School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I became the proud Principal at Sky View in August of 2013. Sky View has shown strong improvements this year with student achievement. Our focus for the 2014-2015 school year is on mathematics. All our professional developments and staff meetings will have a math focus. Sky View has a strong staff this year and we are anticipating a great year. For the past 8 years Sky View has housed an Autism program but the program became too large for Sky View and has been moved to two neighboring schools starting in August of 2014. We are looking forward to a great year for students and their achievement. Go Skyhawks!!
June 05, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I have had four kids that have been in this school and my oldest went off to graduate high school with honors, my next child dropped out of school, my third is now currently in high school and asked to join the honors classes, and my final child is currently attending. I have never had any issues or problems that the principal, or the appropriate parties, when we got together could not solve in a fair and responsible manner. Props for helping to make my children successful, productive members of society.

I have two children who have both attended Sky View since kindergarten and are now in 6th and 3rd grades. We find Sky View to be a place where amazing things are happening everyday, things that are not merely reflected by test scores. In addition to their education, children at Sky View are learning to be leaders and responsible citizens in every aspect of life. Sky View has a staff of highly educated and highly dedicated teachers who truly care about my children and their education. The administration works tirelessly to foster a safe and effective environment for my children's education. They have worked hard to make every resource available for students who need "extra help". When we walk on campus we do not feel like we are merely entering an institution of learning, but rather a community. Although we ended up at Sky View because of demographic reasons, we could not imagine our children attending any other school!

Perfect school. Perfect teachers. Perfect staff. Love the way the teachers work with the kids.

The teachers and staff really make this school a positive,healthy and safe learning environment for the kids. The principal Ms. Harper is extremely dedicated and hard working and has made many improvements in the time she has been at Sky View. There are many school events and you can really feel the sense of community here. Go Sky Hawks!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I found the teachers at this school to be highly effective. The mix of fun and learning is key and they really know how to motivate the students in a positive way. My daughter has been attending this school for 5 years and we look foward to the few years she has keft here with these wonderful teachers.

I am a seasoned teacher and it is my first year at Sky View. I am extremely impressed with the strong leadership, teacher/staff dedication, and student excitement found on campus. There are great things happening at this school!

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted June 05, 2014

This school gave me a lot of laughs when I attended school here for two years. I liked the teachers I had my 8th Grade year. My 7th Grade year, The Special Ed. Teacher I had was not very pleasant. All The Mainstream Teachers I had were real good. Especially Mr. George. He was funny. The Plant Foreman we had during my two years there, Mr. Bigelow was very friendly. Put up the flags everyday and took notes them down everyday. Always used two hailyards. The American and Arizona flags on one hailyard and The D.A.R.E. Flag on the other hailyard. Yes they did fly a D.A.R.E. Flag as well in honor of The D.A.R.E. Program. Mr. Bigelow was was always putting the flags on his arm when taking them down and carrying them in the back way through the office. Putting the flags up and taking them down, he always did The American and Arizona flags first and The D.A.R.E. Flag second. Other than that, great Graduation Ceremony. I miss those days. I wish I can go back.

I know the review here are not so good, but we had to transfer to AZ from SD and did not have a permanent address yet. But since my husbands job was in the Peoria area, we looked at schools in that area. We were excepted by Sky View and they have been so welcoming to my boys. They are very happy with this school and love going here. Both my son's excelled in SD, and they are doing the same here. They have great support system and great teachers. Thankful to Sky View for taking us in.

I am concerned about the Jr high math teacher's ability to instruct his students. My student is in the 7th grade (and is special needs). The last 2 math tests that were given to my student s class have resulted in only 4 students passing the test. The remainder of the students failed. Instead of taking some of the responsibility, the teacher solely blames the students. He then makes matters worse by telling them that since they are failing his class they will be held back next year. The majority of the student's grade is based on their test scores. This teacher does not grade the student's daily math assignments. He told me he does not have time to grade that many papers. Several of my child's friends have told me they have this teacher after his Prep time and on a regular basis, they wake him up when they enter the classroom. I didn't realize prep time was break time for teachers I thought it was time set aside for teacher to prepare their lesson plans or to grade papers?

Last modified Sky View Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.