Cambridge Academy East

Charter | K-6 | 273 students

Small classroom sizes and highly qualified Teachers

Living in Mesa

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $156,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $780.

Sweep tile

School Official Point of View

Posted April 12, 2011

The vision of Cambridge Academy East is an excelling, achievement-oriented environment where children in grades K-8 learn, master, and eventually apply foundational skills in a sequence that logically builds from the most basic elementary content to increasingly higher order conceptual thinking. We are a school committed to the family, embracing the notion that the school is an extension of the home, and therefore we must work together to achieve success. It is our belief that all children have the ability to achieve greatness and become the person they dream of being. At Cambridge Academy East, we provide a rigorous and Arizona State Standards aligned curriculum, disciplined environment where our students are academically and socially prepared to excel in demanding college preparatory schools.

Posted October 28, 2011

My daughter was enrolled at the Queen Creek location for the first half of kindergarten. I moved near the East location mid-year and it was imperative to me that she continued her education at Cambridge. I can t give the teachers at both locations enough praise. Unfortunately, we were told about of the way through the school year, that due to a clerical error, my daughter was not old enough to be attending, and we were given the choice of immediately paying for full tuition, or removing her from classes. The administration had absolutely no concern for my daughters educational career, gave no alternatives, and no suggestions as to what my options would be in order to keep my daughter in school. The administration had absolutely no sympathy to the fact that the error was theirs. I was vocal about the fact that my daughter was several months younger that usual for starting kindergarten, and that I wanted her to be tested for admission to see if she was ready. She passed the admission tests with flying colors and was socially and academically very successful.The teachers were amazing, but the administration has absolutely zero compassion or accountability. Something to consider.

Posted August 18, 2011

I just got home from Curriculum Night at the Queen Creek campus. What an AMAZING SCHOOL!!! I cannot tell you how much I love my children's teachers! Mrs. Meeusen, the Science teacher, is truly one of a kind. I love her and so do my children. Mrs. Needer is another teacher that is one of the very best! The principal, Mrs. Kaylee, is always doing things for the children. Everytime I walk into the building she is busy making the school perfect for the parents and children. Have you ever seen a principal putting up decorations and getting the children excited about school? She always takes time to say hello to all the children. Whenever I drop in or drive by, it seems as if they are always there working (I have seen cars at the school on Saturday and Sundays). Mrs. Kaylee could not have picked a better staff right down to the receptionist! I have become one of Cambridge Academy's biggest fan!! Thank you for putting education back into my childrens lives. I will always be greatful!! Thank you Principal Kaylee!!!

Posted August 8, 2011

I am very happy with Cambridge Academy. My son has been there for 3 years and we could not be happier. The education is top of the line with smaller classrooms where each student can really learn at their own pace. It is a smaller school so there are activities that the school doesn t offer, but I think for the size that Cambridge is there is a good selection of extracurricular activities. We tried out another school that was larger and as it turns out it is more important to my family to go to a school where our children can be challenged in academics, not computer club or the option for bus transportation. We returned to the school and cannot be happier. I think the communication is wonderful at the school. What I love about this school is that you really get to know your teacher and know where your kid is every day. You won t see a review where a parent is concerned about the quality of education for this school. It is simply one of the best schools in the East Valley. My son is excited to go to school every day and has a great sense of school spirit, if this is a school you are interested in call and check it out, you will be impressed by the curriculum.

Posted May 25, 2011

As a teacher at this school, I feel the need to address the parent posting on 5/24 because it is completely untrue. There is one leak on the field and it's not sewage, it's a sprinkler head that the kids keep breaking. The fundraisers are done by PTO and they have benefited the classrooms with Smartboards and your participation isn't required. The lunches have to be pre-ordered because they are purchased from another company and that's the companies policy. Before you sat to talk with the principal, did you make an appointment ahead of time or did you just come in and expect to be seen regardless of her prior commitments? Lastly, all staff at Cambridge embrace, nurture and encourage ALL students regardless of when they began. Please know what you're talking about before you post because it is hurtful and untrue.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 24, 2011

Question for the last posting parent? The one who says the all the negative reviews are dead on. What campus does your child/children attend? My concern is that there are 2 campuses and only 1 principal from what I've been able to gather. My child has attended QC for last 2 years. I'm pleased with them and my child will be returning, but I would be lying if I didn't have concerns. I believe tha they they have the best interest of the children at heart, but maybe have bitten off more than they can chew. My concern is that my child will be lost in the shuffle of that "school culture" changes. My child has attended for 2 years and I know the administration at our location, but I don't know if the two campuses share principals or have different? I really think the 2 campuses need to be seperated both on here and with admininstration.

Posted May 24, 2011

My child attends Cambridge East. We have attended this school for the past year. The curriculum is great with no complaints on the education my child has received here. Now on to everything else. If you are a parent looking to place your child here let it be known the ALL the BAD reviews on here are dead on. The playing field has 2 sewage leaks coming up on to the field where the kids play. Has not been fixed since we started there. If you have issues or questions what is being said they do not respond and you will always be the bad guy. They will take this out on your child they will never give them the benefit of doubt. The communication does not exist. If you need a response none will be given. You will sit for 30+ min & never talk to the princapal.Every thing is last min. You must pay for lunches in advance which is the day before they r due. They expect you to participate in every fundraiser, their are 4 a month every month and going on at the same time. If your child is new to the school and did not start in kindergarten then your child WILL be singled out amongst the staff and students with no chance to defend them self s. This School is a NIGHTMARE. We will not return.

Posted April 26, 2011

We are almost through our first year at Cambridge (East) and we couldn't be happier! What a wonderful first school experience for our child and for us as parents. The progress our child has made in the last year are incredible & we 100% credit his teacher and the entire administration for working WITH us as a family!!!

Posted April 19, 2011

We have been at Cambridge for five years and we can't say enough about the staff and teachers. My son has been challenged, nurtured and excelled academically. The school is going through transitions as they improve curriculum to meet the new state standards. Transitions can be difficult, but they are a part of growing. Growing is exactly what Cambridge is doing. The parents I have known over the years are committed to partnering with the school and are keeping their eyes on the goals for the next several years. I encourage parents to learn more about the new curriculum. Cambridge is making huge investments in both time and financial resources to give students the best education. Kudos to Cambridge!

Posted March 26, 2011

For the past three years my child has attended Cambridge Academy East. The last two years the school has gone down hill. There has been a great deal of teacher turn over. The principal is never there nor is she ever available to speak with. The girls in the office are rude and unprofessional. Some of the teachers are unapproachable. The overall feeling I get from that campus is that we should be greatful we are able to attend. There are many great schools in Mesa and I will be looking into another school for my children.

Posted March 12, 2011

LOVE the QC location!!!! While every new school has "growing pains" this school has been proactive in solving issues of concern. My child loves the school, teachers and friends she has made. I can't comment on the school being dirty, but I hope the bathrooms aren't as gross as said. Maybe I'll have to pop in and check them out. My number one priority is to make sure my child is getting the kind of education that every child deserves, I have no doubts here! Sure, the parking lot is a nightmare to get in and out of if you are going into the school near pick up or drop off times, but overall, it's a GREAT SCHOOL!

Posted March 10, 2011

It's a nice school, but have seen many changes over the last couple school years. I will agree with the last person , lots of teacher turnover why? ? I'm thinking the leadership is going down hill. Noticeably since they have opened another campus in Queen Creek. When i visited the open house in QC, I noticed that my daughters old teacher was the principal. With this being said now both schools have the owners daughters as the principles?

Posted March 10, 2011

The QC campus is Great! little dirty at times so maybe think about getting a new company to clean? We really love having a new school in walking distance from our house. Also in reading some of the other post we haven't realized its a family charter school. We LOVE It so far....

Posted March 8, 2011

WOW! I have been a proud Cambridge parent for the last 5 years. My oldest is now in jr high and is in the advanced classes. I think this school has great teachers and great administrators! Contrary to the last post, this school has made positive changes over the last several years. The biggest changes are to come and I couldn't be more excited! I think the addition of middle school at both campuses solves a lot of our worries about what next. Thank you administration for listening and adding 7th and 8th! As for the rubber from the playground... it's safe and I'm glad there aren't wood chips anymore! I tell everyone I know about what an amazing school Cambridge is. Thank you for doing such a great job educating our kids!

Posted March 4, 2011

We have attended Cambridge Academy for 7 years and during the last 2 yrs+ we really have watched it deteriorate. When we first came-we were so impressed with the commitment shown both by staff and the administration. We are very involved parents and were so happy we finally found such a great school. The last yr. and a helf it has lost MANY families due to the lack of leadership at the school. Also theyve had tremendous teacher turnover, no doubt due to lack of leadership and dedication to the students.**As a parent coming to this site for opinions of truePARENTS- I find it very disturbing & obvious that many of the reviews here are left by faculty and family of the school itself,trying to persuade parents. Lets hope they are able to make the necessary changes for the future. To the leadership of the school- my wish is for you to get back to what Cambridge originally was-a positive, nurturing community. Nevertheless- We are leaving also.

Posted February 17, 2011

My children attend Cambridge Academy East. The teachers are wonderful and go above and beyond to make sure the students are understanding the information given. I also think the small class size helps children get a better education. Also, with smaller classes, children who have behavior issuses will stand out more, this could be an issue for some kids/parents. Overall, we love the campus. That being said, the campus IS dirty with rubber from the playground everywhere. Teachers are expected to clean their own classrooms (I think the school should have a service at least once a week) including vaccuuming. Finally, the administration is seriously lacking in organization, response and overall communication. I really believe the good outweighs the bad, but you have to be an active and involved parent!

Posted January 31, 2011

My daughter has been enrolled at Cambridge Academy since Kindergarten and has excelled in every school endorsed endeavor since her first day. She has skipped a grade and is performing in the top tier of her current class. Having had an older child in a different school, in a different state, I have found that parents of under-achievers will always blame the school instead of taking part in their children's education and working with the child at home. Cambridge Academy is truly dedicated to the student and a model for successful educational AND family development. It's apparent to me that the parent who criticizes and makes unfounded accusations against the family that runs this school is envious of the success they are enjoying due to their hard work and dedication...AND I AM A PROUD CAMBRIDGE PARENT ...NOT PART OF THE FAMILY!!!!

Posted January 31, 2011

I am a parent @ Cambridge Academey and I have never seen the school look dirty. In fact the teachers do a wonderful job with keeping everything clean and tudy. I encourage anyone to come by and take a look for thmeselves. I also have NEVER heard or had any complaints about students being able to use the bathrooms. The principal and assistant principal are amazing and infact they are always making sure things look their BEST! I do not know who is saying these terrible thigs about this school but I encourage ANYONE to come by and take a look for themselves.

Posted January 31, 2011

I love Cambridge Academy, Queen Creek! I feel this school is the best opportunity for my children to get the most of their education. Their teachers are simply the best. They are enthusiastic and loving. After attending the Jr. High meeting, I can't wait for my kids to get there to experience all the school has to offer. The dedication of this staff and their leaders is tenfold what you'll get anywhere else. Thank you Cambridge; you are true educators.

Posted January 22, 2011

Queen Creek Campus - My child is doing wonderful at this school, the teachers are amazing. My complaint is that the school is absolutely disgusting. It is sad that this building is brand new to the school and the hallways are full of garbage, the bathrooms are disgusting. The bathrooms look like they have been cleaned once a month. Kids are sick all the time because of the germs. Education is important, but so is my child's health. The school is always clean on days of events, but I dare you to randomly drop by during the day or even after school in the middle of the week.

Posted December 7, 2010

I think that there must be a difference between the Mesa campus and the Queen Creek campus because our experience wasn t great. Parents didn't get involved in the school at QC and the teachers didn't want to help the PTO because they felt they already spent too much time helping students and that is a shame since it raised money for their projects, field trips, and equipment. Parents sacrifice a lot to send their children to a school that is smaller and boasts their focus on the individual yet children get bladder infections because they aren't allowed to go to the bathroom. The days are shorter than regular school, they don't have a library, no sports programs, and they don't have a cafeteria unless you pre-buy meals. The only person with a food handlers card is the one food handler and no one has a managers food card. They have no cleaners for the building so it is absolutely disgusting unless they clean it for an event and the teachers have to clean their own rooms. International night spends months on countries with little significance and is a waste of time and money! Not worth the sacrifice to attend this school.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian 6% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science

Language learning

• Foreign languages
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Girls on the run

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Amy Monarrez, Principal
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (480) 325-2365

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Core knowledge

• Foreign languages
  • Science
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Sunshine Acres

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom