Pathfinder Academy

Charter | K-8 | 112 students

Small School Environment with Successful, Proven Curricula

Living in Mesa

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $156,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $780.

Posted August 12, 2014

I have to say, although the people on here seem to all think Pathfinder is wonderful, that was not our experience. We found it far too small for our son to grow socially. He is a very intelligent young man and does very well academically, but he did not flourish socially because this charter school is so small. He and my daughter have both been to other charter schools in the past and we found that the teaching methods at this one were neither unique nor exceptional although the teachers and principal are very nice.

Posted November 18, 2013

Moving my children to Pathfinder was one of the best decisions. I love the emphasis on the country. I love the emphasis on memorization and reading. With book reports and 30 spelling words a week, my children still get good grades with minimal home work despite haVing every Friday off. It is quite impressive and to top it off Pathfinder scored third in the state for AIMs testing. You cannot beat that kind of results and it resonates with my kids and their friends, which is One of the best byproducts of the school, are the great friends. Thank goodness Arizona allows us to choose a charter school versus public.

Posted November 4, 2013

I don't think I can say enough wonderful things about this school. This is our first year at Pathfinder and my children love it. They love going to school every day, and they love that it is only four days a week. I love that I spend Fridays doing things with my children that I think would be beneficial to them. I love the small classroom sizes which makes for more one on one with the teacher. I will definitely be back next year!

Posted October 31, 2013

This school is wonderful and fun place to learn.I am a graduate from pathfinder academy,the principle hand picks the teachers and is a great leader,the teachers there are wonderful teachers and know ho to have fun.But best of all they have the 3rd highest aims scores in the state! So if your planning to go to a new school try pathfinder!

Posted October 30, 2013

We chose this small non-traditional school after Mendoza didn't work out well for our son. He is very smart, but doesn't focus in school because it's not important to him. The Pathfinder staff holds him accountable (give up recess to work on homework not turned in), gives him incentives (shop at Mrs. Packham's school store with "bucks" earned for work completed, extra work at home, etc), moves his desk often (to where he'd least like to be and so the kids don't get so friendly that they don't work). Communication by text reminders for assignments due, flyers for the month ahead, quarterly parent meetings (or more often as requested). They play tag, flag football, and dodge-ball. There are contests where there are 1st-3d prizes (no award just for being there). Children are encouraged to work out their own conflicts, though they are few and far between. It seems that since there are no busses, no lunches provided, and no school on Fridays that all the parents that have kids there do it because the kids come first and it shows. I haven't heard of any bullying. There are some combined classrooms this year. It seems to provide an opportunity for mentoring, reinforcement, foreshadowing.

Posted October 30, 2013

This school has been incredible for my kids! I have four and we started attending Pathfinder 10 years ago. Susan Stradling is a brilliant story teller as she shares and teaches the children the concepts and lessons of the day. She hand selects the teachers that will teach with the same degree of passion and responsibility that she teaches with. The teachers at Pathfinder on more than one occasion have worked with each of my children on an individual basis to ensure that they don't fall behind, whether it was in math, reading or spelling, they have always taken the time to ensure each child was taken care of. One of my children no longer attends Pathfinder because he is now in high school. But, because of the impact Susan had on him, fostering in him a strong love for history, the constitution and this countries founders, he now desires to become a constitutional lawyer, or author books telling the rich stories of our founders! I am forever grateful I found this little diamond in the rough, Pathfinder.

Posted October 29, 2013

This is our 2nd year at Pathfinder. I have only wonderful things to say about this school. I love that it's a more personal setting and it's easy to get to know everyone who works with the kids throughout the day. It is about 15 minutes from where I live and well worth the drive (about 1 hr a day) to know that I am leaving my child(ren) in capable and trusted hands. My son has loved his first 2 years here and still looks forward to each day. I look forward to having a second child start at Pathfinder next year. My niece attended Pathfinder for a few years in her teen years and she (as well as her parents) also has nothing but respect and admiration for the staff and the school.

Posted October 27, 2013

This is our daughters first year at Pathfinder Academy. She loves it, we love it. We are amazed at the things she comes home and tells us about what she is learning. Her teacher, principal, PE coach and staff are all excellent. We look forward to many more years at this school.

Posted October 23, 2013

Pathfinder is the place to beat! I am so amazed at how they teach my children subjects that my two teenagers didnt learn till sophomore year! This school is so wonderful and I would not be surprised if this school is number one in the nation! Thank you pathfinder for giving my kids this great opportunity to be In your school!

Posted October 23, 2013

I couldn't be more happy with our experience at Pathfinder Academy! My kids have loved each of their teachers, who have instilled within them a love of learning and academic achievement. It's an environment that we feel is safe and healthy for our kids, has high standards, and is the best educational experience they can have next to a private school. My kids love it!

Posted December 7, 2011

This little unassuming school is amazing! Thanks to them all of my kids blew the AIM's tests out of the water with near perfect scores. You can't find a better school.Maybe the Mesa school district should take some lessons from them on how to have a good school.

Posted July 19, 2011

i was a student at this amazing school from third grade all the way through eighth grade, today i went to take college placements tests for classes i will be taking throughout high school, thanks to this school i scored a 100% in the English and will probably be placed in the honors 101 class a 84% in reading and will be in the highest class, should i have got the next bracket up it would have been an exemption from reading all together, and a 61% in math, not as good, but high enough to make them tell me to go back and take the next level test, which is pre-calculus level, and i say its all thanks to this wonderful school and the amazing teachers working there, i would highly recommend this school to anyone and everyone who wants to learn and cares about their academics

Posted August 26, 2008

Both of my sons are now at Pathfinders and I have had so much fun seeing the amazing teaching first hand! I have been able to attend classes and observe as well as volunteer regularly. I have never seen a school teach such wonderful lessons and still cater to the needs of each child. I have to say that it may be small, but it packs a powerful punch. It is unconventional in appearance, but so what? If it does wonderful things, it is still wonderful! I couldn't be more happy with Pathfinders!

Posted May 2, 2007

I have had four children attend Pathfinder Academy. I have found it to be exceptional in preparing them for higher educational experiences, academically and socially. The small classrooms, caring administration and teachers (who go the extra mile) and secure and safe environment have made for an ideal educational experience. My children can't wait to go to school each day and always return home smiling and happy. I can't speak highly enough of Pathfinder Academy!

Posted September 14, 2006

I have 4 children attending Pathfinder, and we love this school. Smaller classes, individual learning levels, and a focus on basic academics, are what drew us here. It's obvious that the teachers really love what they do! I also read that the AZ Dept of Education lists Pathfinder as one of Arizona's top schools, with a rating of 'highly performing.' Just last year, 92% of all students met or exceeded the AIMS requirements. And my kindergartener was reading by December, also. Reader's Theater, a computer lab, arts and crafts days, and PE games, are just some of the high-lights my kids talk about, everyday.

Posted September 14, 2006

Very pleased with this school. The principal and teachers are wonderful. I was apprehensive about the location at first but when I met the staff and saw children having fun while learning, I was sold. Very nice combination of high academic standards and fun!

Posted December 3, 2005

Pathfinders is one of the best schools in the valley. There is a lot of focus on academic achievment. Excellent teachers. Very high end school.
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted July 14, 2005

My daughter attended this school last year and I counld not have been more pleased. This school is wonderful. She learned so much and has grown socially. The teachers are awesome and very caring toward the students. I just can't say enough, it is great.

Posted July 14, 2005

This school us unconventional in appearance, however, my son loves it. He was in the kindergarten class last year and learned more than we could have ever expected. He was reading by December and by the end of the school year he was taking (and getting 100%) spelling tests and doing math. I have talked to many of the other mothers/fathers at this school and I have not found one that has had a problem with this school or teachers. Anyone who would say otherwise will never be satisfied anywhere.

Posted June 30, 2005

This is a very small school that is held in the principals home which has been modified to accomodate classes. Recess is held in the backyard and there is no lunch room. Children are packed into the small classrooms. Don't expect solutions to problems that you or your child might have as we experienced complete disregard for our concerns. Thankfully we are returning our child to public school next year.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 19%N/A47%
Female 57%N/A49%
Male 43%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Rated as an "excelling" school by the AZ Department of ED (2012)
  • Rated as an "A" school by the AZ Department of ED (2013)

Special education / special needs

• 7:50am
School end time
  • 3:00pm
  • Susan Stradling
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (480) 986-9858

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• None
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Transportation options

Music
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights