K-4|Private

Bad
Good

My children graduated many years ago, and all 4 attended Desert view for several years each. All 4 have attained advanced degress - a Ph.D, one M.D Ph.D., an LLB, and an MBA. All have attained success in their lines of work - one is a director of one of the largest investment institutions in the country, another is an endowed professor at age 38 at a major university; another won a national award for the best master's thesis in economics in 2013, and another went to West Point.. Desert View gave them a wonderful start for their education, that has carried through to their adult life. I have enrolled my grandchildren in Desert View when they come of age.

We are just beginning our 5th year at DVLC. In addition to a strong academic and arts grounding, this school gives the children the gift of a strong social grounding. So many schools ignore the social piece but that piece is truly priceless. DVLC attracts a special type of family, a very involved one which is willing to contribute to making the school a true community.

I have a child at DVLC, and for the most part we are very happy with the school. They offer so many things as part of the curriculum (dance, drama, PE, daily music, cooking, nature exploration) that other schools do not. The director and teachers are very accessible and open to communication. They truly care about and know each child individually, which is a great feeling as a parent. To what the other reviewer said, yes, this school is not for everyone. It is the sad reality of private schools with limited resources. You will not find the specialists and diversified approaches here that you would in a public or larger private school. They would need to raise tuition for everyone (tuition at DVLC is very reasonable relatively speaking) in order to accommodate children with a higher level of need. That said, I have found that they are able and willing to work with some learning differences (ADHD, learning disabilities), and show dedication and commitment to working with parents to strategize and implement interventions when needed. For most children, DVLC is a dream environment. We feel incredibly lucky to be a part of it.

Unless your child is "typical", don't waste your time! We went through the tour and it all seemed lovely and then we mentioned our child is on the spectrum and it got so quiet you could hear a pin drop. We expressed our interest and said we would hand in the paperwork. A few days later I got a call saying next years class is "full". I called back not letting them know who I was and sure enough there were spaces left. I tried talking to the principal who didn't call me back at first when I finally got hold of her I was told my child wouldn't fit in. I didn't realize when you're a private school it's ok to discriminate.

Last modified Desert View Learning Center is a Private school that serves grades K-4