Paradise Valley, AZ

Posted May 14, 2015
In response to the previous post, my child tests 2 grades above her current grade level after experiencing the same curriculum. I don't believe my gifted child would have done as well in the current public school /charter environment that emphasizes drilling in content over allowing children to develop a solid understanding of concepts. The standard educational system and the emphasis on standardized testing as a yardstick is repeatedly showing us signs of failing children and teachers alike. An individual's acheivement depends on their efforts. That is also true of children and their academic acheivement. To be successful, teachers need the support of parents. Parents who undermine their child's educators at home can't expect results at school. Tesseract has a unique approach and curriculum. It isn't for every family. But for those it fits, it does work well. My child is living proof.

Posted May 08, 2015
What a disappointment. This is glorified daycare, and you have to pay $20,000 for it !!! The curriculum is a joke, my child was so behind even for public school admission as he received soft grading the whole time at Tesseract. As parents we thought he was doing well based on the narratives in his report cards. The school hides behind nice adjectives but there is nothing quantitative about it - forget about being prepared for standardized tests. I am so happy we are leaving, these money problems have simply exposed the naked truth - this school is a house of cards.

Posted April 30, 2015
The school has taken some very hard financial hits lately, unfortunate residue from the previous head of school and the previous board of trustees. We have a new head of school and a new board of trustees now. The school is coming together and the parents have really stepped up with donations and enrollment. We love this school and its educators. The educational experience at Tesseract for our child has been tremendous. Next year, may actually be one of our best years. As the parents, children, administration and teachers will be more united than ever and have a stronger sense of community, pride and ownership in our school. Sometimes, when you are at risk of losing something, you realize how much you value it and will fight to keep it going.

Posted April 18, 2015
Tesseract is on the verge of financial collapse. It has been horribly mismanaged, the level of money problems are suffocating and even if it should somehow finish the year it will be a much smaller more fragile version of what it used to be. The true energy, impact educators have been forced out and won't be returning. As a full paying parent I feel betrayed on so many levels. If you are planning to be a new parent or new student to this school, I encourage you to learn all the facts. What you are being fed is not likely to be any version of reality of the present or the future.

Posted April 14, 2015
In response to the previous post, I am a single parent with one child at Tesseract. I work 2 jobs, my sister helps with drop-off and pick-up. I also had my financial aid package cut. The reason the school needed to change the financial aid program was because they were being TOO generous and some parents were not paying the tuition they owed. The new administration is cleaning house and putting the school back on better financial footing. At first, I was upset too. Then, I spoke with my friends, family, neighbors and explained how much we LOVED the school and I needed their tax credit money. I have raised more money through tax credit donations than the school was giving us. Thank goodness we can do that in Arizona. This is a terrific school. My best wishes to you, but please don t say ugly comments about the school. It only hurts the kids and the teachers, who have nothing to do with the financial aid situation.

Posted April 05, 2015
At first I thought this school was a great organization and perfect match for my children, till the school blew out millions of $$ and then started to change their scholarship agreements. This school is anything but Non profit organization and does not care about the children they have in the school. And the education is more on the level of very expensive childcare as well. This is the worse school by far my children were ever in. Be aware and stay out of this rich club school that discriminate the less fortunate but hiding behind the non profit umbrella.

Posted February 13, 2015
Tesseract has been a wonderful fit for our child. We are in the lower school and my child loves school. The teachers have been very attentive to his particular learning style, very nurturing with a positive attitude and disposition. Mrs. O (director) is always available and answers our emails in 24 hours and addresses any concerns we have, as does his classroom teachers. They greet each child by name in the morning and set a lovely tone to the school day. The school thinks 'out of the box', is creative in its approach, a lot of engaging hands-on learning and stays current with new innovative teaching styles. We are working parents and have been welcomed into the parent community. In our previous school, the stay at home parents ran the show and were too involved (in my opinion) in the classroom, disrupting the teachers flow. Parents are welcome here with specific duties and involvement. The teachers have autonomy to do their job. I appreciate that. The school is small, intimate, friendly. My child gets all the 'specials', music, art, p.e., Spanish, library, morning meeting with public speaking, field trips and community citizenship. We are very pleased. Thanks Tesseract!

Posted January 17, 2015
Tesseract is by far the best school we have ever experienced. The teachers are the best in their field and care for each and every student. The early childhood program is one of only a few NAEYC accredited schools in the valley. This is a rigorous process & shows their dedication to the students. The lower school truly fosters a love of learning in each student. This school has been a blessing to our family.

Posted January 16, 2015
What a disappointment! Our child attended Tesseract for less than a full year in lower school. The extremely limited perspectives of site administration and the teachers was a challenge. We were told that Tesseract was not a "good fit for our family." What an elitist comment. According to staff, our child required extensive attention and took away time from other children. Ironically, our child is now excelling at Cherokee Elementary School, our home school. There are no behaviors, no negative comments and learning is occurring on an individualized level. We are also aware of other families that pulled their children out prior to the close of the school year. Some of the families were scholarship families. To think that we paid ($18,000) for the negative attention given to our child causes us great distress. If you live within the boundaries of Cherokee Elementary School, do not waste your money; send your child(ren) to Cherokee. Tesseract is not better; it is elitist and subpar.

Posted October 01, 2014
My child went here for less than a full year in Pre-K. We decided on removal after having repeated problems with the staff there. They brought in a "therapist" for testing, and diagnosed a sensory processing disorder. After taking our child to an offsite facility for a second opinion, their diagnosis came back, rather, as "gifted". After reading other reviews, it scares me to think that others believed the first few years here to be the best. When we left, my child quit wetting the bed again (this started up while attending here) within 2 weeks, and refers to Tesseract as "that scary school". After all the time spent there, my child didn't recognize numbers, or the alphabet. After less than 1 year at another school, s/he is sight reading, counting by 10's, 5's, etc, adding in the thousands, and writing full sentences. I am so glad that we made the choice we did. I just wish we had done it sooner. The one thing I wanted was to instill a love of learning in my child, and they did just the opposite.

Tesseract School