Public charter
Mesa, AZ
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Destiny Community School has the best students, parents and staff. We are committed to providing a safe and secure learning environment. We know that it is difficult finding the right school for your child and there are many things that go into your decision. Our educational facility is warm and inviting to all students who wish to attend here. We focus on character education and provide small learning communities for our students. Thank you to all of our supporters you are the ones that make Destiny the best school in Arizona.
March 1, 2011

Posted January 24, 2015
HORRIBLE SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do not consider this school for your kids~! The board is the most terrible and want to be rich people!

Posted January 16, 2015
I highly advise any parent considering Hillcrest Academy Mesa campus to research the financial strength of this school and the integrity of the governing board. Hillcrest opened a campus in North Phoenix summer 2014, enrolling students K-12 although the school did not have the charter approved for grades K-4. A month later parents K-4 received a 1 day notice they had to leave the school bring enrollment down 50%. The board did not have a back-up financial plan to handle the financial loss and did not reach out to the families to ask for help (fundraisers, donations, tax credits, etc) nor did they make any major cuts (they maintained 3 buses at the school). Upon returning from Winter Break, parents, teachers and staff were informed by a former teacher that the Phoenix campus would be closing in Jan. The president attempted to close the campus as discreetly as possible; however, due to the efforts of parents/students a meeting took place to ensure the the board faced parents, students, teachers and staff. The president hid behind his baseball cap that he refused to remove during the meeting showing his lack of respect. The campus is closed and many students are heartbroken.

Posted January 16, 2015
Parents beware! I do not want to see any parent or student go through what we have gone through these past two weeks. The president of this school lacks integrity and honesty. The governing board managed to sink their Phoenix campus within 6 months. The principle, staff and teachers were amazing! The students quickly created a tightly knit community but due to mismanagement of the board, district office, executive committee this amazing campus was closed with little notice and now families are left heartbroken. The Mesa campus carries a huge amount of overhead for a school of only 118 students, I imagine this campus will soon face the same fate.

Posted January 11, 2015
The governing "school board" and "board members" are deceptive. They lack integrity, honesty, and accountability. Their priorities do not include the education or welfare of the children. Regardless of the talent and promise of faculty and staff at the school level, the very foundation is unstable, dishonest, and not concerned about what is in the best interest of the children.

Posted September 08, 2014
We transferred our kids to this school last year and I don't regret it at all. The class sizes are small and the teachers and staff are wonderful. I LOVE the tutor care program! It is so nice to pick my kids up and their homework is done! My kids are getting better grades and they're making good friends.

Posted April 17, 2014
Hillcrest staff and admin are awesome. They are committed to the traditional values and leadership instruction for all of their students - I have been impressed with their curriculum but their friendly faces and cheerful countenances are the most impressive.

Hillcrest Academy 4

Posted February 07, 2014
They have changed their name and the ownership. The class size is very small and they really seem to care about the kids. The curriculum is not advanced but it is above the public school standards. Even though my son could read and add the public school said he was not ready for kindergarten because he couldn't write his full name and didn't know how to sit criss cross (he had never gone to preschool). He was only 1 month shy of the age cut off. Hillcrest took him and worked with him on his fine muscle control. He holds a pencil correctly now and has all of the classroom etiquette he needs to go forward. Not every school has to be an advanced school. Some of these little individual attention charters are good to have in a community. Now that he has caught up in the area he was lacking he can move to a faster pace school but that wouldn't have been possible without the time and patience this school showed him.

Posted May 25, 2011
I love,love,love this school! they do a great job! My son was really having a hard time in school before Destiny.Now he has improved sooooo much.I am 4ever gratefull.

Posted September 01, 2010
My child has been at this school for three years now, and I can honestly say, the growth in community and leadership has grown. The music teacher is someone who has tremendously improved the music program is full of charisma and is an amazing leader. We're so blessed to be a part of this community . The teachers are helpful and have really stepped up within the last couple of years. Keep up the awesome work!

Posted June 27, 2010
I have two children at this school and we have been very pleased. The children are challenged academically but not stresssed out with tons of homework as many of their friends from other schools are. I love the small class size and caring teachers. They also offer some great after school clubs. Parents can be as active as they want with opportunities to volunteer in the classroom and PTSO and special events. Destiny has been a great choice for our family.

Hillcrest Academy
3761 S. Power Rd., Mesa, AZ  85212
Last modified Hillcrest Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hillcrest Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 76 reviews. Top