Mesa, AZ
Students enrolled: 3,000

Posted September 07, 2014
Many of my friends go to Dobson. Whenever I go to the football games I show my i.d. for the discount and when they see i'm from a different school I immediately got an attitude and was treated poorly as were my friends that go to Dobson. The staff is unbelievably rude. Even the security guards! The school does not seem very clean either, walking to the drinking fountain by the cafeteria I walked past more than 4 roaches and there was a huge spider by the drinking fountain. It was disgusting! I went to go home with my friend one day and I waited 3 MINUTES for their bell to ring and was talking to an old friend once it rang and about to leave, then the security guard knew I wasn't a student and threatened to have me arrested for being on campus, and got in my face and threatened me again! So rude.

Dobson High School 3

Posted May 11, 2014
My daughter is an A student in her second year, but the only real problems have been her math teachers. They both have been very disorganized. They lose her homework all the time. My daughter has to keep track of her homework when turned in because many times it isn't accounted for. The math teachers also don't teach. Both of the ones we have had it is time for them to call it quits for teaching. Some of my daughters friends have had the same problem.

Posted April 15, 2014
This is my son's second year at Dobson and he has always been an A-B student. He has become very depressed at this school and his grades are slipping. I find that the teachers there are super overloaded and there are tons of discipline issues as well. The teachers are having a hard time keeping up with their loads and there seems to be lack of support from the top. The attendance staff is among the rudest I have ever dealt with which is absolutely unacceptable. I will say his counselor this year is great and helpful. Last year I would leave messages for both the counselor and vice principal and they literally would never call back. My son has never had a discipline problem, my calls were about classes and scholastic goals etc. The kind of calls parents should make. Something needs to happen quickly here as I believe both students and teachers are suffering which is damaging our children's learning. My son is in a class where some of the students literally harass the teacher and curse and speak loudly of drug use and abuse in front of the class. This also went on last year as well and it has not been addressed. This failure I believe is being ignored for need of funding. ;-(

Posted April 14, 2014
Dobson High School has developed a new system of keeping students in the classroom rather than suspending them. As a result, many teachers have to deal with students who are disrespectful towards them and/or other students. There are students who disrupt the learning environment for students who actually want to learn; and they do so without any real consequence. Administrators do not have teacher's back in regards to these students who create a non-learning environment in the class. Administrators will often "blame teachers" for student misbehavior, even if a teacher has used every classroom management technique possible. Avoidance is in the air, and students who break the rules, are aware of this. It is a statistical fact that "teacher satisfaction is at its all time low." Perhaps teachers are tired of spending all their time on classroom management, rather than actually teaching. Having a laxed attitude about discipline is setting the school up for a potential disaster(s). There is a popular cliche, "one bad apple ruins the bunch." Dobson High School prides themselves on "keeping the bad apples in the classrooms," ruining the learning for all.

Dobson High School 5

Posted March 06, 2014
Dobson is the best school there is ! DHS does not only wear blue we were dobson blue t he home color teachers are great everyone should go here ! There girls soccer program is amazing and so is every other sport gooooo mustangs

Dobson High School 5

Posted March 04, 2014
Dobson is a great highschool to go to,everyone is friendly ,teachers are good at helping ,I used to go to dobson a year ago & will be soon transfering back,one of the best schools in arizona that ive been too. Staff is ok .

Posted February 28, 2014
After seeing the recent reviews, I'm glad to see it's not just my family having issues with Dobson. My daughter has always been a B-C student but this year (9th grade) her grades have slipped and she has come home frustrated saying the teacher don't teach the subject. I called several teachers and only received 1 call back and she was very rude on the phone because I was taking up her time. I tried calling the counselor several times, left messages, no call back. I called her asst principle and left several messages, no call back. Very frustrating.. I'll look for other options next year...

Posted February 27, 2014
Dobson is horrible. This was my son's first year and the teachers are very rude and the principals seem to find ways to suspend or send home your kids. My son was sent home because he was 'not working' when he was sick at school. Crazy! We transferred to Chandler High and have had NO issues - I would recommend going there on open enrollment instead.. Dobson has serious issues and the 'new' principal doesn't seem to have a backbone to stop it.

Posted July 29, 2013
I have been attending Dobson since my freshman year, I am a senior now. The reason I only get Dobson two stars is because most of their staff is rude, irresponsible, and immature. More than a few of my teachers would talk about being friends with students on social networking sites. There were many occasions where favoritism was shown. The front office staff is not only rude to me and other students, but to parents also. One of my former teachers was under investigation for inappropriate behavior towards a peer of mine. The reason I did give two stars is because Dobson has a great band, choir, and orchestra. I am on the Dobson yearbook committee and I personally loved the experience of being able to be a part of it. I met new people through yearbook, I went to plenty of athletic events, I learned more than most people at Dobson did.

Posted April 07, 2013
Not a very good school. Teachers are very disorganized and the office staff seem to dig for reasons to send kids home and suspend them. I moved my kids to a charter school where they are now very successful.

Dobson High School
1501 W Guadalupe, Mesa, AZ  85202
Last modified Dobson High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dobson High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 73 reviews. Top