Sun Valley Elementary School

Public | PK-8 | 919 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 18, 2014

Excellent teachers. My son had Mrs. Riley for kindergarten academy and she is my daughter's teacher as well; she has always communicated well with us and really cares about student success. This review is to discuss downsides that are really district issues: 1. Class sizes is much too large in the lower grades. With the new core standards and emphasis on students passing AIMS in 3rd grade, the K-3 curriculum is quite challenging, plus teachers are expected to modify the curriculum for individual students. This is extremely difficult when you have 27 students in a kindergarten class. Parents pay for full-day kindergarten in Peoria--class size either needs to be smaller or the teachers need aides. 2. Unfortunately, I had to move my son last year to the only school in the district near my work that has a gifted program, as Peoria did away with PI. He is happy at Heritage Elementary (and his class size is smaller) but because the school is in Glendale the district doesn't offer before after/school care there. Peoria, please focus funds where they belong: teachers' salaries, lowering class size, and bringing back special programs.

Posted February 27, 2014

This school is awesome! This is our sons third year and I couldn t be happier. His academic needs are being met by Mrs. Jones and Mrs. Brown daily. (Thank you) Jamie the P.T.S.O. President is outstanding, thank you for all your hard work. Parents are not aware of the tiresome hours those teachers put in daily. Many of those teachers have donated money to cover the loss of a parent or siblings. Each year many of those teachers buy gifts for students during Christmas time. I have seen them pull together when a house burnt down. Yeah, you don t hear about the positive stuff right? Let s not focus on the negative when so much is being done for those children daily. Teachers thank you for all you do!

Posted June 1, 2013

There are some really great teachers at this school who integrate the arts and science into lesson plans. Ms. Simons is AWESOME for 2nd grade!! Overall, I am disappointed in the administration for their lack of interest, enthusiasm or support for teachers. There was a student who bullied and threatened other students repeatedly all year long as well as threatening to hurt himself and who disrupted the class and learning environment all year long and administration kept blaming the teacher and doing nothing. In addition, some of the staff is extremely rude to parents and unfriendly including some older teachers that should retire. The worst thing is the fact that this school and Peoria schools cater to the struggling or below average students rather than the students that need to excel. The gifted program (PI) was cancelled for the next school year which is disappointing and unfortunately predictable. Aside from a handful of remarkable teachers, this school does nothing to stand out or shine as a professional learning community. The other thing that is disappointing is the parents: show up for field trips but never to volunteer or help their child read or the classroom!

Posted August 24, 2012

Dont recoomend Sun Valley, My kids went to Country Meadows and i thought it was a bad school so I decided to have them try out Sun Valley. But I see no difference between the two schools.

Posted August 24, 2012

Sun valley is overcroaded for the schools size, full of bad language and most of the girls dress unappropriate and even though its not aloud in the handbook the teachers and staff do nothing about it. I dont recommend you send your children here. I recently pulled my kids out of the school after them just being there 2 weeks. im highly dissapointed in the school structure.

Posted October 10, 2010

The school involves the parents and encourages parent involvement. Parents respond and get involved. I love that the Teachers are so great about keeping us parents up to date on how our children are doing and what they need help with. Great school!!

Posted September 23, 2009

i go to this school and im an 8th grader and i think that our school is awesome and the band is awesome too!
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 22, 2009

The school has given me an amazing experience with two children and more to come!

Posted September 19, 2009

Sun Valley is great! We have awesome teachers, parents and students who work for the benefit of the students. One parent drives 30mins just to bring her daughter to our school. We have heart!

Posted September 19, 2009

From the front office staff to every teacher and even the maintenance make a positive difference for every child! Many at Sun Valley go the extra mile to help my children learn and grow.

Posted September 18, 2009

Sun Valley's Principal, staff and teachers are the most thoughtful and are very hard working. I have been so empressed over the past 3 years of this school and their sense of community!! Thanks so much Sun Valley!!

Posted September 18, 2009

I love Sun Valley for so many reasons. I am a first grade teacher there and my daughter is a 6th grade student at Sun Valley. From a teacher point of view we have an amazing school, our teachers put their heart and soul into these children, going above and beyond to insure their educational and emotional well being. As a parent my daughter has received an exceptional education, her teachers have pushed her and encouraged her to be the best that she can be. As a teacher at Sun Valley, I consider these people my family. My daughter and I recently had a fire in our townhouse, my Sun Valley family stood up in very difficult economic times and gave us gift cards and money to help us get back on our feet. These are the character traits that these Sun Valley peeps enrich the students with every day. This school shines with love and integrity and I am so blessed to be a part of it.

Posted July 17, 2009

I love this school. I have one child who is 'gifted' and one who is struggling...the teachers are very accomodating to both students. There are plenty of extra curricular activities and everyone is always helpful and friendly when I go in. I highly recommend this school

Posted April 2, 2009

Sun Valley was a wonderful school until after our principal Mr. Keagle left. The warmth and sense of community is gone. Our original office clerk is still great, always friendly and helpful. The newer clerk is short with parents, rude to students, and I have never seen this lady smile once (and I'm there often.) The lunch menu was changed to provide healthier meals. Great concept, but useless when the kids don't want to eat most of it. The new principal is my biggest complaint, but at the risk of sounding any nastier, I'll leave it there.

Posted March 31, 2009

Excellant School! Mrs Green and Mrs Austin are the most wonderful teachers.

Posted October 23, 2008

Although The new Principal is quick to respond verbally to my questions, she has no follow through. I am one who beleives in a learning curve, but lets face it, with a school that has gone from highly performing to just performing, the learning curve needs to be REALLY quick! Reaching out to the community for help as well as providing resources would go a long way! The district still needs to change the boundaries for this school. The ratio of students to teachers is still too high. Children should not be coming from the other side of 91st avenue, or for that matter, the other side of the 101. Allowing those kids to go to a school in their own neighborhood could help create a better sense of community.

Posted October 16, 2008

This school is very unsatisfactory! Please do your research about your schools' report cards. Every school has a report card that is public information. We attended this school for 2 weeks. Neither the teacher nor the principal would provide any support to challenge our child who is well above average. The principal told me I was ruining my child's childhood because I prepared him & taught him things ahead of time. I did my research & found an excelling school who not only is challenging my child to the fullest of his potential, but they are excited to do so! My child loves his school & loves to be challenged instead of being bored to death w/ things he already knows. There are much better schools within the same district. This school is very unsatisfactory & I urge you to check out your schools public report card. Please! Your child deserves better!

Posted October 15, 2008

dont like the phonics way of learning here at this school. i think my grandson would get better grades in another school and another school district.

Posted May 1, 2008

We are nearing the end of my son's first year at this school. He is in 6th grade. We relocated here from Louisiana during the summer of 2007. We are incredibly lucky to have stumbled upon such a wonderful school. The instruction is very high quality and the feedback is excellent, not to mention timely. All children should have the priviledge of attending an elementary school this wonderful.

Posted April 29, 2008

I have 2 children who have been at Sun Valley for years. I have been extremely happy with this school. I believe my kids have received every benefit that was available to them. We have attended many activities through the school, and my kids have flourished here. We love the teachers and staff! I would hate to have my kids leave Sun Valley and would recommend to anyone enrolling their children here!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian 1% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 58%N/A46%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Fax number
  • (623) 412-4837

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options