Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers tailor their teaching to the different levels and needs of their students!

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

There is homework every night that is relevant and reinforces what they are learning in school.

Cherokee is a great public school with exceptional teachers and leadership. The school can handle any type of child and help them grow. The teachers understand children learn in different ways and adapt to them. Instruction is differentiated from Kindergarten through 5th grade based on the children's needs helping every child grow! The Children repeatedly outperform their scores year after year due to the excellent instruction. We have had a great experience and recommend Cherokee to all

I feel this is a well run school, however, I would say that it depends on the teacher you get. I enrolled multiple children in this school thinking I had made a good decision. One of my children has a teacher whose program is disorganized, and I feel does not offer a rich 21st century program, just a bunch of worksheets without clear links to the curriculum. Assignments are all just independent do it at home stuff that frankly anyone without a degree in education could have thier kids do. She has not assessed one assignment with clear rubrics that my child knew about in advance. How can someone be successful without clear expectations and then substantial feedback, and then opportunity to put that feedback into practise. Very little communication to me about progress. I feel I have had to try to get the information out of her. Do not drop your kids off assuming that what is happening behind closed doors is great education. My other child does happen to have a good teacher who is friendly, seems to genuinely Enjoy teaching my child and runs a sound math and language program with very clear communication about what common core will be covered each month via the monthly newsletter. Principal Chandler needs to check that all his teachers are offering the same quality of education in thier classes.

Wrestling with the decision of where to send my child to Kindergarten was quite daunting. Of course I did my due diligence and toured many schools, talked to many parents (ad nauseum) and flipped multiple coins.When initially visiting Cherokee, I was pleased to see smiling faces of the kids (unlike some schools) and was impressed when meeting with and talking to the teachers and the principal (who is incredible). We are halfway through Kindergarten and I am pleased to report that my initial impression was the right one. My son enjoys school, but is also sufficiently challenged. There is some "homework", but it is certainly not over-the-top (maybe 5-10 minutes, not every night). If you check Cherokee's test scores, they are some of the best in the state and the kids are not overly-taxed and are having fun. In my opinion, it is the best of all possible worlds. Rigorous, challenging, but the kids can still be kids.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Great teachers and community. It is no mistake that Cherokee recruits excellent staff and administration.

We LOVE Cherokee! When we think of the lack of funding for public education in our state, it is phenomenal that this community rises together for fiscal awareness. The PTA is amazing and supports the school and community. The overall demeanor and affect on the campus is calm, positive and inviting. The rigor is intact. AGAIN, until this state actually starts funding education, parents need not post negative comments. It is amazing how this school continues to harbor expectations, positivity and rigor with no public funding support. Most Cherokee parents can afford to send their kids to private school, but we don't. We choose Cherokee! Thank you, Cherokee!

What a great year so far. I have never experience such friendliness from a parent group or enthusiasm from a teacher. They want everyone involved and are not inclusionary at all! We're starting the PACT program so we'll see how that is, but I'm hopeful for a great year. It's our 4th year at Cherokee and we're sticking with it!

Not sure why this school is rated so high! We moved to AZ from Hawaii which supposedly has some of the worst schools, but I'm sorry, this school is NOT the best! The school my son was going to in Hawaii was FAR BETTER! Way more organized, he had homework each night, and he LOVED school! My son transferred into Cherokee in January, he was in 2nd grade, he said the only thing he liked about the school was lunch & recess! He always came home with a disorganized folder of half done school work, and no directions or homework from the teacher, it just seemed so disorganized and 'loosey-goosey' over there. My mother convinced me that Scottsdale school district was what I wanted, but I'm sorry, we're going to try Paradise valley for next year. If you live close to Cherokee and can't afford a private school, than Cherokee will be fine for your kids. But if there is another school that is closer to your home, send your kids to that one.

LOVE it! We've had kids here since 2008. Our 4th & 1st graders have had tremendous success after starts in the Early Learning program there and and are challenged appropriately and supported where they need extra help. Our 4th grader's math scores are almost off the charts on state testing and both kids are at or above their target goals in all other areas. Our 3rd child started in the Early Learning Center this year. She's not quite 2 yet, but is learning numbers, knows her animals and is learning colors too. Cherokee has a tremendous community of highly-credentialed teachers and staff. But hands down, the families make this school what it is! I highly recommend it- regardless of what your child's needs are. Cherokee has solid programs for every kid! Really come see it for yourself!! I think you'll be quite pleased.

Last modified Cherokee Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.