9 year old to invent something with minimal instruction was a bit much. Every year we have gone to the principal to discuss our concerns and went away feeling reassured and confident to later be disappointed when promises were not followed through. I was also surprised to find out that this school didn't have parent teacher conferences. My child would be doing excellent in classes and then the final grades would be sent home and he was failing. I never received any calls from his teachers or guidance counselor. Getting in touch with the teachers took days and they didn't seem interested in helping my child succeed. If your 9 year old can function as a high school student then this might be the school for your child. If your child needs more direction and encouragement then you may need to keep looking.

I used to go to the Mesa Academy, and I can honestly say that it was probably the best thing that ever happened to me, but before saying anything too convincing, you should know this school is not for those not ready for a challenge. This is a school where everyone can be friends, the principal knows every last student by name, where you get a special academic edge, and if you're struggling, you can ask any single of the teachers for extra help.

Last modified Mesa Academy for Advanced Studies is a Public school that serves grades 4-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.