Burke Basic School

Charter | K-6 | 883 students

Living in Mesa

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $74,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $710.

Sweep tile

Posted December 16, 2013

Our daughter, now in 8th grade, attended K-6 at Burke Basic School. She received an excellent, solid education. The teachers were wonderful, as were the director, principal, and staff members. It is obvious that everyone really cares about the students and whether they are progressing. The expectations for both academics and behavior are high. Now in junior high, our daughter is taking all honors classes, and I believe that the core education she received at Burke Basic is one of the reasons.

Posted August 7, 2013

I have 2 children attending this school since KG, they are now in 4th & 2nd. I've loved this school since day one the education my boys get is awesome and blows my mind how great these teachers here teach both my boys have learned so much so quick and the character traits they teach have really made a difference in the way they carry them selves, I will truly miss this school when its time for my son to move on to 7th. Highly recommend this school and its AFTERCARE program (great&affordable)

Posted July 16, 2013

My son has been attending Burke Basic since Kindergarten. He will now be entereing the Fourth Grade this year. I am always pleased with the academic rigor and structure that is at my child's school. I am so pleased with the educational fieldtrips, the phonics program that is implemented, friendliness of all of the staff, and that I, the parent, matter and I am encouraged to take part in my child's education. I also love that the homework sent home is very minimal. This is important to me as a working parent with young children at home. I enjoy the Character First Program that teaches my child good moral values each month and the morning assemblies where they recite the character trait for that month and also say the Pledge of Allegiance. Not many schools teach patriotism anymore like they did when I was in elementary school. My daughter will be attending Kindergarten this year and can't wait! This is the school for you!!!

Posted August 29, 2012

My children have been going to burke for two years now. Last year everything was great for the most part, however i do have some issues with the dress code! Kids are not allowed to were there jackets unless they are red, blue, or white. No bows or nothing in the hair, this is a bit much but you deal due to the great acadimics. This year i love my kids teachers but its being a lot of kids ganging up on other kids. I have been to the school three times already to try to get things handled. Mr gaddy is Awsome but how much can one stand for. Based on acadimics alone the school is great. I do agree with everyone else there should be some sort of after school program. And better communication for the programs they do have.

Posted May 23, 2011

I am verry pleased with my sons education achievement's at this school. Although he is not so pleased with the playground not having swings. I had him in a public school which I was very upset with because they where keeping him from recess because of the way he colored either to sloppy if he went fast or didn't finish in time because he went to slow. That has never been an issue at Burke. His teacher is concerned with his education goals, like reading, spelling and math more than just coloring. The parking lot is a nightmare, but it's a small price to pay considering the achievment that my child has endured. I would recommend this school to any parent looking for a great school.

Posted January 21, 2011

The teachers & staff at Burke really do care & they show it. My daughter is in an andvanced 3rd grade class and doing very well. Along the regular course work, they are given work that is slightly above average for this grade which keeps them challenged. The school could improve on extra curricular activities as their is no band, sports, clubs at this school. There is a wonderful program called Odessy of the Minds that I would love to see implemented at Burke. Overall, I think this is a great school for any child to get a good education.

Posted October 19, 2008

My child has been going to burke since kindergarden i love the way the gaddy's run there school and the academics i would recemend this school to other parents

Posted September 17, 2008

Burke Basic School is such a wonderful school. My son is in 2nd grade and was recently put into in GIFTED class. The teachers are caring and the principle and staff know all the kids by name. They really go back to teachingkids the fundamentals of learning, and my children excel more in 1 year then they have in any other public school. They even bus out all the way to East Mesa.

Posted July 6, 2008

Burke Basic School is as concerned with all students equally, The Character of staff & students is awesome. It is a very patriotic school. All students are winners! And loved. I wish I had had the opportunity as a student when I was growing up to have a teacher as dedicated and compassioate as Burke's. The Office staff does a tremendous job. Transportation is a hard Job but handled well by Mr. Dave Craig. Burke is by far the best school.

Posted April 14, 2008

Its ok but me as a student dont really love the school.It kind of looks not so colorful from the outside it needs a makeover.And changing the fact of the uniform thing.I think the outside should need some grassy areas outside because its all concreak & sand.But aside of all that Burke Basic School is great!

Posted March 26, 2008

My son has been going here since kindergarten and this is his final year at Burke. All of his teachers were caring and thoughtful. They kept me informed of the things he needed to do to achieve. I am sp glad that Burke Basic School has been there for my son and I know he is more than ready to go to middle school. Thank you Mr. Gaddie and Mr. Winsor for making the school a safe and beneficial place for my son.

Posted March 13, 2008

The school is just excellent. The curriculum is challenging and you dont have to worry about your child being complacent.

Posted February 21, 2008

My son just started kindergarten this year 07-08, I was originally going to have him attend a public school. When I went to enroll him at the public school I was told that he would need to attend pre-k because of his age ( has to be 5 by Sept. 1st). I checked out Burke Basic School because I seen their age requirements were different ( has to be 5 by Dec.31), and I knew my son was ready for kindergarten, so I had him tested to see where he was at and they agreed with me that he was ready for school. I went ahead and enrolled my son at Burke Basic School, and his dad and I are very thankful that we made that decession. My son enjoys school and has learned more then I had expected him to learn for just being in kindergarten.

Posted February 14, 2008

I just wanted to write something about my son's kindergarten teacher and school. Miss Mahaffey is the perfect teacher for [our son]! She has been a blessing in our lives. Thank you for having her as a teacher at Burke. I also wanted to write about the school in general. It is such a positive, uplifting place. My children are learning more than they ever did at the district school. I appreciate the support the school gives in teaching character values and patriotism. This is the best school I could ever imagine.

Posted May 22, 2007

Burke is a school who cares, not only about academics but emotional growth as well. Three of my children have attended this school. My daughter is now out of Special Ed because of the efforts of all the staff at Burke. My son went from an angry, non-achieving, acting out student to one who had confidence in himself. Mrs. Lesperance is a teacher above all others - she doesn't give up on her students. My youngest son has just been diagnosed with autism. Burke worked with him for a year in which he made little progress. It takes a lot for a school to suggest that they might not be the best placement for your child. Most won't but Burke did because they care.

Posted May 8, 2007

My daughters have attended Burke for three years. I was pleased with the school until this year. The principal was replaced and the whole atmosphere changed. He acts like he is concerned about your problems, but then avoids solving them. I feel that the learning environment has been turned into a competition between students that does not allow the struggling students to ever achieve. I will not be bringing my children back to this school next year.

Posted April 25, 2007

I'm not really impressed by this school. My son has attended the 06-07 school year. I haven't had many good experiences with Burke Basic. I find it to be very challenging to get any straight answers from all the staff. I can say however my son has learned a lot in only a years time.

Posted April 10, 2006

My children have attended Burke Basic School since the school opened in the fall of '99. My oldest son's teacher was the finest teachers he has ever had. She encouraged him to work beyond what he thought he could do. I am thankful for Burke because he is now a junior at his high school and is involved with both National Honor Society and Future Business Leaders of America. Because his teacher showed him the things he could do to achieve, his test scores are high enough to get him into the college of his choice. All because one Burke teacher inspired him to do his very best. Thank you Burke.

Posted February 26, 2006

This school is a great school. The principal knows most of the students by name and the teacher are really great and hard workers. My daugther really enjoys been there as well as my niece and nephew. All the students wear uniforms, so not to diefentiate between them or make one feel less than the other. Which I think is great becuase not all parents can afford to buy good label or new cloths often. They are strict and the children are really respectful not like in most public schools that I have been on.

Posted February 21, 2006

Burke has been wonderful for my daughter. We started there when they opened in 1999. We only had one bad experience with a teacher. She had come from another state and had come from the public school atmosphere & wasn't use to the ways of charter schools. The principal let her go in the end, which was best. When my daughter started 1st grade there she tested @ pre-k level & @ the end of the school year she was almost @ 2nd grade in 1 years time.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian 1% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 83%N/A46%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

131 E. Southern Ave.