No rating

Hillcrest Academy

Charter | K-8 | 100 students

We are best known for Character Education and our FREE before and after care!

Living in Mesa

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $116,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Sweep tile

School Official Point of View

Posted March 1, 2011

Destiny Community School has the best students, parents and staff. We are committed to providing a safe and secure learning environment. We know that it is difficult finding the right school for your child and there are many things that go into your decision. Our educational facility is warm and inviting to all students who wish to attend here. We focus on character education and provide small learning communities for our students. Thank you to all of our supporters you are the ones that make Destiny the best school in Arizona.

Posted February 7, 2014

They have changed their name and the ownership. The class size is very small and they really seem to care about the kids. The curriculum is not advanced but it is above the public school standards. Even though my son could read and add the public school said he was not ready for kindergarten because he couldn't write his full name and didn't know how to sit criss cross (he had never gone to preschool). He was only 1 month shy of the age cut off. Hillcrest took him and worked with him on his fine muscle control. He holds a pencil correctly now and has all of the classroom etiquette he needs to go forward. Not every school has to be an advanced school. Some of these little individual attention charters are good to have in a community. Now that he has caught up in the area he was lacking he can move to a faster pace school but that wouldn't have been possible without the time and patience this school showed him.

Posted May 25, 2011

I love,love,love this school! they do a great job! My son was really having a hard time in school before Destiny.Now he has improved sooooo much.I am 4ever gratefull.

Posted September 1, 2010

My child has been at this school for three years now, and I can honestly say, the growth in community and leadership has grown. The music teacher is someone who has tremendously improved the music program is full of charisma and is an amazing leader. We're so blessed to be a part of this community . The teachers are helpful and have really stepped up within the last couple of years. Keep up the awesome work!

Posted June 27, 2010

I have two children at this school and we have been very pleased. The children are challenged academically but not stresssed out with tons of homework as many of their friends from other schools are. I love the small class size and caring teachers. They also offer some great after school clubs. Parents can be as active as they want with opportunities to volunteer in the classroom and PTSO and special events. Destiny has been a great choice for our family.

Posted May 3, 2010

I have had my child here since 1st grade and have not had any issues with charater. I am sorry that you have felt this way but just to let you know that these teachers and staff have an open door policy so if you have questions or conserns you need to address them to them. If you have volenteered your time for the school at anytime or even take a little time out of your day when you pick up your child you would get to know more than just one teacher. The older students are not rude or out of control so before you can say that you need to not judge please, these are very nice kids. The teachers have very good kids and they HAVE control of their classes. I love this school and they are great with kids and challenge them everyday.

Posted April 30, 2010

I am sorry that the parent that posted on the 28th feels that way. Have concerns been addressed to the teacher(s) or principal? Every teacher has control over their classroom and every teacher teaches character counts. We are a charter school. We are not restricted to certain curriculum. Our teachers have the freedom to teach what works for their students, even if that means not reading from a textbook and doing worksheets all the time. Teachers teach to their students' learnng style Not all students are alike. We just had Spring Fling where art work from every student was displayed in the cafeteria and it was so awesome!!!!! The kids loved it and the parents loved it!!!!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 30, 2010

As a parent of two students at Destiny I am blown away by the negative comments coming from parents. Most schools don't even have an art program for their students. Destiny is trying to start something special and it takes time instead of tearing down you should help build up. If you go into the multi-purpose room you will see plenty of art. I agree that the P.E. program has had problems but a recent letter home indicated that the school is making a change. I am very happy with Destiny.

Posted April 28, 2010

If you want your child to watch movies or just play on the playground during PE, Music and Class time than Destiny is the school for your child. Art class is not much better. My child cannot tell me what she has learned in Art nor have I have seen any piece of Art my child has done in class this year. Upper grade teachers have no control of the classrooms. There are a lot of bulling and bad character in the classrooms. Oh speaking of character, the school has no character program either. The school claims to be 'Where Character Counts' but I have not seen one once of teaching of character behavior besides the newsletter. Respect and Honesty has been lacking in the school among the leadership as well as some teachers. I will say that I have seen nice and caring teachers for K-2.

Posted March 29, 2010

Wow. I was really shocked by the review from January. My child has been going to Destiny for 4 years and she loves it. Yes, there was a leadership change, but for the better. I was skeptical of the new move, but in my opinion it went smooth and it was for the best interest for growth and the kids. They even accommodated the move with busing. I feel that the school is always encouraging us parents to be involved with our children and the school. The teachers do care. I feel there is always room for improvement and they are doing their best to improve where needed. No school is perfect obviously, and I feel that the negative review wasn't necessary.

Posted March 12, 2010

I feel the comments made on March 11 were truly unfair. My child has also been at Destiny for 2 years. The move was a surprize but much needed. The old school was too small and falling apart. The new location is BEATIFUL. You can see a lot of effort and hard work was put in to it. The next comments made were beyond ridiculous. Teachers leave. Some follow a dream to teach on the reservation, some pursue a business venture, and some choose to continue their education. Destiny teachers and administrators are talented and caring. They are always there for my family. My child is always telling me about the playground and how much fun it is. Really? Hardly used? Don't forget--No morning assembly on cold or rainy days. My child and I are looking forward to a bright future at Destiny.

Posted March 11, 2010

I have had my child at this school for two years. In that two years we started with a new principal whom we were willing to give a chance to. Last year all seemed well...until an end of year meeting in which it was sprung on us that we were moving to a new building much further from the original location, and that things would be changing in order to accomodate district regulation. What happened next was beyond ridiculous. The teachers that had any talent or concern for educating the children all left. A new playground was built, but the children hardly use it, unless its for 'P.E.' classes. Morning assembly was a daily event that both children and parents looked forward to-this no longer happens. My child's education has been nil this year. P.E. consists of We will not be returning to Destiny, no matter what reassurances the principal gives.

Posted January 13, 2010

My children have attended Destiny for several years. I'm not very happy with the new leadership. Parent involvement seems discouraged, teachers are mediocre and no new efforts for better education. New school for us next year!

Posted January 13, 2010

My daughter started the year in a Kyrene Public school. We were very unhappy with the school and principal and started looking for an alternative. My daughter had gotten to the point of not wanting to attend school and that was a huge flag for us. I researched and visited a dozen or so schools and picked Destiny because of the small class sizes as well as the great attitude and reception we received when touring the school. My daughter has excelled since starting at Destiny. The curriculum is much higher then that in Kyrene and there is a lot more 1 on 1 time. I would recommend this school to anyone for their kids to get the best education possible.

Posted October 30, 2009

This is a wonderful school. Very caring staff, a very nurturing environment. I think this is one of the best schools my children have attended here in Arizona.

Posted August 13, 2009

I have 4 children attinding Destiny. My children get a lot of 1 on 1 time and are learning at higher grade levels. The staff is great and very helpfull. The new location is wonderful and gives the kids lots of room to learn, play and be creative. I would highly recomend Destsinty Community School.

Posted June 2, 2009

New principal and board president. It's changing a lot and it is difficult to say what direction it's heading. Like the smaller class sizes, like the regular music classes, like the optional religion class. Wish the quality of instruction would improve.

Posted January 6, 2008

This is an average school that I have recently attended. The small settings are nice, however the textbooks are outdated to an extent, the lunches served are not the best, and various places of the school need additional matience. The fence is rusting at the bottom, and the playground is not kept under the best care. However, it is not so bad as it is a small environment that allows for easier learning, and staff is friendly. Overall, it is an average school, but I haven't been to any other charter schools so I wouldn't be sure how to compare this one to them. It could use some more funding, however, besides that, it is okay.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 28, 2007

Our child is in Kindergarten and always loves to go to school, and loves to learn. Obviously the school and teachers are not only teaching the children but also making it interesting during the process. We appreciate the values the school stands for and teaches. These traits will build a strong foundation for our children and others who choose to attend. Thanks Destiny!

Posted November 27, 2007

I am a very skeptical parent and always cautious regarding my children's education and even though I have had some very serious concerns in the past they all seem to have been resolved and am know extremely happy that I have stuck it out with the school. RI has been the best for my children.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian 6% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 42%N/A46%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Computer specialist(s)
Art teacher(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • State Science Fair - 2nd Place (2012)
  • State Science Fair - 3rd Place (2011)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • United Food Bank - Food Drive (2011)
  • Reading Tree (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Jerad Hunsaker
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (480) 353-2832

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep

• Access to sports fields
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom