Oakwood Elementary School

Public | K-8

Posted June 23, 2014

Another year has come and gone! I have lived through administrators changing, grade level teachers leaving or changing and everything else that goes on at a public school! Oakwood never seizes to amaze me in how they handle the stress of change! They don't miss a beat! Mr. Duguid and Mrs. Bagwell lead with love and understanding! They connect with the teachers, students and the parents ! I know this is not common at other schools ! I am so greatful every time they renew my children's variances ! We couldn't have picked a better student oriented place than Oakwood! We are blessed!

Posted February 9, 2014

Although I am not as involved as I wish I could be, I find the access that is online to be great! It is nice to be able to help my grand daughter when she is here with her homework by using the homework help ability! really good idea!

Posted February 8, 2014

The Learning Disabilities Teacher only views Learning Disabilities Children as General Disabilities Children. I give credit to the regular teachers at this school in helping my Son. This teacher only teaches at the level the Child is learning. When a Learning Disabilities Child is separated from the rest of His or Her regular class, that Child is not encouraged to learn. As a parent, I see this a form of separation from the main stream of the school society. Is this system of separation still allowed in our educational system in the United States today? I do not know if this is the Peoria Unified School District's system's policy or the Learning Disabilities Teacher's method practice or the school's policy. My Son is not perfect. There has to be something done to help him and other Learning Disability Students in this District.

Posted August 1, 2013

Standout staff, involved parents and great study body with increasing diversity. Couldn't ask for more in an elementary school!

Posted August 29, 2012

So far, so good. Our son started 2nd grade here last year. We live two miles away and other schools are closer. We chose this one, based on performance, when we moved to the area and we have not been disappointed. We have daily email communication with the teacher (just like last year) and the parent involvement is what helps the school be a success. Its about the people that are Oakwood. And we have nothing but good things to say, even after Principal Bower was promoted to High School. The systems are proven, if the parents stay involved too.

Posted April 29, 2012

After 4 children graduating from this school with great success, sadly we will be taking our last two out and looking for another school next year. They have lost my trust this year . The communication has been horrible and when brought to the principals attention, we were left in the dark. We went over half the year without a report card for my daughter and her iep had to increase with time for next year as she actuarially lost reading skills from the year before. We are very disappointed with our daughters education this year and feel she has lost a year because of the staff at Oakwood.

Posted September 13, 2011

Read the unhappy post, shocked as well, dont move to Texas,Spring area and other schools are horrid!!!! My kids loved Oakwood never had a problem there have, always compared other schools to this one and none came close to being a wonderful school. We want to move back just so my kids can go to Oakwood. Crazy, I am totally surprised about those comments, hope to God they can fix things, we so depend on our schools and loving teachers and staff, that have always been at Oakwood. Our family misses everyone at Oakwood, thankyou for giving my children some wonderful memories, they always say, they wish we could move back to AZ,they miss school there!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted August 28, 2011

I absolutely love this school. We are on a variance like alot of the students who go here. We are happy to drive to get such a great education. I read the comment posted last week and I think how anybody could feel this way about this school is unbelievable. . My children have wonderful friends, teachers and Mr. Bower is the BEST. We love it at Oakwood! It is truly an A+ Excelling School!

Posted August 25, 2011

Wow! I was very excited that we lived in the neighborhood of a school that was rated a "9". Unfortunately, I haven't seen any of this. My daughter started half-day kindergarten. They only had one option for a teacher. She doesn't communicate with the parents AT ALL! After two weeks, the only thing my child learned was different ways that a teacher tells a kid to shut up. She made them sit on the hot pavement while she walked the kids to their cars. Classroom was way across campus from the other kindergarten classrooms. Talked to Principal Bower about kid not liking her teacher and he GOT IN HER FACE AND CALLED HER MANIPULATIVE! TO A 5 YEAR OLD! VERY DISAPPOINTED! LOOKING FOR NEW SCHOOL ASAP!

Posted January 17, 2011

Still a great school! I look back over all the past comments and Oakwood has been consistent to this day. I have 2 boys that attend Oakwood. One is in second grade and the other in kindergarten (Ms. Penny's Class). My son absolutely loves Miss Penny as do I. I cannot say enough good things about the school. We may have to move soon and pray that I can find a school that gives us what Oakwood has given my boys! The Best!

Posted May 20, 2010

They have great leadership skills and encourage students from worst behavior to the best. They really know how to individualize there students levels of learning and work with every single one of the children. I had an opportunity to volunteer at this school and loved dealing with other parents, principles, office staff and other great teachers. It was an excellent experience and I would volunteer if I could again for this school.

Posted April 27, 2010

Truly a wonderful school. I have two children who attend Oakwood and love it! I am so thankful for their teachers, The teachers here go above and beyond. Sports programs are outstanding! My kids love their special area classes and teachers too, They make learning fun. I can't say enough about this school. Great community ! Mr. Bower is amazing!

Posted September 18, 2009

Oakwood has the BEST teachers, parents and students that work hard to make Oakwood excell! Excelllent environment for learning!

Posted September 17, 2009

Good communication with teachers and parents and the constant striving to make my kids a success

Posted September 11, 2009

This is a good school. It has all the elements you would want your child exposed to. We currently have two children enrolled in Oakwook and plan to have our three youngest there as well when they get older.

Posted May 27, 2009

The 6th grade teachers are incredible! They are dedicated and commited to the kids. They are insightful and understand that not all kids are the same. They use the childs individuality to help them reach goals that they themselves didn't think were possible. The front office staff is personable and efficient. The Asst. Principle is friendly, warm and understanding. My son will be back next year. Thank you.

Posted April 24, 2009

I've attended Oakwood since Kindergarten and I am now currently in the 8th grade. I love Oakwood, and it's a great school. The teachers, students, and staff are wonderful. I've gotten a great education from attending Oakwood Elementary. This is an excellent schoool and I highly recommend it.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 17, 2009

I am very pleased with what I see at my children's school. The teachers are very supportive and the administration is very visible, in fact I have witnessed the assistant principal playing with the kids on the playground. What a great way to show your commitment and build a better sense of community. My children are happy and excelling in their academics as well as their personal character. Oakwood is a great place to be!

Posted March 17, 2009

I have so many wonderful things to say about Oakwood's teachers, administration and staff. Both my daughter and son are receiving an outstanding education and love to go to school. As for the parents that complained about the assistant principal, she is wonderful and my kids love her!

Posted March 16, 2009

I am a proud parent of two children who attend Oakwood and I am happy to report that I am constantly reminded of the love and care that is put into the students who attend this school. The teachers are willing to go above and beyond the call of duty.....whatever it takes. The administration is very thorough and so supportive of the community. The principal makes it a point to know each student by name and the assistant is always ready with a smile or a high five, she brings great enthusiasm to Oakwood. Their caring personalities and commitment to their students makes Oakwood a great place to be.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 19%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Gym

Fax number
  • (623) 412-4734

• Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator