Benjamin Franklin Charter School - Mesa

Charter | K-6

Posted March 26, 2013

After an extremely bad year, and a letter from some lady none of us know, I'm highly upset to see that my child has to go somewhere else. My child has spent the entire year receiving inconsistent teaching, with conflicting reports sent home. We were told that we could go to the Gilbert Campus, only to be told later that it wasn't available either- that it would be moved, too. A call the the principal yesterday showed that she wasn't even on campus to be questioned. I certainly hope that my review isn't flagged again, but I will continue to make it.

Posted March 25, 2013

After an extremely poor year, families were informed 8 weeks prior to the end of the year that the school is closing. We were informed via an informal email/letter from some woman I've never heard of and were told we could drive to the Gilbert Campus or ask the front desk about other options. This entire year was a joke from a 3rd grade teacher who is more suited to teach high school to unsupportive administration who make excuses for their negligent staff. This was a year that could make or break my student's value of school and the teacher spent more of the year nit picking him rather than teaching him. After 3 prior successful years, this was a HUGE disappointment. Sadly, I have to say I am not surprised they are closing from their wishy washy support staff to their high school level politics. In this school you are either mormon or worthless in their eyes. Unless of course you have money to donate. It wasn't hard to see this school coming apart at its seams this year. The best thing I can pull from this is that our family is forced to find a much better educational environment for our child. I certainly hope the other campuses aren't run in such a poor manner.

Posted March 23, 2013

We just received news yesterday that Ben Franklin Mesa is closing at the end of this school year. I cannot say I am surprised as the school as dealt with alot of changes and have not been able to roll with them successfully. I will miss the many great families I have met over the years. I wish they could have given us more notice as most charter schools in the area have already had their registration for the upcoming school year.

Posted March 23, 2013

This campus is closing after many years. Although a great program, the Mesa campus principal is never there anymore. I have been very disappointed this year in my dealings with her. On Monday morning I will be calling the Gilbert campus to see if I can get my children in there this year.

Posted March 18, 2013

We moved mid-year and transferred our kindergartner here. He loves it and I love it. The kindergarten teacher is really on top of things. Whenever I visit the campus I am impressed by the kids and the (in general) missing "attitude" when observing even the older students. They may have limited resources, but I appreciate the small school atmosphere and attention to academics and character.

Posted June 20, 2012

We could not be any happier with this school. Great teachers and great parents. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted September 2, 2011

One thing to mention is that this school has no team sports, only what is played in PE. The library is an occasional offering in an empty classroom, but when there are too many students, there is no more library. There are no computers available to the students. There is not always a play each year, but sometimes there is one play offered for older students. It is a small school with most classes in trailers and very limited resources. Otherwise, the school does what it can with what it has.

Posted August 20, 2011

I initially loved this school for my child based on the ideas of teaching the constitution, principles and preparing them to be good citizens. As previously posted, there is nothing available for advanced/gifted students. While there is no proclaimed religion at this school, you will find that the dress code is in accordance with LDS guidelines and the social aspect is not friendly towards non LDS families. There is definately a pecking order when it comes to the administration caring about parental concerns, if you are not in the club, do not expect the principal to even respond to your questions or ideas. With that being said, the kindergarten teacher is an incredible lady who will go above and beyond to help your child do their best. Safety is also a concern, the outdoor aides are useless and often daydreaming or socializing when they should be watching the children.

Posted June 20, 2011

I think this is a wonderful school. My children have been attending for many years. I think your race survey was right on track. Another item that parents may want to consider is the religious orientation of the school. This school is primarily based on a staff and student population from a particular religious base and families that are not a part of this religion can be made to feel uncomfortable. This is something they may want to research before becoming a part of the program.

Posted February 28, 2010

When I was searching for schools for my daughter who was entering kindergarten I found Benjamin Franklin. I am so glad that I found this school because it is such a wonderful place. They have just the right amount of love and dicipline to make this school work. I love how envolved this school is with the children and keeping parents envolved. They keep the classrooms at a decent size so every child is taken care of. I love the fact that they praise kids and recognize them for the good things they do and not just the bad like I have seen a lot of schools because they are overwhelmed. They teach children to reach their full potential and they also teach respect which was a huge thing for me. They also encourage and love parents to be in the class rooms to help. I recommend this school to everyone!

Posted February 9, 2010

From the principal to the teachers, this school really cares about every single child. I love the concentration on Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. I am also impressed with the way each teacher consistantly structures the class so that no time is wasted and every minute is spent on learning. They even skip count on there way to class! I also love the Flag Ceremony in the morning where the teachers talk about different virtues every month and the students are honored for displaying these values. What a great school this is. I highly recommend that you pop in any time and visit a class, you will be so impressed.

Posted April 29, 2009

Super happy with the teachers and staff. I really like the small campus and how much everyone cares about the students. The expectations are high but not unachievable. The Spalding method is wonderful and even the kindergarteners learn how to read, write, and spell. Yeah!

Posted April 24, 2009

We are in our 10th year at Ben frankin mesa campus, and very pleased with the entire program. Parents can be and are encouraged to be involved with their childs education.I feel extreamly informed about all of my childrens strengths and weaknesses, great parent teacher communication, your child will recieve an excellent education here, and obedient behavior is not only expected but insisted on, so all of the classrooms are very much 'under control' their is never a need to wonder what your childs day is like because at any time any parent is welcome to either help in the classroom or simply observe.Our new principal Mrs.Baker is wonderful addition to our school ,keep up the great work!

Posted March 2, 2009

Franklin provides an adequate education for an average student but they cannot provide for the advanced student or the struggling student. They simply don't have the resources nor the training. I would suggest the public school setting if your child falls into either of these categories.

Posted May 23, 2008

This was our first year at Benjamin Franklin, but we knew we needed something different, that our local distric school wasn't providing. We have been very pleased with every aspect of the schools acedemic program and quality. We love our boys teachers and the attention given to their acedemic progress. My husband and I always felt well informed. Thanks for a great first year! We'll be back!

Posted May 3, 2008

As a parent I chose this school because I could be involved with my childs education. When choosing this school remember that it was a choice to attend. This school delivers what it says. It has high expectations and an excellerated curriculum. Parents who support the curriculum help to make the program work. One thing that I have learned is that the policies are set in place and the teachers are expected to adhear to them. I, as a parent must also adhear to the policies whether I like them or not. If I choose to not agree with the policies, I have the choice to move my child to another school. I love the small personal feel of the Mesa campus and enjoy the faculty and staff. I highly recommend Benjamin Franklin Charter School Mesa.

Posted April 2, 2008

My daughter has learned so much! It's amazing to hear my kindergartner read so good and speaking eloquently. Mrs. Stradling is an amazing teacher.

Posted January 11, 2008

It is fair to say that this school has excellent curriculum and the teachers are well qualified. They also have some interesting programs. We were very involved at this school. We have sent six of our children to this school, trying on two separate occasions. There is too much rigidity and negativity on campus, from the administration on down.

Posted July 10, 2007

I'm coming from a public school and have found more interest and involvement with my child, less children in the classroom which enables the teacher to spend more one on one time. My child has turned his self esteem around and is doing quite well and does not want to return to the public school where his 'friends' go to school. I appreciate the teaching methods and the teachers. I wish the dress code was not so strict.

Posted July 8, 2007

I enjoy having my child at this school very much. All the teachers spend one on one time with each student. I respect his school greatly and I feel completely safe with leaving my child at this school.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

42 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Female 45%N/A49%
Male 55%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2345 N. Horne