Bad
Good

I love the Be Kind program that teaches core values for the students and is promoted and modeled by the teachers. My son has attended the last two years and has excelled in both, giving him a sense of pride and accomplishment. I am amazed at what is being taught.

Amount of homework: Disagree

There isn't homework given out. Most of the time the teachers let the kids do the homework in class while the teacher surfs social media.

Develops character: Disagree

There is no fairness or integrity developed here. It's who you know, how much you donate and whether you compliment them all the time.

One has to be careful where you post reviews about Kiva as they have a network of bullies that seek out the poor reviews and harass the parents into either taking them down or using the PTO to do a smear campaign against the poster. This school is run by $$$ if you have it and donate it then you are in the "in" group where you get all the best teachers, your child won't be disciplined (even if they are a bully), and the school promotes so much negativity. This school needs an overhaul starting from the top down. There are far better schools out there and you don't have to worry about how much money you donate.

I attended Kiva ES from kindergarten through fifth grade. I began to be bullied there in first grade, and it only got worse every successive year. By the fifth grade, I went home crying almost every day. The entire grade, it seemed, was against me, constantly teasing and taunting. With the exception of a very sweet teacher I had in third grade, none of the teachers or other faculty members seemed to care. Maybe they didn't want to discipline the rich brats...my fifth grade teacher even clearly favored my worst bullies, and was buddy-buddy with some of the meanest girls' moms. I switched schools for sixth grade because I couldn't handle going to Kiva anymore. Although I have since graduated Phi Beta Kappa from college, I am nevertheless depressed and very insecure, no doubt in large part due to the traumatic bullying I endured for years at Kiva. I would never wish this upon any child. Please don't send your kids here. Best of luck.

Amount of homework: Agree

I think some may feel rigor and vigor are one in the same. This school seems to strike a balance between challenging students and making sure they are learning the curriculum opposed to burying them in busy work and squashing the joy to learn.

Develops character: Strongly agree

At Kiva Elementary school, honesty, integrity, fairness and kindness are continually encouraged and supported. The school rewards students making good choices and makes a point to model good choices and explain why these are so important.

Our family's experience at Kiva has been outstanding. Every teacher my sons have had has been experienced and worked tirelessly to both engage them in learning and inspire them to do their personal best. All the while, the teachers keep the joy in learning. Our kids have thrived in a nurturing, academic environment where teachers meet each student where they are at, and find the best approaches to help each student excell. Students participate in computer lab, as well as utilize mobile laptop labs in classrooms. The kids participate annually in an art project that combines art education with a kindness project. There are engaging afterschool programs both athletic and academic - such as sportball, robotics and rubik's cube club. All of the teachers we've had have extensive experience as grade school teachers and are board certified (including several award-winning teachers). The library has a vast array of books for all levels of readers, with a knowledgeable staff that works tirelessly to find books to fit each child's interests and reading ability. The school has an accelerated reader program which encourages and rewards readership across all grade levels. The school promotes kindness and academics and has a strong sense of community and support. We have seen great results with our kids during the six years we have been at Kiva.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We have been struggling for the past year on whether to stay or leave Kiva. On the one hand you have a "few" teachers that are exceptional but on the other hand you have plenty who are not. The PTO guards everything so if you ask a question you really are given the run around. Not sure I will ever donate again. The PTO President doesn't seem to care about the parents and each year it's getting worse. The office staff are rude and can typically be found playing candy crush on their phones. The nurse is clueless when it comes to treating special needs. The PE teacher plays favorites. The library if you can call it that is a circus most days. The PTO events are always late and no one seems to know what's going on. Overall not a good school and certainly not one I'm bringing my daughter back to next year!

Last modified Kiva Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.