Public charter
Paradise Valley, AZ

Montessori Academy 3

Posted June 03, 2015
As a previous reviewer mentioned the school is more concerned with who's who and keeping up with the Jones'. If you have money and the school benefits your safe and your child and family will receive the upmost respect. If not than be prepared to either suck it up or fight for your child but be prepared if you do teachers and staff will be rude to your child and the parents. I stayed because I listened to the promises that my child will thrive and grow and flourish when in reality the exact opposite happened. If you expect the middle school teachers to let you know how your child is doing think again. Whenever we would inquire how they were doing you get the answer of I don't know I don't have the grades in front of me. The only time they ever communicated with me was to tell me how terrible my child was and he didn't have something completed. Sorry but a teacher should be able to tell you if a student is doing well or failing not that difficult. I worked in a school and I could tell you on a daily basis exactly how each and every child was doing in my class there was 50+ students I kept track of. If you have younger kids and know who's who at the school you will have one of the great class rooms and teachers, be warned some middle school teachers have checked out and couldn't careless about the students and have checked out. Some need a refresher course on how to handle the ms student and it's not about being a dictator. We left last year due to the ms problems and know several families who have also left and current ones thinking of leaving. MA is suppose to be a free nonprofit charter school yet Im also not sure how they can justify the $1000 ECA fee considering I never saw any art projects and there was no music class for the ms. I could see the fee to help support those classes if they had a dedicated art and music staff but the times they had someone that person was also an assistant to other classrooms. I didn't even want to rate them as average but can't say bad because there are some teachers who are wonderful but those are the younger grades. The principle has missed the mark on hiring ms teachers they really should review that staff and not just keep them because they were a MA student at one time.

Posted April 17, 2015
My child has been at Montessori Academy for few years. Academically, my child has done very well. He is a very task oriented kid who loves finishes his contract. This school does provide some great opportunities--camping, field trips and yearly big trip. The campus has improved over the years my child has attended. The campus is nice. The kids love the the pool when the weather is warmer. The specials classes--art, music, P.E., etc-are not graded classes. Sometimes there is only 1 teacher in the class room with no assistant. The children become really unruly and disrespectful to the teacher and other students. This has not been observed in the regular class rooms. I really question educational benefit of these specials. The children do not have much accountability. The middle school kids behavior is crazy some days. They can rude and disrespectful. The girls' skirts are extremely short and continually tend to be a distraction. . It is an expensive public charter school. At times, the school does not provide enough notice and expects payments for ECA, Big Trip., etc. It can be a burden when not able to budget. This has been improving but worth a mention.

Posted June 03, 2014
I love working here. We are all like a family and treat our students like that as well. We love and help one another in any way possible. I wouldn't pick any place better to work or send my child.

Posted March 04, 2014
I just had to write a review because my experience has been so different to the last two reviewers. In regards to traffic and pick-up/drop-off, this is the best school we have been to (we've been to three). I absolutely love the campus with the trees, the shade, and the mountain view. The buildings are a bit old, and I do think that the bathrooms really need updating, but the campus is a really peaceful and beautiful place to be. In regards to the education, it seems a bit hit and miss. In contrast to the previous review, my child who struggles with attention, learning, and anxiety is thriving at this school, while my very bright, well-adjusted child is floundering. My kids LOVE going to school, and the school does all kinds of fun activities and events. I have never met a parent that I would describe as a snob in any way.

Montessori Academy 2

Posted February 12, 2014
It's interesting that there are really good and really bad reviews. My impression is that - if you have a child that's not an academic superstar, you're going to really struggle here. MA tends to spend most of their time with kids that are intellectually brilliant and way above-average. And if you have problems, or are not that child - then you will basically be ignored. My kids HATED school. Didn't want to go, couldn't do their homework - didn't understand their homework. I feel like MA decided to "keep up with the Jones" by having students do ridiculously challenging exercises. Things like asking a 4th grader to write a report on the evolution on the human jaw. Like, homework that you might expect a high school or college student to be working on. So, it can be frustrating having to spend hours and hours helping your child with homework, that they don't even understand, or have a basic concept of how to tackle. School should be fun, and kids should be learning stuff that's appropriately challenging for them, and interesting. Not just hard for hard's sake. MA needs to take a serious look at the kinds of things they're having kids do and figure out what is appropriate.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 31, 2013
My child attended through 8th grade and is now a successful high school student. Students who go through this program become the teens you WANT to spend time with. BUT, if you expect a school to raise your child FOR you, you're going to be disappointed. If you are an involved parent willing to read with your child regularly and practice spelling words and math tables (you know-- be an actual parent), and you are eager to be a partner in your child's education, then this is the school for you. What you trade by not having the newest buildings or the latest in technology, you more than gain in teachers who actually know your child, opportunities for individualized attention, and confident, independent, thoughtful young people who take responsibility for their own lives. Montessori requires kids be intellectually curious and self motivated. It requires parents support and back teachers when students inevitably test limits. If you believe your child can do no wrong, if he spends more time in front of a screen than playing or reading, or if you put more effort into excuses for why your child is struggling than they put into their schoolwork- than NO!! MA is not going to be a good fit.

Montessori Academy 1

Posted October 30, 2013
Arizona Montessori Academy is not a great school. My child stalled once she started 1st grade there. The rooms smell like mold I would not be surprised if there was lead paint on the walls The traffic is terrible Most of the parents are snobs The administration seems to be more interested in monte carlo night then teaching. I would suggest going somewhere else

Posted October 08, 2013
This school is constantly evolving! The communication was great...then they introduced a new monthly newsletter and weekly classroom update and more! They keep getting better and better. Love this school!

Posted September 23, 2013
I love how this school teaches students how to behave by being positive and noticing what the children do RIGHT! I've seen some students that worried me at first, but wow! They've really turned around quickly. It makes for great community.

Posted September 11, 2013
My two girls have been going to Montessori Academy for years and I found that they have grown tremendously through education and practical activities. I have also seen great improvement on their manners and respect. The Principal and teachers are amazing and Cant imagine taking my kids anywhere else

Montessori Academy
6050 N. Invergordon Rd, Paradise Valley, AZ  85253
Last modified Montessori Academy is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Montessori Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 75 reviews. Top