No rating

Hillcrest Academy

Charter | K-8 | 100 students

We are best known for Character Education and our FREE before and after care!

Living in Mesa

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $116,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

School Official Point of View

Posted March 1, 2011

Destiny Community School has the best students, parents and staff. We are committed to providing a safe and secure learning environment. We know that it is difficult finding the right school for your child and there are many things that go into your decision. Our educational facility is warm and inviting to all students who wish to attend here. We focus on character education and provide small learning communities for our students. Thank you to all of our supporters you are the ones that make Destiny the best school in Arizona.

Posted November 27, 2007

I am a very skeptical parent and always cautious regarding my children's education and even though I have had some very serious concerns in the past they all seem to have been resolved and am know extremely happy that I have stuck it out with the school. RI has been the best for my children.

Posted July 23, 2007

I love this school. We came in the middle of the school year now 5 yrs ago. We have a drive to come to school (about 1 hr) but that has not changed our mind on this school. The teachers are great they listen and help your child. The principal is great with the kids and parents love her. The owners are great and nice also. My son has had a hard time from his old school but they help him every step of the way. He loves this school, it doesn't hurt with the small classes and one on one the teacher give. Parents helping out makes this school a great one.

Posted June 27, 2007

As I enter the learning community of Destiny each new morning, I am greeted by a feeling of warmth and caring. This is a school in which good character traits are practiced by staff and students alike. I am impressed by the dedication of its staff members and the way they work together under the excellent leadership of Dr. Wendy Noble. The staff members all have one priority and that is to give each student the very best education possible in a happy and safe learning environment. The students are loved and each is treated as an individual. Parents are always welcome here! There is no better place to work or learn! I am thankful to be at Destiny.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 21, 2007

Destiny Community has far exceeded my expectations this last year. My 7th grader and my Kindergartner absolutely Loved and did so well academically. The teachers are very focused on the kids, and really show a heart for caring about their education as well their character. I am so happy I found this school! I feel so blessed to have found this fantastic school. To me it is like having a private education for my children without the Cost! Wow! We'll see you in the Fall!

Posted June 21, 2007

Destiny Community School I have been a student at Destiny for six years. I have only wonderful things to say about Destiny community school. The principal is fair and reasonable but doesn't tolerate bullying or other bad behaviors. Ms. Edington the 5/6 teacher is great. She has helped me go through 3 different grade levels of math . Destiny has a great sports program, Physical Education is fun and keeps you fit. The staff at destiny are very friendly and are easy to get along with. Last year most of the staff was my good friends it sounds funny but its true. Ms. Hansen the resource teacher (also known as special education) is great she has different systems to help with our lower levels in different classes. By: Kyle
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 21, 2007

My children have attended Destiny Community School for the past two years and I have been very pleased. I am very impressed with the teachers and Principal. My children love going to school! I appreciate how much they care about my children. I am so happy that my family found Destiny to call our home.

Posted June 21, 2007

I love the small community at Destiny! Everyone knows my child's name and cares about her. She has grown so much in her reading this year. The kindergarten program is excellent! Thank you!

Posted June 21, 2007

The name says it all! Destiny Community School is a safe, small school with a sense of community. The PTSO is very active and has done a great job of sponsoring activities for parents to meet one another from donuts with dads to muffins with moms to a spring picnic. Parents are welcomed at this school!

Posted June 21, 2007

As an educator with 30+ years of experience, I have seen many trends in education come and go. The one constant has been that the needs of the student need to be met in order to prepare them for the 'real world' which awaits them. When I moved to AZ in 2002, I began looking for a student centered school with strong academics. I found it in Destiny Community School. Destiny is a community of teachers and administrators who want every student to find success, both academically and socially. Each of us is committed to helping every student achieve their best in every area. Our principal provides solid leadership and an open door to anyone who needs a moment of her time. Destiny continues to become a great place because of her.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 7, 2007

My family has been with the school for two years. I have spoken to the leadership of the school many times about their teacher inability to handle students. It's unbelievable to see how many problems they have! I probably don't need to say-we will not be back.

Posted June 6, 2007

Overall, we have been extremely satisfied with Destiny and the quality of education provided to our child. The teaching of the character traits is an excellent and very important part of the curriculum. The front office staff, the principal, and the teacher are always extremely kind, approachable, and open to anything we come to them with.

Posted May 9, 2007

Destiny is not what it seems. We have been here for three years and they make a lot of promises, but in the end they are not able to deliver. I feel like I have given the school long enough to change since they can't we will.

Posted May 8, 2007

I love Destiny! My daughter has attended two years and my son has attended one. We love the school - the principal is great and all the teachers genuinely seem to care about each student. Most teachers know all the kids names in the school, not just their class. I feel that my kids are in a safe and educational environment. Miss Flores is an amazing kindergarten teacher - my son learned to read quickly and is now at the top of the class! Mrs. Weiss is just the best. My daughter has excelled beyond my wildest dreams under her amazing teaching. I would and have recommended Destiny!

Posted May 1, 2007

My daughter has been going to Destiny for 3 years. She is not the 'perfect' student and at times has trouble focusing and getting work done. Her current teacher has been extremely patient and has made special efforts to work with her and help her along. And she keeps in almost daily contact with me via email. I have addressed some safety issues to the principle and she has immediatly taken action. No school is perfect and I think it's a work in progress but have seen vast improvements with the current principle and teachers. Being a recent single parent and new business owner, I have not been as involved as I would like, but I hope that will change soon. I'm looking forward to when my son can start kindergarten and go to Destiny with his sister!

Posted April 29, 2007

My son attended Destiny during his second grade year, before we moved to Maryland. He benefited a great deal from the small class size, differentiated instruction that included all learning levels, and consistent discipline throughout the school setting. His teacher was a true professional of high standards who held the children to reasonable yet high expectations. The administration and special area teachers all work together with the teaching staff to provide a well-rounded and supportive environment. I loved the school and his second grade teacher is someone he will remember his all life. As a parent who is also a teacher, I confidently recommend Destiny Community to anyone who seeks a supportive, academically sound environment in which to participate with their child.

Posted April 23, 2007

I love Destiny Community School! My children have been in the school for 5 years now and each year it gets better. The principal always takes the time to talk to me and she seems to really care about my kids and their education. The teachers are outstanding...my kids have never had a 'bad' teacher or a bad experience here. They have made lots of friends and they are thriving. They also feel safe and are happy at Destiny. Overall, this school was the best choice we could have ever made for our children's education.

Posted April 23, 2007

I think Destiny is a very good small, safe school for my children. My children have been at the school for years and I can say only good things about Destiny. Is it a perfect school - no. But my children a happy, safe and in a class size of less then 25.

Posted March 28, 2007

My children have been at DCS for four years and it has been a wonderful experience. The principal is dedicated to helping each child reach his or her full potential. She truly knows and appreciates the children as individuals. The teachers are excellent and provide consistent feedback to students as well as parents. The principal, teachers and staff of DCS provide a safe and supportive environment in which children are encouraged to thrive. My children look forward to going to school each day.

Posted February 4, 2007

My son has attended kindergarten and now 1st grade at Destiny. What an excellent foundation he has received in his education as well as character. I am grateful for the integrity of the teachers, princple, and secretary. Destiny has provided a safe haven for my son with special emotional needs. They have gone above and beyond for him attending to him on a very personal level. And I feel confident with the staff that they handle his needs with him in mind (and not on a generic scale like the public school does). I am pleased with the diversity of families that attend and it has aided my son with understanding and accepting all transracial ethnicities as well as his own. I thank Destiny for the major part they are contributing to my sons' destiny in life.

Posted February 2, 2007

Destiny offers more than just a classroom; with the low teacher to student ratio, the teachers are able to give the students what they need. The variety of after school activities are great to give your child a variety of things to do and learn. The principal, Dr. Noble is very good to the children and takes the time to get to know each child in her school; rare in these days to find someone who cares about the students and their success. I look forward to what 2007-2008 will bring to both of my children at Destiny. Keep up the great work!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 46%N/A47%
Female 49%N/A49%
Male 51%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Computer specialist(s)
Art teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • State Science Fair - 2nd Place (2012)
  • State Science Fair - 3rd Place (2011)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • United Food Bank - Food Drive (2011)
  • Reading Tree (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Jerad Hunsaker
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (480) 353-2832

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep

• Access to sports fields
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom