Public charter
Mesa, AZ
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Destiny Community School has the best students, parents and staff. We are committed to providing a safe and secure learning environment. We know that it is difficult finding the right school for your child and there are many things that go into your decision. Our educational facility is warm and inviting to all students who wish to attend here. We focus on character education and provide small learning communities for our students. Thank you to all of our supporters you are the ones that make Destiny the best school in Arizona.
March 1, 2011

Posted September 08, 2014
We transferred our kids to this school last year and I don't regret it at all. The class sizes are small and the teachers and staff are wonderful. I LOVE the tutor care program! It is so nice to pick my kids up and their homework is done! My kids are getting better grades and they're making good friends.

Posted April 17, 2014
Hillcrest staff and admin are awesome. They are committed to the traditional values and leadership instruction for all of their students - I have been impressed with their curriculum but their friendly faces and cheerful countenances are the most impressive.

Hillcrest Academy 4

Posted February 07, 2014
They have changed their name and the ownership. The class size is very small and they really seem to care about the kids. The curriculum is not advanced but it is above the public school standards. Even though my son could read and add the public school said he was not ready for kindergarten because he couldn't write his full name and didn't know how to sit criss cross (he had never gone to preschool). He was only 1 month shy of the age cut off. Hillcrest took him and worked with him on his fine muscle control. He holds a pencil correctly now and has all of the classroom etiquette he needs to go forward. Not every school has to be an advanced school. Some of these little individual attention charters are good to have in a community. Now that he has caught up in the area he was lacking he can move to a faster pace school but that wouldn't have been possible without the time and patience this school showed him.

Posted May 25, 2011
I love,love,love this school! they do a great job! My son was really having a hard time in school before Destiny.Now he has improved sooooo much.I am 4ever gratefull.

Posted September 01, 2010
My child has been at this school for three years now, and I can honestly say, the growth in community and leadership has grown. The music teacher is someone who has tremendously improved the music program is full of charisma and is an amazing leader. We're so blessed to be a part of this community . The teachers are helpful and have really stepped up within the last couple of years. Keep up the awesome work!

Posted June 27, 2010
I have two children at this school and we have been very pleased. The children are challenged academically but not stresssed out with tons of homework as many of their friends from other schools are. I love the small class size and caring teachers. They also offer some great after school clubs. Parents can be as active as they want with opportunities to volunteer in the classroom and PTSO and special events. Destiny has been a great choice for our family.

Posted May 03, 2010
I have had my child here since 1st grade and have not had any issues with charater. I am sorry that you have felt this way but just to let you know that these teachers and staff have an open door policy so if you have questions or conserns you need to address them to them. If you have volenteered your time for the school at anytime or even take a little time out of your day when you pick up your child you would get to know more than just one teacher. The older students are not rude or out of control so before you can say that you need to not judge please, these are very nice kids. The teachers have very good kids and they HAVE control of their classes. I love this school and they are great with kids and challenge them everyday.

Posted April 30, 2010
I am sorry that the parent that posted on the 28th feels that way. Have concerns been addressed to the teacher(s) or principal? Every teacher has control over their classroom and every teacher teaches character counts. We are a charter school. We are not restricted to certain curriculum. Our teachers have the freedom to teach what works for their students, even if that means not reading from a textbook and doing worksheets all the time. Teachers teach to their students' learnng style Not all students are alike. We just had Spring Fling where art work from every student was displayed in the cafeteria and it was so awesome!!!!! The kids loved it and the parents loved it!!!!

Hillcrest Academy 4

Posted April 30, 2010
As a parent of two students at Destiny I am blown away by the negative comments coming from parents. Most schools don't even have an art program for their students. Destiny is trying to start something special and it takes time instead of tearing down you should help build up. If you go into the multi-purpose room you will see plenty of art. I agree that the P.E. program has had problems but a recent letter home indicated that the school is making a change. I am very happy with Destiny.

Hillcrest Academy
3761 S. Power Rd., Mesa, AZ  85212
Last modified Hillcrest Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hillcrest Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 72 reviews. Top