Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Wrestling with the decision of where to send my child to Kindergarten was quite daunting. Of course I did my due diligence and toured many schools, talked to many parents (ad nauseum) and flipped multiple coins.When initially visiting Cherokee, I was pleased to see smiling faces of the kids (unlike some schools) and was impressed when meeting with and talking to the teachers and the principal (who is incredible). We are halfway through Kindergarten and I am pleased to report that my initial impression was the right one. My son enjoys school, but is also sufficiently challenged. There is some "homework", but it is certainly not over-the-top (maybe 5-10 minutes, not every night). If you check Cherokee's test scores, they are some of the best in the state and the kids are not overly-taxed and are having fun. In my opinion, it is the best of all possible worlds. Rigorous, challenging, but the kids can still be kids.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Great teachers and community. It is no mistake that Cherokee recruits excellent staff and administration.

We LOVE Cherokee! When we think of the lack of funding for public education in our state, it is phenomenal that this community rises together for fiscal awareness. The PTA is amazing and supports the school and community. The overall demeanor and affect on the campus is calm, positive and inviting. The rigor is intact. AGAIN, until this state actually starts funding education, parents need not post negative comments. It is amazing how this school continues to harbor expectations, positivity and rigor with no public funding support. Most Cherokee parents can afford to send their kids to private school, but we don't. We choose Cherokee! Thank you, Cherokee!

What a great year so far. I have never experience such friendliness from a parent group or enthusiasm from a teacher. They want everyone involved and are not inclusionary at all! We're starting the PACT program so we'll see how that is, but I'm hopeful for a great year. It's our 4th year at Cherokee and we're sticking with it!

Not sure why this school is rated so high! We moved to AZ from Hawaii which supposedly has some of the worst schools, but I'm sorry, this school is NOT the best! The school my son was going to in Hawaii was FAR BETTER! Way more organized, he had homework each night, and he LOVED school! My son transferred into Cherokee in January, he was in 2nd grade, he said the only thing he liked about the school was lunch & recess! He always came home with a disorganized folder of half done school work, and no directions or homework from the teacher, it just seemed so disorganized and 'loosey-goosey' over there. My mother convinced me that Scottsdale school district was what I wanted, but I'm sorry, we're going to try Paradise valley for next year. If you live close to Cherokee and can't afford a private school, than Cherokee will be fine for your kids. But if there is another school that is closer to your home, send your kids to that one.

LOVE it! We've had kids here since 2008. Our 4th & 1st graders have had tremendous success after starts in the Early Learning program there and and are challenged appropriately and supported where they need extra help. Our 4th grader's math scores are almost off the charts on state testing and both kids are at or above their target goals in all other areas. Our 3rd child started in the Early Learning Center this year. She's not quite 2 yet, but is learning numbers, knows her animals and is learning colors too. Cherokee has a tremendous community of highly-credentialed teachers and staff. But hands down, the families make this school what it is! I highly recommend it- regardless of what your child's needs are. Cherokee has solid programs for every kid! Really come see it for yourself!! I think you'll be quite pleased.

I now have my 3rd child at Cherokee elementary. We could afford a private school or score into one of the top charter schools, but we have been really happy at Cherokee. Consistently Cherokee's scores beat out the other schools and the administration, teachers and parents create a great environment for learning. My kids have needed remedial assistance at times and have received advanced assistance too, now called enrichment. When my kids needed help with reading, there were reading aides provided by the APT. When my kids were excelling in math, there were special sections and aids to help the teachers funded by the APT. Cherokee continued to thrive despite the recent budget cuts, because the parent community is strong and supports the school both financially with aids, supplies, etc. and in the classroom with extra hands as needed by the staff and teachers. I really can't comment on others experience, but I wonder if they are at the same school, as I have had a child a this school for the past 8 years. The worst experience we ever had was with an "ok" teacher once. But the standard is so high at Cherokee, she probably would have been considered good at another school.

When I was looking to buy a new house in December of 2000, I happened to find one within the Cherokee boundaries. I didn't have any kids at the time, but I was told Cherokee was the top sought after elementary school to attend in Arizona. I kept that in mind when I finally had my first child and he was ready for elementary school. I've had a child at Cherokee every since Fall of 2006. That son has since graduated and moved onto Cocopah Middle School. I am still at Cherokee with my second son. I don't plan on leaving till he graduates. I have met some fabulous families throughout my years at Cherokee. My sons' best friends are classmates they met in kindergarten. Cherokee has an outstanding APT that makes everyone feel welcomed. New families are always greeted with open arms. It goes without saying the entire staff of Cherokee goes far and beyond their job to ensure every child succeeds. This proves why Cherokee is one of the top ranked schools in the State of Arizona.

We moved to this area based on the ratings this school got. I was truly disappointed in the academics. They are all behind based on a standard curriculum for the state. My child is bored and is not challenged. Begs for homework. The gifted program teaches what should be taught in the home room class. Not a fan of having a child stay in the classroom all day long either as opposed to going to a different class for subject. No gym class every day. For gym my child learned cup stacking! Yup cup stacking! Wow was my kid exhausted when he came home!!!! Lol! The teacher is great and wonderful with children. Very experienced. But for an academic standpoint I was not happy. Looking for an alternative next year. I also heard from other parents the teachers just don't care enough to give work.

Cherokee Elementary is a strong school with caring teachers and administrative staff. After reading some prior posts, I cannot help but provide some feedback to the negative comments. I am a very small member of the APT and sit on the APT Board. I believe that everyone has the responsibility to be supportive and positive for every parent and student! We all need it! All schools have their "social" issues and some parents who may act like they are still in "high school." I suggest ignore and be the positive parent who focuses on things that matter. If you don't like the APT and what they are doing, then make your voice heard! Offer a better solution and get in there and volunteer with a smile! Share your talent, your smile and enthusiasm for our school! Maybe some of those people who seem "grumpy" haven't had their coffee yet? Maybe they worked 25 hours the prior week on M&O voting campaigns, fundraising events, and also volunteered in their child's class and they are just simply exhausted. I do hope that more parents, not just the "repeat" parents who always show up, will become more involved and help in small are big ways. Any time is valuable and matters to our kids.

Last modified Cherokee Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.