Sequoia Academics and Arts Elementary Charter School

Charter | K-12 | 207 students

Family friendly environment; emphasizing the fine and performing arts.

Sweep tile

Posted February 5, 2014

They don't care about the identifying and correcting the basic problems of the learning disability. They will get the child a diploma. They need more staff.

Posted July 17, 2011

tHIS IS ONE OF THE WORST SCHOOLS IN ARIZONA. ONE OF MY GRANDCHILDREN WAS MADE FUN OF BY HER OWN TEACHER TO OTHER STUDENTS CALLING HER DUMB AND FAT. MY OTHER GRANDDAUGHTER COULDN'T MAKE ANYTHING BUT D AND F'S. CHANGED SCHOOLS TO A PUBLIC SHE NOW MAKES STRAIGHT A'S MY FIRST GRANDDAUGHTER HAS CHOOSEN TO DO SCHOOL ONLINE.

Posted April 22, 2010

I attended this school througout my primary ages. I enjoyed the one on one attention that LCBA provides, I was able to learn alot and gained long term friendships. This school by far is my favorite.

Posted September 24, 2009

Its a great school with wonderful teachers that are very well trained. The academics are great as is the learning environment. I graduated a year early and I'm on my way to college which can't be done at a lot of regular schools.

Posted October 6, 2008

Horrible school! wonderful teachers Loved them, but the poltics are horrible. Once they get it in there head that they don't want you kid there, they do everything to get them out. They called me everyday for a month everytime that I sent my daughter to school. She has this wrong or this,,you need to come and get her. When she was allowed to go she learned, but they haven't let her go in over a month. I pulled my kid out today.

Posted July 1, 2008

I really like this school. I had F's at my old school and when I moved here my grades turned into A's and B's. Also Ms.Cubly is amazing she has helped me so much. I haven't even been at this school very long but I love it and I love how everyone is like family to me. Ms.Cubly is surly a great lady she keeps us in line and makes sure we don't fall behind. The teachers here are amazing at what they do. Yes the school may not be big and it may not look great but as Iv been taught you should not judge a book by its cover.

Posted July 1, 2008

I have bin going to LCBA for almost 4 years now and I thank my parents for putting me here. If it wasn't for Ms.Cubley I would never be in the 11th grade. This is such a amazing school any child would do outstanding at this school. Everyone gets equal help here and it's a great working environment.

Posted September 27, 2007

I am still happy with this school, we have been together for two years, and I have never felt more at ease when it comes to academic learning, and not only the individual subjects, but the individual studies in each subject, I mean just because a certain level of say math, grammar, science, is not understood, that doesn't mean the whole subject needs to be covered again, just that area, less bordom. And every student is a person there, and it shows.

Posted November 9, 2006

this school is as low as you can go.

Posted September 29, 2006

I have 4 children that attend lcba and i have tried other schools but have always gone back to lcba because of certain teachers like mrs baldwin, mrs wakefield, especially mrs belling and now mr crea i agree the teachers are great, but the leadership (principal) can sometimes get out of hand.

Posted June 7, 2006

I enrolled my son in this school in October of last year after having numerous issues with him at his public school. I will admit the school is not clean, there is sand all over the front of the school but children do learn there. If you have a child with behavioral problems and needs more structure in school then this is the school for them. My son was going to a beautiful brand new school but that did nothing for him. Sometimes putting them in a 'basic' environment teaches them the reason why they are really in school... to learn and respect adults. I know the school will be moving for the next school year and I'm sure this new bldg will be much improved.

Posted April 13, 2006

My daughter first started going to this school last semester and although I think they do a good job with academics I have a few complants. 1)The school is not clean. W/ only sand and concreate to play on. 2) I have not been asked to participate in any parent teacher confrence. 3) My daughter was picked up by a relative who was not asked for idenification, they were not even questioned on who they were.4) The kids are all put together and my 6year old was 'hanging' out with a 16 year old who gave my daughter her boyfriends phone # and wanted my daughter to call him. Very unhappy mom

Posted February 14, 2006

My children attend this school last year & the year before. I have to say. The principal (Robin) is the most unprofessional woman. I have ever meet. The teacher of this school are wonderful but unfortunately not enough to advise anyone to send their child to this school. Think 2,3,4 times before you think about sending your child(ren) to this school.

Posted January 10, 2006

My step-daughter has only been in the school for the past 4 months, but I have seen great improvements. The teacher, principal and other staff listened and were interested in her personal struggles and have done all they can to try and help her succeed. I love that the school is small and that she receives more personal attention than a public school and her teacher seems to care about the students and how they are doing. The focus is on the core subjects rather than extracurricular activities to try and prepare the students for the AIMS testing.

Posted October 27, 2004

The teachers are wonderful and caring, small school environment leaves room for children to gain more self-confidence.

Posted September 23, 2004

My children were having problems in school until I changed them to LCBA. Since then thier grades and their confidence has gone up. The staff is wonderful and know not only the children by name but also the parents. When I told my children we were moving the first thing they wanted to know was if they were still going to be able to go to LCBA. I highly recommend this school to all families with school age children.

Posted March 11, 2004

I went to Learning Crossroads Basic Academy for four years. and loved it. I cired soo much on the night I left. becauses the teachers really do care so much about you and the rest of the staff. I learned so many things. not just educational but I learned a lot of values. with out L.C.B.A I would not be the person I am today. Mrs. Cubley rockes! Mr. McCrea he's awsome he has got to be the worlds gratest teacher. if I had to nomaninte a teacher for the best teacher he would get my vote a thousand times. he taught me more than any one hae ever. and made a big impact on my life. Mrs. Cel I love her shes so great. even thoght I don't go there anymore I still visit I love them all they all rock and are so much fun. I would totally recamand them
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 28, 2003

My sons has been going to Learning Crossroad Basic Academy for a few years now. Although the school was not the best looking school the first visit, I was very much impressed with the learning atmosphere the students receive. I have been very satisfied with the education my sons are getting. This is my son's fourth school since they started school. I am not moving them to another school even though we live about 25 miles from the school. I have been dropping them off before I go to work (3 miles from the school) and picking them up. I can always depend on this school for any special request that I may have. For example, if I have to stay late for work, I can simply call the school and ask them to let my son ride the school bus. If they forgot to bring lunch, they take care of them. Never failed to impress me of the kind of service I get from this school and the 'family atmosphere' you can see and feel. Everyone in school, from Pre-K to 9th grade knows each other! Miss Cubley is an excellent principal who I always see teaches the very basic of social skills....RESPECT! The teachers work very hard to make my son's school experience very educational and memorable. This is a school my kids always look forward of going back to year after year. Thank you to the educators of LCBA. You are awesome!!!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

24 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

24 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Underperforming".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian 3% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 50%N/A46%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff American sign language
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Arts & music

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Arts (all)
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Dance teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
  • Lori Graham
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (480) 449-9565

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Arts (all)
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • College counselor(s)
  • Dance teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • American sign language
Extra learning resources offered
  • Career/college counseling
  • Counseling
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
College preparation / awareness resources offered
  • Community college courses
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields

• Creative writing
  • Dance
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights