Liberty Arts Academy

Charter | PK-8 | 300 students

We are best known for being a small school with a big heart.

Living in Mesa

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $164,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted April 2, 2014

I absolutely love Liberty arts Academy. The teachers and staff are loving caring and on top of things. I have an 8th grader with Autism. Teachers and staff have been nothing but patient, understanding and loving to him. I also have a 6 grader who is in honor roll. I strongly recommend this school.

Posted January 28, 2014

My daughter loves this school and I think it offers a wonderful education for all grade levels and stays with the current times in technology!

Posted December 30, 2013

We love LAA! My children are doing very well, they have recieved honor roll for 1st & 2nd quarters. Their teachers are excellent. My children have been involved with the after school sports & dance clubs, as well as yearbook. We like the small size of the school. My children are known my name by most staff members. It's a family. I look forward to watching them progress and grow at LAA.

Posted October 27, 2013

Love LAA, My daughter is in her first year there (5th grade). She received both straight "A's" and perfect attendance. The curriculum is challenging and academics are the foundation. My only regret is I didn't make this decision earlier.

Posted September 14, 2013

This school is an amazing place! Although it has gone through changes, it remains to be a strong academic program, all while supporting the whole child. The leadership at LAA believes in putting the students first. Parents are respected and valued. They offer after school sports, dance and clubs. During school their students have PE and music, in addition to art integrated into their mainstream classroom. It is always easy to talk to the principal if I have a question. LAA is like being part if a big family! We love our children's school!

Posted September 9, 2013

LAA is full of caring individuals who do their best to promote a positive and friendly learning environment. LAA has gone through a few changes over the past year, and is striving to put together the best staff possible. Many improvements have been made since the change in leadership including 3 new smart boards, bus improvements, and the promotion of a more kind/caring atmosphere. I agree, some programs were cut from the school such as sports and art, but others were put in their place (After school sports club, dance, PE, etc). Certain things need to be built from the ground up, which is what is happening with the extra cirricular activities. I would expect to see organized sports back within a year or two. Just before my son exits the school. We love LAA!

Posted September 8, 2013

This used to be an amazing school. It is no longer. They no longer care about supporting a well rounded child. Cuts to sports, art, and classroom supplies make it feel like a business. I am nickle and dimed at every turn. Test scores are the most important thing, a love for learning falls far below on the list. The amazing teachers we loved left when the school began to change. We tried to see how it would be, but the results are in. We have left laa and it was not an easy choice to take my kids away from their friends. But I cannot allow them to continue to go to this school which now I would describe as cold and in caring.

Posted August 9, 2013

My child has attended LAA for 3 years and her dad and I are extremely happy with her progress and delighted with her teachers so far. The curriculum not only meets but exceeds the Arizona State standards according to her latest scores. My daughter's Junior Scholars teacher was happy with her science and math skills this summer which made us very proud. My daughter's Girl Scout troop leader was proud of her behavior and participation as well. I believe children who are surrounded by a positive and nurturing environment both at home and at school thrive successfully at everything they do. Interestingly, negativity exudes negativity. Thank goodness those individuals that have made very negative comments have professed to leave immediately. Liberty Arts Academy has always had an upbeat and positive approach towards education and constantly supports building leaders. My only wish is for corporate sponsors within the community to step up and donate for playground equipment. Keep up the good work LAA. PS: Art classes should never be the driving force for any grade level school. IMO

Posted August 8, 2013

This is my children's 3rd day at this school and it will be their last. My children are coming from a great public school however I liked the idea of a smaller more focused school environment. I toured this school during the summer hours and the new leader is absolutely wonderful! That is the only positive thing I can say about liberty arts. My kids say that the teachers yell constantly and don't seem to have a plan for the day. I am able to walk in and out of the building freely which makes me question the safety of the kiddos. My husband and I and our kids feel like they're in a daycare environment. Very disappointing...

Posted August 8, 2013

This is supposed to be a school that is focused on arts... Wish someone would have told me when we enrolled that they don't even have an art class offered to the students as a special. The "music/drama/performing arts room" is no bigger than a glorified closet. The "library" is the same way. The bus schedule is a joke. School is supposed to be dismissed at 3:10, bus was supposed to be at our stop around 4pm, and finally arrived at 5:15! One child had an accident on the bus, children were becoming anxious and worried and my daughter said the bus driver was "trying to stay awake". Most all staff as well as parents are dressed very unprofessional and look lazy. Multipurpose room is plain, boring and the entire school appearance lacks creativity and personality. My children (who are normally very positive about school) have had almost nothing but negative things to say... The only positive feedback my children have said is that the principal is very nice. It is her first year as a leader at this school and hopefully she can make some much needed changes!

Posted April 23, 2013

I feel very pround to be a part of a staff who helps encourage students to be the best they can be. COMPASSION and care are our #1 priority. As a staff we instill this with service learning projects, community contests and a strong arts program.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 22, 2013

I am not sure what this parent is talking about. My child has attended this school for several years. In every aspect, he is nurtured both academically and emotionally. I do not have to make an appointment to visit with the principal of the school. The front office is always ready to solve a question that I have. My child is an honor roll student who is involved with the sports and drama programs. I consider this school a safe environment that I want for my child . It is his home away from home.

Posted April 22, 2013

I have 3 children with special needs that attend Liberty Arts. I am overwhelmed with the compassion and professionalism shown to my children by the entire staff. The teachers are very loving, dedicated and qualified. The occupational therapist and physical therapist provide serices weekly. I am kept informed of my children's progress. School leadership has an open door policy. My child's third grade teacher tutors her free of charge one day after school each week. She is now on the honor roll and her self confidence is soaring. I am very grateful I moved my children from our neighborhood school to Liberty. Liberty is an exceptional school interested in educating all children.

Posted April 11, 2013

I have to agree completely with the Jan 1 2013 post. We had a very similar horrible experience and also pulled our children out and moved them to another school. As the other parent experienced once we moved our children to a new school they began to thrive academically and are actually happy at school instead of being constantly punished & confused with the chaos at this school. Liberty Arts was unprofessional, unorganized, and has very apparent administration problems. It's unfortunate our children even had to experience the chaos of this organization - it's poor facilities like this that ruin the educational experience for kids and cause more problems for them down the road.

Posted March 26, 2013

Liberty Arts Academy does NOT hire uncertified teachers. The comment below is incorrect. This is an excellent school.

Posted January 1, 2013

My son was there for a year and a half. Two certified teachers left (K and 1st grade) and they were replaced with uncertified teachers. One of which told my son at 5 years old that if he didn't stop walking around the classroom he was going to be kicked out of school and not allowed to return. She admitted to me what she said when I asked. She would also undermind my authority and tell me that when my son was acting up to not punish him because he was just being a kid. The 1st grade teachers were aweful. They had no control over their classroom. More often then not at least half the kids in the classroom were in trouble every day. My son was CONSTANTLY in trouble. I pulled him out half way through the school year and we went to a Gilbert school. Within one month he was at the top of his class. So obviously it was the teacher and not my child.

Posted May 22, 2012

Liberty Arts Academy is amazing!! My daughter has been there for 2 years now and absolutely loves it. Both the teachers and staff are all wonderful and have never had a complaint come up. I love all of the activities they do; talent shows, book fairs, musical programs, ect. This school has really helped my daughter in many other areas that a traditional public school would not have provided. The principal is wonderful and knows both students and parents by name...she often greets you at the door during drop off and pickup. Can't say enough good things about this school!!

Posted March 19, 2012

My name is cheyenne and I have been a Liberty Arts Academy student for 8 years. I started here while I was in kindergarden. We have some of the best teachers ever and they really care about your child's needs. This is a great school to make friends and get a good education. The teachers are supporting and very easy to communicate with. The older kids usually talk to the teachers about things that we did over the weekend or other breaks. This is a great school and I will be extremely sad when I have to leave! I have met some of my best friends here that I never want to leave.

Posted February 2, 2012

I love this school! My oldest has been in a few different public and charter schools and now she is to stay put. my other kids started there this year and I am very happy with the kindergarten staff! they love it and I like the art and music/drama classes. they are built into the curriculum - its not like the public system where they have a parent come into "teach" art once a month. the acedemic curriculum is amazing and I am happy that my daughter is not being "dumbed down". I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted October 28, 2011

Liberty Arts Academy in three words: caring, accountable, dedicated. The teachers and staff are involved and energetic. My daughter is exited to go every day, and I like the homework we do together as well as seeing what she has completed in class. The teachers and staff communicate well and are very accessible.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 52%N/A47%
Female 50%N/A49%
Male 50%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Vietnamese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
  • Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:10 am
School end time
  • 3:10 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Julia Angel
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Music
  • Performing arts
  • Service learning
  • Visual arts
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
Extra learning resources offered
  • Acceleration
  • Counseling
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
  • Audiovisual aids
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom