Paradise Valley, AZ

Posted October 07, 2014
Cherokee Elementary is a strong school with caring teachers and administrative staff. After reading some prior posts, I cannot help but provide some feedback to the negative comments. I am a very small member of the APT and sit on the APT Board. I believe that everyone has the responsibility to be supportive and positive for every parent and student! We all need it! All schools have their "social" issues and some parents who may act like they are still in "high school." I suggest ignore and be the positive parent who focuses on things that matter. If you don't like the APT and what they are doing, then make your voice heard! Offer a better solution and get in there and volunteer with a smile! Share your talent, your smile and enthusiasm for our school! Maybe some of those people who seem "grumpy" haven't had their coffee yet? Maybe they worked 25 hours the prior week on M&O voting campaigns, fundraising events, and also volunteered in their child's class and they are just simply exhausted. I do hope that more parents, not just the "repeat" parents who always show up, will become more involved and help in small are big ways. Any time is valuable and matters to our kids.

Posted September 17, 2014
Cherokee is a fine school; no doubt in my mind. I also have written about how great a man our principal is. He has true humility and kindness for all. The teachers are tremendous. If I am to be honest, the Vice Principal is not great. The front desk, administrative staff are tremendous, giving, kind, and a very positive group. There are many women in this school (parents) who are really laughable. I think we are talking about cliques. Childish, petty, insecure women who are desperate for some type of power. We all know who they are. As previous posters said, they mostly pretenders. Big hat, no cattle to quote my grandfather. They want to be seen, and they are on monster ego trips, but in reality they are wannabes. I do not think this type of stereotypical APT mother only exists at Cherokee, but you will find it in must school systems. Typically, the very successful steer clear of the pettiness, and gossip, but it s always the pretenders who are belittling, and trying to assert power out of a deep rooted insecurity. We just ignore those types and focus on the nice parents (and there are many)

Posted September 16, 2014
I have already submitted a glowing review previously but after reading the last review I could not help posting some kind of response. While no one is perfect, the members of the Cherokee APT do not deserve any of those comments - they all work tirelessly, generously giving their time to help make Cherokee the #8 ranked school (according to schooldigger.com) in Arizona. With all their hard earned APT fundraising funds Cherokee is able to enjoy reading specialists, classroom aids, extra programs to make up for the early release Wednesdays and much, much more. I have never felt anything but welcomed and appreciated by all the members of the APT. My child's classroom has 26 kids, but with the reading specialist and parent volunteers there are at times only 20 kids in the classroom. While other SUSD schools may feel the squeze of large classroom sizes, Cherokee is unique with all the "extras" that more than make up for this. This truly is a special school, with teachers, staff, a principal and vice principal who give so much and care so much about your kids--- these are the most un-grumpiest people you could ever meet, they are positive, encouraging and communicative!

Cherokee Elementary School 3

Posted September 11, 2014
Principal Chantler does a fine job, and majority of teachers are very good. Recently there's been some turnover. Academically the school is great for AZ, which rank as some of lowest in the country anyway. I wish I could give an objective review about Cherokee academics but The reality is, it's full of queen bees, constant gossip and a competitive edge. Instead of growing out of exclusionary, catty behavior, these parents are still in High School. The PTA has several grumpy, self entitled, overachievers if you catch my drift. And the "NEW GUARD" is NO better, sorry! It doesn't stop with the PTA either. You might think you've successfully ditched cliques and bullying after high school? Narcissistic Mothers are bullies, and their sycophant husbands are bullies, and they bully us to control us, to subjugate us, to disempower us. Cherokee is school is FULL of oddball cliquish snobs who make every point to be unwelcoming, give unwarranted criticism, nit-pick, fault-find, exclude, and isolate. I try and avoid these people or communicate by email only. Unfortunately our students have to deal with them. The student/teacher ratio is not low as stated below. My child has 32 in class!!

Posted August 29, 2014
Agree with last poster. A lot of the old guard left last year, so many of the APT wannabes/pretenders are gone now. I love the ADMIN staff. Very nice people. The head Principal is truly great, not crazy about the Vice Principal... Big ego, always grumpy... Walt Chantler is a really nice guy, humble and sincere.. Very good leader.. This school is known for its academic superiority. Why someone would chose a charter school over this school is beyond me. Our boy loves his teachers and loves his school. I will say I am not crazy about short Wednesdays, but that is the Scottsdale school districts issue, but Cherokee s Over all, we are very fortunate to have our kids here.

Posted August 17, 2014
This school is incredible. We just moved from what is literally the top ranked school in our old state in the midwest...., and Cherokee might just be better. We have 3 kids here now and love it

Posted April 04, 2014
Cherokee not only has the kindest kids it also ranks #23 of all public/charter schools in Arizona. Cherokee focuses on differentiated learning with an emphasis on Reading, Math and Science. Cherokee has tremendous parental support and is able to provide many teaching assistants/specialists. This has resulted in most children getting special small group enrichment in core areas. In addition, a lower teacher/student ratio is achieved when others are at enrichment. Enrichment is provided for many levels. Beyond financial support there are many highly educated, talented parents that volunteer at the school. Most subjects are approached using multiple teaching methods to reinforce learning and keep interest levels high. Teachers/administration work hard to support learning both academically and emotionally. As a parent, I feel that my children are being highly motivated to achieve without feeling pressure of failure or burnout. Cherokee has struck the balance of fostering a love of learning with hard work and achievement. Children at Cherokee are high achievers that perform well above most schools in Arizona and nationally. Children at Cherokee are respectful, kind and happy.

Posted April 02, 2014
Cherokee Elementary is a wonderful school! We feel like we have given our child a private school education. Monna Schweers, the LRC teacher is beyond excellent. She is the best! This school is way ahead of the curve, and the expectations are high. Leadership is outstanding, Walt Chantler is a great Principal. All of the teachers that we have had are great. Can t say enough great things about Cherokee.

Posted April 01, 2014
From what I hear this is one if the best schools in paradise valley for the youngsters. My son is special and needs be to be comfortable and have his educational needs met a certain way. I will be sending him to this school the starting of this next school year. CAN'T WAIT!

Posted December 06, 2013
We finally found Cherokee after going to 2 other $$$ private schools for a few years. Ironically, my children were behind in math and reading when we joined Cherokee. They caught up within a month with teacher support and extra help. They are blossoming and loving their school. It is an amazing, diverse, caring environment and the parents are very involved but not in an annoying way. Everyone wants to volunteer for events, working in classroom centers and to help the school overall, especially due to budget cuts. We have had top and very creative teachers for our children and Walt and Paul (Principal & Asst. Principal) are the best we've seen. This school is a hidden gem in SUSD...so much so, maybe I should not tell people about it in order to keep it special. They do have open enrollment so our class sizes stayed small: 21 and 25! I just wish PV/Scottsdale residents would clue in that an excellent school system is a #1 draw for families and people moving to the area (resale, people!!!). So it is going to be interesting with the impending budget issues due to the override not passing. We love Cherokee and know our children will succeed in such a wonderful environment.

Cherokee Elementary School
8801 N. 56th Street, Paradise Valley, AZ  85253
Last modified Cherokee Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cherokee Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top