Fremont Junior High School

Public | 7-8 | 900 students

Sweep tile

Posted November 15, 2013

There are several things both good and bad about this school. One of the best qualities I would say would be the excellent teachers. As a student in the 7th grade I love almost every one of my honors teachers (some exceptions) and I feel as if most of them are concerned about my future and want to see me do good with my education. Another fantastic quality are the wide range of unique courses. I'm taking Project Lead the Way personally as well as attending the STEAM program and it is cool to have so many technologically, career focused courses to take. One of the worse qualities would be the lack of organization and communication with afterschool clubs. It is presented as if there are dozens of clubs for you to join, but the most I've ever actually heard about is 2. Many kids also do the standard of "claiming" lunch tables, intimidating people, etc. Luckily I have a group of friends that I hang out with but if your kid is generally a loner or doesn't have many friends at the same school he/she might be singled out and will feel like an outsider. Also, constant cussing, sexual remarks, roughousing, etc. I'm used to it but if your kid is kind of "sheltered" just be warned of that.

Posted August 27, 2013

I attended this school in the 90's and my daughter is in 8th grade. The school may still look the same, but that's where the similarities end. I don't know if it's because Smith Jr High opened or if it's that they sent the 9th graders to Red Mountain, but this school is now amazing! I'm jealous that I did not receive the education my daughter is currently getting and I was in the AP classes! The programs available here are challenging, STEM and Project Lead the Way is opening so many doors for my child. UTILIZE the open-enrollment and get your kids here.

Posted January 13, 2013

I'm currently attending Fremont Junior High as an eighth grade student. It's ridiculous, to say the very least. Staff: The staff there is rude and VERY bad at doing their job. They are snide and quick with put-downs, which is the very thing the school goes against. And for the few who are actually nice, they don't know what they're doing! Counselors: I'd have to say, one of the worst traits about this school. My current counselor is very, very rushing and doesn't like to listen to problems (which is part of their job). She won't hesitate to address your issues later, even if they're an emergency. Teachers: Honestly, the only nice thing about this school. The teachers are very nice and helping... They're the only reason I'm giving an extra star. Organization: The organization is pitiful. The very first MONTH there half of the schedules weren't completed, and the bus schedules were given out four days before school started (along with route times, etc). After-School Activities: There are few... About 20 clubs are /supposedly/ there, and yet I only hear about three on the announcements. Summary: I won't hesitate to say Fremont is easily the worst school I've attended, period.

Posted July 1, 2011

I went to Fremont for my 7th grade year and I hated it. I felt that the girls at this school were clique-ish and mean. I felt that some of the teachers didn't give it there all to try and prepare us for the future and that education wasn't a priority with ANYONE. There was very little control and drugs/alcohol was a major issue. I didn't feel safe there by any means and transfered out at the first chance I got. I came home from school crying everyday and I hated it there. This was definattely the worst of my school years.

Posted May 2, 2011

This school like all schools has good and bad, but as a teacher I brought my children to this school and it has prepared them wel for high school and life. A coat of paint would be nice, but we teach that we should judge by the contents not the cover. If you want a school to challenge your child then this is one of the best in Mesa, if you want easy with no challenge then this is not for you. Those who bad mouth Fremont for its 1970s reputation have not taken a second look at the school as it has moved so far beyond that when it was an outlying school taking kids from a 200 square mile area who came from top class homes all the way to kids who lived in drainage ditches. Fremont rocks.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 24, 2010

well iem going to this school frist i thought it wasent cool but that eas from the outside. wheni got to meet the teashers i thought that it eas cool that iem going to be there.

Posted May 17, 2010

Fremont is an amazing school. Sure its old and run down, but the students are always inspired. The teachers are the best i have ever encountered. They help you in every possible way and the learning enviornment is comfortable. I have made so many amazing friends and have so many positve memories. As a proud student I love Fremont!!

Posted December 16, 2009

I love Fremont, it is challenging enough, and fun at the same time. One of the hardest classes though is 7th grade ELP History. But the teacher is the best ever had. People who complain how bad the students are, it doesnt effect you as long you dont hang out with them. I love fremont and if i had to go to another JR high. I would cry.

Posted December 1, 2009

I love attending Fremont!!! The teachers are helpful and easy to talk to and the school spirit is always present. I'm in student council and we have lots of fun things for the school and helpful, learning experiences.

Posted April 30, 2009

We absolutely love Fremont! Everything from top to bottom! The administration is wonderful if you take a minute and involve them. Most of the teachers are wonderful to work with and many even have doctorates. My daughter has excelerated in her classes (all ELP) been involved in student council, held offices in clubs, and is looking forward to sports next year. I recommend parents to be involved. If I have issues be proactive and be involved! You owe it to your student. Thank you Fremont!

Posted April 5, 2009

My child is passing all of her grades and doing amazing i love this school very much!!

Posted March 6, 2009

The upper administration refuses to work with parents reguarding their children. There is a communication break down outside of the classroom. My children speak highley of the teachers and I receive plenty of feedback from them, but I am very disappointed in the administration and parent involvement when it come to knowing what is going on with your child outside the classroom.

Posted February 3, 2009

I am a current student at Fremont Junior High. Overall, the school itself is great. The teachers are all there to help you reach your goals and make your 3 years at Fremont your best. Fights are not too often at Fremont. However, security is very good at catching it and the principle is nice & can be very strict. Ms. Christy, the principle, is very involved as well as Mr. Beckert. The teachers all encourage parents to ask any questions and be involves as it is very essential. The school is very old as it has been around for 40 years. It is a great Junior High with a talented group of teachers and staff.

Posted January 27, 2009

I have two children going to Fremont. They have only been in the Mesa School for about three month. They have been approach about drugs a few times. I thought was stranger in a jr. high. Other wises we have had no problems and the teacher need to start using the parent portal if they are going to go out of there way to give usernames and password.

Posted January 27, 2009

My child loves that school it gave him a great look on life and what he was capibuly of doing.

Posted September 18, 2008

My 2 children have been in Fremont and one is Senior and never had any problem with drugs, sexual activity or peer pressure. My daughter is senior and is Aplus student and excellent children. Sorry but if the child fallow the right crowd and goes with a mission to school, it is going to be great results. Mother

Posted July 14, 2008

The school looks like a dump because its old. Your students will be involved with creepy people ONLY if they choose to, there are DECENT students at Fremont too. It all depends on your child and who they want to be friends with. There are ELP and AA classes that are challenging. ALl you have to do is sign up for them. This is all coming from a student.

Posted June 16, 2008

Fremont was a let down for my kids. I agree with the reviews about classes not being challenging. This place is a dump, and it reflects in all areas.

Posted May 12, 2008

I so regretted sending my daughter here. This school is rough, and I was afraid for her. If you're going to send your child to this school, drive them each way (not the bus - way too out of control) and have them take the harder classes so that they actually do some work.

Posted April 11, 2008

In response to the parent commenting that sons/daughters of faculty are favored, I would disagree. I am the son of a teacher and if I even talk back in class my parent knows about it in two hours or less. I am expected to follow the rules more than anybody. For example, I kid who looked like me (both long.long red hair) was making out and my parent knew about it before I did. Fremont isn't a bad school. Yes, if you take general classes you aren't challenged. That's why they call them general classes. Fights are not out of hand. There are just as many here as at any other school. Yes the buildings are old, but it's been here since 1968. If you expect a 'new' school, then move. The teachers are great. Mr.Marcum, the band director, rocks. He is the Chuck Norris of band directing.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

520 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

520 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

517 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

460 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

460 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian 2% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 40%N/A46%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options