No rating

Hillcrest Academy

Charter | K-8 | 100 students

We are best known for Character Education and our FREE before and after care!

Living in Mesa

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $116,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

School Official Point of View

Posted March 1, 2011

Destiny Community School has the best students, parents and staff. We are committed to providing a safe and secure learning environment. We know that it is difficult finding the right school for your child and there are many things that go into your decision. Our educational facility is warm and inviting to all students who wish to attend here. We focus on character education and provide small learning communities for our students. Thank you to all of our supporters you are the ones that make Destiny the best school in Arizona.

Posted February 2, 2007

Destiny offers more than just a classroom; with the low teacher to student ratio, the teachers are able to give the students what they need. The variety of after school activities are great to give your child a variety of things to do and learn. The principal, Dr. Noble is very good to the children and takes the time to get to know each child in her school; rare in these days to find someone who cares about the students and their success. I look forward to what 2007-2008 will bring to both of my children at Destiny. Keep up the great work!

Posted February 2, 2007

My son has been a student at Destiny Community School since 2004. I have nothing but compliments for the school, the administration and the staff. My son has enjoyed his teachers, his classmates, and the curriculum that is being used. One of the things that impressed me most is that the school not only focuses on academics, but also emphasizes character development. Characteristics such as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control, and respect are nurtured and recognized in each student. I also appreciate that the teachers work closely with the parents to determine the very best way for each student to learn, and do all they can to keep them interested and challenged. I would highly recommend Destiny Community School to any parent looking for quality education, great teachers, and wonderful opportunities for their child to learn and grow.

Posted January 19, 2007

We have been part of The Destiny Community family for three years. I say family because that is what it feels like. The Principal, teachers and office staff knows the names of all the children as well as the parents. When on campus, you can see first hand how caring and loving the entire staff is. School is such a big part of our children's life, I feel it should be a place where they feel safe and enjoy going. I feel great about the decision to attend this school. My son has been excelling in all aspects of his education. He loves this school. Soon my other son will be going to Destiny, he cannot wait. I highly recommend Destiny Community School!

Posted January 14, 2007

This used to be a great school, but it has declined the last couple of years. Teacher quality, communication, and attitude are drastically down. There is also a little acknowledged bullying problem that the school does not seem to know how to deal with appropriately. The principal tries hard, but seems to end up doing much of the work herself.

Posted October 18, 2006

I am so impressed with Destiny Community School! The teachers are outstanding and really care about the students in their classes. The community of parents is positive, and I always feel welcome when I am on campus. I appreciate the way the principal interacts with students and parents. She is very supportive of all of us and is constantly available to listen to us. My children are receiving an excellent education!

Posted October 13, 2006

In every class, kindergarten through now third grade, my daughter has been given an advantage in the world. She is in a school where everyone knows her name and respects her as a person, since the classes are small she is given individual attention and time to understand the principles of what is being taught. The staff members at DCS are always open to communication and raise the bar high to find new ways to teach our children and encourage Character Counts throughout the entire school. I appreciate the time and effort each staff member puts into taking the time with my child; if I cannot be with my daughter to guide, I want her to be in an environment I can feel comfortable with, Destiny is the safe environment for me.

Posted September 27, 2006

Destiny's uniform policy-yes-saves money on clothing. But the safety of the school-I am more concerned about. Parents are coming in the school-before and after-whenever they please-they swarm like bees-and your child may get lost in all the clutter! The school is really too small for as many children they enroioll-and not proper safety measures with dropping off/picking up your kids. I am searching for another school.

Posted February 28, 2006

Destiny Community School provides a positive environment in which educating the whole person comes first. The teachers work hard to help each child reach their goals. I really like the direction I see this school going in. The school is continually improving. The staff is fantastic. The principal is friendly and easy to work with, the secretary is the sweetest, and the teachers are just great. There is great parent involvement - plenty of opportunity. The music program is fabulous and the kids really enjoy themselves. I'm so glad our family found Destiny Community School and we hope not to leave until our last child completes her education there. Thank you, Destiny!

Posted February 27, 2006

We have been involved with Destiny Community School for the last four years. The atmosphere at the school is like a small community where you and your children are all known by name, and warmly welcomed. The staff is friendly, knowledgable, and sincere in your children's well-being. I feel like our 8th grader has excelled beyond her grade level, and has been encouraged to go at her pace. Our first grader loves the attentions she gets in her small class room and has been an excellent reader since Kindergarten! The music and extra-curricular programs are fun, yet are taught with excellence. Destiny Community School focuses on the whole person: education, safety, and character. It is a place your children will excel and enjoy.

Posted February 26, 2006

My son has attended DCS for past 3 years and my daughter for 1 year. Each child is encouraged to do their personal best. I have enjoyed the extra time my son's teacher takes to e-mail and send me a progress report on a daily basis. My daughter's kindergarten teacher,has gone above and beyond a regular curriculum to teach these young kindergarten students subjects that have left me with a great impression of her skilled teaching methods. There is a great comadiere between teachers, students, and parents.

Posted February 24, 2006

The parents are involved in the school on all levels. The school has a small town relationship were everybody seems to know everybody. The teachers and Principal are always available to talk to. There are a lot of extracurricular activities for all ages that include the parents also. My children enjoy the school and feel comfortable with there teachers and classmates.

Posted February 24, 2006

We have four children at Destiny Community School between 1st and 7th grades and we are extremely pleased with the education that each child is receiving at DCS. The teachers are excellent at working toward each child s specific learning needs. Students have access to an exceptional extra-curricular activity program and the teachers and staff focus on the overall well being of each student. My children have grown academically and socially during their years at DCS. The entire school is flourishing under the leadership of the principal, Dr. Wendy Noble whose passion for education and enthusiasm for children are evident in everything she does. The teachers, staff, parents, and students enjoy a true sense of community. My husband and I feel very fortunate to have our children in this school.

Posted May 10, 2005

This school is absolutely amazing. My son started Kindergarten not knowing his ABC's, or able to count to 10. More worrisome was the fact that he had no interest in learning them. I suspected ADD or ADHD. His teacher, Miss Flores, allayed my fears and has instilled in him a real enjoyment of learning. It boggles my mind that he is now able to count to 100, as well as sound out and read many 3 and 4 letter words. Miss Flores has actually taught her kids a song in which they sing all of the 50 states' names in alphabetical order while pointing to them on the map! The other thing that I love about Destiny is the vision of the Principal, Michael Gaun. The kids get graded not only on academics, but also in love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness and self-control. This is truly a great school.

Posted April 1, 2005

My son attends half day kindergarten in Mrs. Blunt's class. She is a wonderful teacher and this is a wonderful school. His class has only 14 kids. All grades have small class size and focus on back to basics math and reading. They wear uniforms and they do not tolerate bad behavior. They teach traditional values and expect the children to respect their classmates and teachers. They have music, art and PE several times a week. They have afterschool programs some free and others fee based. I do have to read to my son at least 20 minutes each night and do his nightly homework with him, but it is well worth the time to see him excel. I would highly recommend Destiny Community School.

Posted March 29, 2005

I attended a Winter concert at DCS put on by Mrs.Pelletier the music teacher and as a music student in another school I was very immpressed. The children seemed to love what they were doing and the teacher seemed to love them. The concert had many musical qualities and I couldn't believe how well the students participated. It was one of the best school concerts I've ever attended. I wish she was my music teacher.
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 4, 2004

This school is awesome! My children are thriving in Destiny s positive environment. The teachers are kind and supportive. I receive tons of feedback on how my kids are doing in class. The music, art, and sports programs are a plus. And, I like the emphasis on character development. I highly recommend this school.

Posted December 14, 2003

My daughter really loves this school. I find that everyone is so nice and helpful. I do wish tho they would learn the phonics program for reading and have special programs for after school for the kindergarden level. Teachers are so helpful and when they are out for vacations they have a wonderful childcare program. I'm very pleased and recommend this school to any one.

Posted October 1, 2003

Our son loves this school! This is his second year at Destiny. He is doing great - socially and academically. He loves his teacher(s) and absolutely loves the after school program. The principal and staff are very dedicated and caring.

Posted September 26, 2003

This is an excellent school. My third grader is doing only fourth grade work and I couldn't be more please. They don't settle for average acheivement and I feel they are preparing him well academically and socially with their character program. They also have a free after school program that has really helped me out because of my work schedule. Our family couldn't afford to keep my son enrolled in private school but since we found this school we feel he is not missing out on anything and because it's a public school we no longer have to pay the tuition.

Posted September 21, 2003

My child goes to this school and is learning more than in the public schools. The individualized learning plan approach is excellant. Communication from the teacher to the parent is awesome. I see a principal who cares and very devoted teachers; in fact, a principal and teachers who go far beyond in their dedication to the students. I wish the parents were more involved than what I see. I think these teachers need more support from the parents. Every day my child is happy to go to school. I see an attitude reemerging in my child of wanting to learn and that is a big deal! The Character Counts program this school teaches is exactly what today's kids need.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 46%N/A47%
Female 49%N/A49%
Male 51%N/A51%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Computer specialist(s)
Art teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • State Science Fair - 2nd Place (2012)
  • State Science Fair - 3rd Place (2011)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • United Food Bank - Food Drive (2011)
  • Reading Tree (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Jerad Hunsaker
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (480) 353-2832

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep

• Access to sports fields
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom