Patterson Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 736 students

Posted December 31, 2013

Patterson Elementary School is an exceptional school because they care about the whole student and not just test scores. I have had three children who have gone through the K-6 grades and all have left loving learning. They love and miss Patterson.

Posted August 10, 2012

My son attends first grade at patterson, and as a special needs kid, this school has been great in working as a team with me to figure out what needs to be accomodated with my son! I could not have done it without this school! From the principal all the way down to the aides....it's been a great experience!

Posted October 23, 2011

I have had 3 of my children attend Patterson, one of which went from K-6. I love this school! The staff and teachers were always respectful to me and my children. My kids have always loved the principal and would run up to give her a hug. Out of all the kids there, she always remembered their names. I think they give just the right amount of homework. Between my 3 children, they have had 10 different teachers. There has been only one whose teaching style I didn't like. As the PARENT, I found ways to teach my child differently to help her along.

Posted March 25, 2011

I currently have 2 kids attending Patterson and 2 more who are future Coyotes. I absolutely love this school and do not feel like they give too much homework at all. My kids are generally done in less than 30 minutes unless they dilly dally, do it wrong and have to re-do it. Then it can take hours but that is not the schools fault whatsoever. I love all the teachers who have taught my kids so far (with the exception of one but I cannot hold the school accountable for one bad seed) and have volunteered numerous times w/in the classroom or events. I highly recommend this school to anyone thinking about sending their kids here. Seems to me that the parents who whine about too much homework probably rub off on their kids. A little hard work never hurt anybody. When you are in the corporate world you cannot go to your boss and whine about too much work. That's why so many have such a poor work ethic.

Posted March 8, 2011

My daughter went to Patterson from K-3, while my son went to this and two other schools; they are both currently attending another school in a different school district. My daughter is very academic; my son (3 years younger) has issues with his speech and has been in the school system for 1 year less than his sister. I have worked in the school system as a volunteer for many years, my family has made their career as the same. IMHO - I feel that Patterson is lacking in their curriculum from reading to math to extra curricular activities. Homework is heavy. The teachers complain of the burden to the number of children they contain in a class. The school has issues with how they spend their funding dollars such as printer paper drives. I have had issues with the administration and how they decide to deal with situations. Given my experience, I would highly recommend that if the resource is present, to find your child's education and love for learning elsewhere.

Posted January 21, 2009

I would agree with the other person who mentions too much homework at Patterson, although that can be a benefit in the long run, I would love to see the teachers that I have experienced be more creative in their teaching to appeal to all learning styles. My child has so much more homework then his friends from other schools. I always try to look for the positive so I hope it will only benefit my child and not lessen their excitement to learn. The principal is great! Mr C is very caring about the students so I feel I can go to him if I get no where with the teacher as long as we always have solutions to the problem. It takes a villiage to raise our children.

Posted October 1, 2008

I think that the kids have way too much homework. My daughter is in 2nd grade now and the homework is just too much. I wish they would tone it down a bit

Posted September 17, 2008

Our family loves Patterson! This is our 6th year having kids at Patterson. I have never had any problem with the teachers or staff. My kids have always done great in school and they love it too.

Posted August 20, 2008

We just moved here a little over year ago. My daughter started the first grade here and is currently in second grade. I thought that new principle was engaging and involved with both the students and parents. I felt that her first grade teacher, Mrs. Nelson was tough but fair. So far my experience here at Patterson is very good.

Posted May 28, 2008

The new principal is very condiscending to students and talks that to teachers over intercom. Not very welcome to suggestions and not very open to speak with parents. Very disappointed. My daughter has gone to school here since kindergarten, this is the first year there has been a problem.

Posted August 27, 2007

I used to go to this school and it was terrible. The only teacher that has ever taught me something there is Mrs. Gonzalez, who was absolutely wonderful. 2 thums up to her! I heard that Mrs. Pott retired, which is sad, she was a wonderful principal. My mom took me to a different school, now I learn a lot! I do not like this school, there are also lots of troublemakers. I give this school a thumbs down.

Posted August 14, 2007

Great School, Great Teachers Music is offered k-6 Art 4-6. I wish the City of Mesa would increase more funding for more art programs and more instructional assistants to work with all of the students. I love walking into Patterson and seeing all of the small groups in the halls being lead by aides and parent volunteers This time is really important to my daughter. Lots of Neat Changes with new principle

Posted July 8, 2007

My children have attended this school since it opened. I think the school is wonderful as are the teachers and staff. My children have excelled both academically and socially. I would like to see music and art available for the younger students, and some smaller class sizes. Otherwise, I give Patterson an A+,

Posted April 21, 2007

Teacher quality is moderate, overcrowded classes. They are so disorganized it's scary at times. I don't feel that the children are being challenged enough, or given enough time or personal attention. I will not re-enroll next year.

Posted July 25, 2006

My daughter has been attending Patterson in kindergarten since the 05-06 school year began. She did not make hardly any progress throughout the whole year, and her teacher felt she needed to be retained and repeat kindergarten. I had her evaluated by a child development specialist and it turns out she has ADD. I am now in the process of trying to get her into a full-day kindergarten there which will hopelfully be the extra help she needs. Her teacher knew of her struggle with attention and did not even suggest that my child could be put into a full-day class at all. Other than that I have been very pleased with the school as a whole, and I intend to keep my child there unless they do not put her in the full-day class that she needs.

Posted May 8, 2006

This school is amazing. Every month there is an awards ceremony where almost 100 kids are nominated for Math, Attendance or Student of the month awards. Probably 200 parents show up and bring flowers and balloons to congratulate their kids. The field trips are fun, the teachers are involved with their students and send happy gram post cards. They have PE night, talent shows and even an art night this year. The PTO has raised tons of money with a great carnival and purchased a rock wall, playground covers, new equipment and more. They also plan all kinds of neat stuff for the teachers. My daughter has been there two years now and my son will start next year. We wouldn't consider leaving our neighborhood because we wouldn't want to change schools.

Posted April 3, 2006

My daughter is in 1st grade and we are thrilled with Patterson Elementary. Her Kindergarten and 1st Grade teachers have been top-notch and very focused on each individual's childs abilities and needs. We are grateful for the excellent quality of educators and administrators at Patterson and look forward to sending our younger two children to join their older sister on such a wonderful educational path!

Posted April 1, 2005

Patterson is Amazing! The building itself, being new and clean at all times, to the staff and kids! My daughter is in Kindergarten with Mrs. Morales who is a great gifted teacher! I recently attended my first Student of the month assembly and was amazed. The assembly was organized and fun at the same time. I am incredibly impressed and feel proud and lucky that in today's society a school like Patterson still exists!

Posted April 1, 2005

Patterson has been a wonderful learning environment for my son for three years. His teachers have all been highly qualified and motivating to him, I recommend this school for anyone who is searching for a good placement for their child.

Posted February 9, 2005

Quality acadmemic programs for K-4 students. Overcrowding is an issue in some of the upper grades (5th & 6th). Improvements have been made recently to the parking lots and crosswalk areas for the safety of the students.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 44%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (480) 472-9788

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now