School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

I became the proud Principal at Sky View in August of 2013. Sky View has shown strong improvements this year with student achievement. Our focus for the 2014-2015 school year is on mathematics. All our professional developments and staff meetings will have a math focus. Sky View has a strong staff this year and we are anticipating a great year. For the past 8 years Sky View has housed an Autism program but the program became too large for Sky View and has been moved to two neighboring schools starting in August of 2014. We are looking forward to a great year for students and their achievement. Go Skyhawks!!
June 5, 2014

Posted August 08, 2014
I am a seasoned teacher and it is my first year at Sky View. I am extremely impressed with the strong leadership, teacher/staff dedication, and student excitement found on campus. There are great things happening at this school!

Posted April 14, 2014
This school gave me a lot of laughs when I attended school here for two years. I liked the teachers I had my 8th Grade year. My 7th Grade year, The Special Ed. Teacher I had was not very pleasant. All The Mainstream Teachers I had were real good. Especially Mr. George. He was funny. The Plant Foreman we had during my two years there, Mr. Bigelow was very friendly. Put up the flags everyday and took notes them down everyday. Always used two hailyards. The American and Arizona flags on one hailyard and The D.A.R.E. Flag on the other hailyard. Yes they did fly a D.A.R.E. Flag as well in honor of The D.A.R.E. Program. Mr. Bigelow was was always putting the flags on his arm when taking them down and carrying them in the back way through the office. Putting the flags up and taking them down, he always did The American and Arizona flags first and The D.A.R.E. Flag second. Other than that, great Graduation Ceremony. I miss those days. I wish I can go back.

Posted October 30, 2013
I know the review here are not so good, but we had to transfer to AZ from SD and did not have a permanent address yet. But since my husbands job was in the Peoria area, we looked at schools in that area. We were excepted by Sky View and they have been so welcoming to my boys. They are very happy with this school and love going here. Both my son's excelled in SD, and they are doing the same here. They have great support system and great teachers. Thankful to Sky View for taking us in.

Sky View Elementary School 2

Posted December 07, 2012
I am concerned about the Jr high math teacher's ability to instruct his students. My student is in the 7th grade (and is special needs). The last 2 math tests that were given to my student s class have resulted in only 4 students passing the test. The remainder of the students failed. Instead of taking some of the responsibility, the teacher solely blames the students. He then makes matters worse by telling them that since they are failing his class they will be held back next year. The majority of the student's grade is based on their test scores. This teacher does not grade the student's daily math assignments. He told me he does not have time to grade that many papers. Several of my child's friends have told me they have this teacher after his Prep time and on a regular basis, they wake him up when they enter the classroom. I didn't realize prep time was break time for teachers I thought it was time set aside for teacher to prepare their lesson plans or to grade papers?

Posted May 24, 2012
I am going to be going into seventh grade next year. we just moved here. Would you recommend this school to me? I hear they're alot of kids in the neighborhood. Which is great for me! Thanks for reading! My rating is based on the reviews i have read.

Posted May 22, 2012
Could you imagine a teacher/school/principal punishing a student who cannot read? Expecting the illiterate student to read successfully a novel, and then at the end of the day, when they just couldn't tell you what the story was about, punishing that student for not reading? The staff repeatedly ignores suggestions of the developmental pediatrician stating that "this is the only way they will learn how to behave and think twice before doing it again." These students do not process information and/or events the way that most students do. Instead of getting the root of why a student in this special setting maybe upset or "acting up" and making "teachable moments" in these situations, the staff "punish" the students and send them to isolation. How are these children supposed to work on learning the skills they lack compared to their "normal" counterparts, if they are forced into isolation? I am sickened and appauled at the way these special little children are being treated. I have been an educator for 10 years, and never have I seen such blatent attempts at damaging impressionable little minds.

Sky View Elementary School 4

Posted May 03, 2012
My son is on the cusp of finishing his first year at Sky View. He has gone to many schools and has had extreme difficulties with authority figures. When the school year started, my stomach was in knots. I had no idea what issues were going to take place. In the past, my days revolved around phone calls and meetings from the school. Since August, I have had only one phone call and no meetings. My son understands the authority that adults have in this school. His grade point average has fluctuated from a 2.7 to a 3.4 this school year. I hate admitting this; before he came to Sky View, the words to describe my son were functional illiterate . Today he looks forward to going to school. He has made many friends and shows genuine concern when his teacher is out sick. I read in another post that the principle Mrs. Leafier does not take the time to care for the children. I hold this to be 100% untrue. This woman is at nearly every single school event. I have even had the opportunity to witness her ill and still manage to support the student body. She strives to get things and has taken a firm approach, that in which many may be opposed.

Posted December 07, 2011
I'm completely disappointed with how my concerns were handled by Mr Laureano He wanted nothing 2do with my legit complaints in regards to my brothers academic deficiencies. He failed to accept responsibility 4this student(possibly more)lack of knowledge to read & write. His answer was I've only been his teacher for 1 1/2 years TELL ME WHY Mr. LAUREANO PASSED him onto the 8th grade! When i asked what he was going 2 do2 improve my brothers acedemic skills he proceeded2 explain the "STEP PROGRAM" which isolates students. He only wanted 2 state my brothers conduct which is in direct relation 2 frustration of not being able 2read or write. Mr. LAUREANO kept saying "I give him the work, and he does not do it" how can he do work w/o the teaching of basic skills of READING and WRITING. Mr. L felt cornered&offended by being exposed 2the facts& failure of not only himself but the implemented programs&the school as a whole. He said i was insulting him! Again only by me stating facts that my brother is being pushed through grades illiterate&frustrated with signs of misconducts attributable2 his frustration4 the lack of comprehension& diminished academic position. he simply hung up!!!!!!

Posted October 31, 2011
This school has been a complete disappointment. My son was been bullied for two (2) years, and my duaghter has been bullied, also. The principal is lackadaisical in her approach of managing the campus. The only consistent example of her consistant best effort is her ability to ensure the success of her self-serving agenda. For example, her memory on behalf of a bullied child fails when it matters most. Her neck, causing her to look the other way in critical situations, never fails.

Posted May 16, 2011
I am a 7th grader who attended the school year of 2010/2011 at Sky View elementary school. Based on my experiences as a student i would say this school needs much work in various areas. The principle Mrs. Leafier and co principle Mrs. choceran were not very proactive and trustworthy in counseling kids who have done wrong to others(A.K.A bulling), they undermine staff and do not take them seriously which causes the teachers stress, which causes student stress.Some 7/8 graders are very rude and bullies to other students,and are very rude to teachers as are teachers to students. I would not recommend this school to anybody who wants a good future, education, and good social skills.

Sky View Elementary School
8624 W Sweetwater Ave., Peoria, AZ  85381
Last modified Sky View Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sky View Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top