Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Sunrise Mountain High School
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted February 29, 2016
Mr. Svornik is an excellent leader that instills these characteristics in his staff and students.

Posted February 29, 2016
The academics at this school are top notch! My daughter has a 4.0 in all honors classes and has received a superior education. The leadership of Mr. Svornik is excellent, encouraging the students to keep learning as their first priority! My daughter has earned a varsity letter in Cross Country, Swim, and Track and these sports programs are excellent and keep her motivated.

Sunrise Mountain High School 2

Posted August 04, 2013
I am an alumni from Sunrise Mountain. I watched this school go from good to awful in a matter of four years. Several amazing teachers left or are now teaching the University High program. I only had four teachers who seemed to excel at their job; one of them now teaches for uni-high and the other left. The English department is decent, but the math department--at least the teachers I had--is awful. If your child is lazy or not very good at math don't send them here. The guidance isn't the best; I would sign up for classes, choose back ups, and then would be put in random classes I had no interest in. Once I was not even given a second period and had a small variety in what I could take. This school is very cliquey. It's not just the cheerleaders--it's everyone. The theater kids don't talk to the jocks and the jocks don't talk to the science club and the science club doesn't talk to student council and so on. My favorite part about this school was football games. The team doesn't always win but they are fun. Make sure you or your child joins a sport or club so they have a group to go with.

Posted January 09, 2013
I moved into the school district for this school after much research moving from out of state. I am not one of the wealthy but it is worth it to have a house in this neighborhood for the school. I had two daughters attend Sunrise Mountain with great results and are such great college students because of the advanced learning they recieved. I have a 12 year old about to enter University high advanced early highschool program at SMHS and am so excited about the challenge. If your child is easily led astray or not a hard worker the enviornment may not be for you but if they are academically advanced it is a great school.

Posted September 26, 2011
So as a graduate student from Sunrise Mountain High School, I am greatly appreciative for all the preparation it has put me through. The administration can be a bit strict in some aspects and more lax in others, but no one is perfect. Our safety has greatly improved since 2006 due to the on campus police officer that has really straightened out many of our students. The faculty is lively and fun and very understanding. we have some absolutely amazing teachers that really have made a difference in every students' life. Our test scores are great, our sports are phenomenal (even football is improving), our student council wins several top ranked awards every year, and clubs continue to pop up all the time. If there are any problems that i would agree with in previous statements, dress code can be sketchy at times (but isn't that mainly the parent's fault?), drug levels have dropped drastically, and the amount of partiers is equal to any other high school in the area. The honors program is great and I know without it I wouldn t be getting the amazing grades that I am currently getting in college.

Sunrise Mountain High School 1

Posted January 31, 2011
Brought my daughter here after moving to west side. She struggled, ever the "social butterfly." Lots of drug issues at this school, like everywhere else, but the students at this school have MONEY. Sorry, not into keeping up with the joneses. Staff is indifferent to rules, from the principal on down. They don't dress code (so the girls mostly look like your favorite drunk celeb) and they don't insist that students follow a proper decorum (excessive making out in hallways, etc. staff does nothing). Some teachers are keepers; most are unsympathetic to student personal issues. GLAD my daughter's graduated, but Sunrise did its share of damage...

Posted March 17, 2010
Hi, I am one of the students of the largest graduating class of 2009! I can't say enough how much I will miss my teachers and even some of my classes. Although there didn't seem to be much school spirit among the majority of students most of the time, there were always a group of fellow students dressed up in our school colors cheering our school on. One thing I didn't much like during my years at sunrise was how our choice of buying soda was taken away yet they left the many unhealthy salty food choices on the menu which seemed kind of hypocritical. I would have much rather had less unhealthy food and kept the soda to help keep me awake during class even if it is not really healthy. Also I didn't like how the school prohibited leaving campus for lunch for Seniors. Overall, best memories!

Sunrise Mountain High School 4

Posted September 16, 2009
I just graduated from Sunrise and the teachers are great and I made some really great friends

Posted June 14, 2007
I'm really happy with the education my son is getting. Of course, it all comes back to parental expectations, support and involvement. Too many parents expect to drop their kids off and pick them up 4 years later. BTW we do have a hockey team/club for two seasons now.

Posted June 01, 2007
I am a recent graduate of Sunrise Mountain High School and i think it is an awesome school! They have been so helpful and the teachers are the most caring i have every known. The only thing that I did not like was the lack of school spirit. But i can not say the the staff and student council didn't try. I liked attending Sunrise so much that I am hoping to go back as a history teacher. All in all I would send my children to Sunrise in the future.

Sunrise Mountain High School
21200 N 83rd Ave, Peoria, AZ  85382
Last modified Sunrise Mountain High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.