Paradise Valley, AZ

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 07, 2015
I think some may feel rigor and vigor are one in the same. This school seems to strike a balance between challenging students and making sure they are learning the curriculum opposed to burying them in busy work and squashing the joy to learn.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 07, 2015
At Kiva Elementary school, honesty, integrity, fairness and kindness are continually encouraged and supported. The school rewards students making good choices and makes a point to model good choices and explain why these are so important.

Posted July 07, 2015
Our family's experience at Kiva has been outstanding. Every teacher my sons have had has been experienced and worked tirelessly to both engage them in learning and inspire them to do their personal best. All the while, the teachers keep the joy in learning. Our kids have thrived in a nurturing, academic environment where teachers meet each student where they are at, and find the best approaches to help each student excell. Students participate in computer lab, as well as utilize mobile laptop labs in classrooms. The kids participate annually in an art project that combines art education with a kindness project. There are engaging afterschool programs both athletic and academic - such as sportball, robotics and rubik's cube club. All of the teachers we've had have extensive experience as grade school teachers and are board certified (including several award-winning teachers). The library has a vast array of books for all levels of readers, with a knowledgeable staff that works tirelessly to find books to fit each child's interests and reading ability. The school has an accelerated reader program which encourages and rewards readership across all grade levels. The school promotes kindness and academics and has a strong sense of community and support. We have seen great results with our kids during the six years we have been at Kiva.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Kiva Elementary School 1

Posted November 03, 2014
We have been struggling for the past year on whether to stay or leave Kiva. On the one hand you have a "few" teachers that are exceptional but on the other hand you have plenty who are not. The PTO guards everything so if you ask a question you really are given the run around. Not sure I will ever donate again. The PTO President doesn't seem to care about the parents and each year it's getting worse. The office staff are rude and can typically be found playing candy crush on their phones. The nurse is clueless when it comes to treating special needs. The PE teacher plays favorites. The library if you can call it that is a circus most days. The PTO events are always late and no one seems to know what's going on. Overall not a good school and certainly not one I'm bringing my daughter back to next year!

Kiva Elementary School 3

Posted October 29, 2014
We have two girls that went to Kiva and while we loved the teachers, we cannot say we would do it again. After graduation from Kiva and experiencing one year of the low quality of Mohave we took our oldest to a Great Hearts academy and brought the youngest there as well. While Kiva is a good school we are astonished at quality of education at Great Hearts. Kiva, unlike Mohave, has good teachers but they are overloaded and underpaid. They just look like the walking wounded. Now both of our girls are learning a foreign language, music, athletics, ancient history... It is like a light was turned on. The whole mood of our home has been elevated. While Kiva is a good school and doing its best there are indeed better alternatives. Take them if you can...

Kiva Elementary School 4

Posted August 01, 2014
My daughter is going into 2nd grade this year. She has been at no other school since kindergarten so its a challenge to say there is a "better" school without the experience. Thus, I went with 4 stars instead of 5. I know there are a few parents who are moving their children to the Great Hearts Academy this year. I have been happy with Kiva. I think the teachers are great! Hey, my daughter is reading and doing math. She is stimulated, inquistive and loves science. She is socializing and having lots of fun. She loves school! The kids all cried when they said goodbye (for the summer) to their 1st grade teacher. This reassures me that Kiva is the place for my girl!

Posted March 07, 2014
Our experience at Kiva has been terrific. Our daughter has a great teacher and loves the other kids in her class and in the school in general. She's learning as she would be at any good school. We've never had any problems whatsoever with communication. The principal is very engaged, always upbeat and has a great sense of humor. The secretary's in the office are even wonderful. Parent involvement is very high. What more do you want?

Kiva Elementary School 3

Posted November 24, 2012
Our two daughters attended Kiva after being at an exceptional elementary school in another state. Living in a town like Paradise Valley, I was thinking the elementary school would reflect its surroundings. What a disappointment. The school facilities are dated and dingy. The office staff, except for its Principal, are incredibly rude and act like it is an imposition to help you when you come in. Especially the blonde at the front, Candy. The worst. She has no business being the face of an elementary school. The teachers were OK, but we were alarmed to find during our parent/teacher conference with a third grade teacher that she did not realize what the kids were being sent home for homework after we asked a question about it, turning to the student teacher and saying, "oh, did we not cover that in class?" Yikes! That was the beginning of the end for us. And for many I am afraid as so many of the students now come from outside PV/Scottsdale. No community feel. Sorry to have to write this. Updating the school facilities should be their first step to turning this problem around.

Posted March 24, 2012
Scottsdale school district has many great schools from which to choose. As a concerned parent I took my time and chose Kiva, largely because I had heard that it had a strong parent/teacher community spirit. After four years at Kiva I can say that it truly does try to practice the values for which it stands. Bullying is not tolerated and as such, I appreciate the fact tthat the school takes a preventative approach to a problem that can arise in any school. From the Principal, to the dedicated teachers and strong parent volunteer group, I feel that there is a team approach to educating my two children. I can only speak for myself when I say that my children come home happy each day, and performing well academically. It is unfortunate that one reviewer had a negative experience with a Kiva parent, and I do understand how one experience can taint an overall impression. However, I wrote this reivew because I feel passionately about our school and the care/education it provides our children.

6911 East McDonald Drive, Paradise Valley, AZ  85253
Last modified Kiva Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kiva Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top