Happy Valley School

Charter | K-6

Living in Peoria

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $232,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted June 26, 2010

This is the third school we have attended between my 3 boys. When I saw what my Kindergartner was doing in math and reading at Happy Valley, I pulled my 2nd grader out of the expensive private school he was attending and put him in Happy Valley. He was academically behind, but his teachers have worked diligently tutoring him(for free), communicating with us and letting us know on a weekly basis what he was struggling with. You must communicate on your own since there are no required parent /teacher conferences. We are all very happy here. No school is perfect. Whether is it traffic or parent-teacher communication, every school has it's issues. I must say that this school is extremely organized in most areas and the kids are respectful and are truly learning. I feel like my kids are getting a private school education now, without the big expense.

Posted April 27, 2010

This is the second time I'm posting. For some reason, my first comment was deleted by the school or system. I started my daughter in kindergarten at Happy Valley in August 09. By October, I took her out. They do not encourage parent volunteering, there were 33 kids in my daughters class! My daughter was 'forgotten about' because she was quiet and did her work. When I chose to take her out, I reached out to her Teacher, Principal and Charter School Director! Not One of them returned my call to discuss this. It was the best decision I made to get her out of that school. Seems to me that they just need bodies at that school to stay afloat - and with 33 kids in each kindergarten class...they sure have it. Too bad they dont care about each individual child. I wanted more for my 5 year old!

Posted April 24, 2010

This school is wonderful, it is 1 of the most excelling schools in Peoria and has been beating Terramarr -however you spell it- in AIMS for the past few years. their test scores are awsome Math- 89 Writing-100 Reading-90 They also do after-school programs,Day Care, No Bus fees and many more! I am very Impressed! If your kid(s) go to another school, i would recommend taking them to Happy Valley School.

Posted January 2, 2010

My eldest child is in her 7th year at this school and I regretfully say that her younger sister that has attended the scool for 3 years now will likley not be returning. Over the years the focus of the school has become more of making a 'political statement' of the owners views and less of a 'world view'. While I welcome the foundation of the schools charter being based on 'patriotism', it appears that this is becoming a bit overbearing in the way that it is conveyed to the students and without parent involvement, input or opinion. Nevertheless, there are some very outstanding, awesome and very dedicated teachers at this school and they are the reason we stayed. The traffic situation is also horrendous and any extra-curricular activities are for fee. In addition to the absence of a library, formal gym and limited gathering space have hampered my opinion overall.

Posted December 16, 2009

My son currently goes to Happy Valley School... We love it!! He has done so well and his teachers have been great working with us and helping him learn the material. The stall is wonderful and very welcoming to parents. We have been very pleased with the work and progress we have seen in our son. I do wish that they had more activties for the children... it is hard to pay $37 dollars for each after school activity (my son wants to do all!!) They need to have just regualr after school activties for the children. Other than that the experience has been great Parent of student

Posted December 1, 2009

My daughter has attended Happy Valley for the past four years, we both have loved every minute.

Posted October 5, 2009

My 3rd grade daughter is attending her 2nd year at this school. She loves it much better than the public schools she attended before. Her grades are much better and it has to be due to the fact that she is challenged much more here. The curriculum is very strict and systematic. The grading scale is challenging - an 84% is a C. The kids have to work harder to achieve a better letter grade and it definitely keeps my daughter motivated. The principal and staff are very much involved in every student's educational experience. My daughter also loves the after school activities like scrap booking, soccer, and cheer. Happy Valley knows how to make education for my daughter a great experience. She is so excited to go to school here!

Posted July 29, 2009

I have sent my daughters to 3 different schools as we had to move several times. Happy Valley was by far the worst.

Posted July 24, 2009

My daughter started at Happy Valley in Kindergarten now she is going to 3rd grade. We are very happy and great staff.

Posted July 10, 2009

My daughter started at Happy Valley School as an early kindergartener (she turned 5 a month after the August 31st cutoff) and she progressed really well! In Mrs. Bunish's class she learned to read, do math and she's progressing on to 1st grade this year as scheduled! I love this school so far. I just wish they offered a more comprehensive (or better yet, immersion) foreign language class even if it was after school.

Posted May 31, 2009

My son has been at this school his entire career and has excelled in all areas academically, socially, and behaviorally. He has had some great teachers that should be commended like Mrs. Small, Mrs. Phillips, and Ms. Campaign. They definitely will leave a lasting imprint on our son's future academic career. Our other son is in second grade and even though we live over a half hour away we are still considering the long bus ride he would have to take, to ensure his continued academic success. This school is definitely several notches above the public schools in our area.

Posted December 2, 2008

My daughter started at Happy Valley in Kindergarten for children turning 5 between Sept and Dec. She has progressed so well. She was reading by October, doing math that my son didn't do until 1st grade in our neighborhood school and has become much more focused.

Posted November 5, 2008

I have 2 boys who attend HV Basic and let me say it's been a dream come true. They're in 1st and 3rd grade and they love it unconditionally- in fact they ask if they can go on weekends too. My 1st grader is a little behind in reading as I understand the kinders at HV Basic start learning at that age. Since this is his first year there, he needs to catch up. Clearly this is an indication of what is NOT taught at other schools- and they came from a private Christian school within 5 miles. As a parent, I agonized about pulling them out of a private school to a Charter- but the Principal assured me that academically they are at or even at a higher caliber. He was right, it's way more advanced. I loved his candor, his openess and sincerety.

Posted October 29, 2008

My son has been at HVS for 3 years. i ahve been thrilled the school. The work is challenging yet he enjoys the learning. There is a sense of order that I like to see in a school environment. While there seems to be less parent participation than in the public schools, I prefer not having parents meddle in the classroom as potential distractions. I have had wonderful and attentive experiences w/ both the principle and vice-principle as they are attentive to the particular learning needs of each child. I do wish recess was longer and that there were overall more communication between teachers and parents; but that seems to be dependent on which teacher one has. Overall, I have been very happy with th eadvanced learning my child has recieved at HVS, which far exceeds my local A plus public school.

Posted October 28, 2008

Two years ago and even one year ago when my son was in kindergarten and first grade I may have given 4 or 5 stars, based on what he was learning already...but this year I wouldn't. More like 2 stars. The reason is this: There is a serious lack of communication between teachers and parents-you aren't allowed to volunteer in the classroom hardly at all, and it really seems like the less parents know, the better. The way I've seen and heard of some of the teachers talking down to the kids is unacceptable as well. Some of the rules are way too harsh, and I'm a strict parent myself! So what if they're 2 years ahead academically? Are they really grasping the concepts being taught? They are so strictly monitored that they are barely allowed to have fun except at recess. No wonder after 2nd grade numbers drop off.

Posted October 28, 2008

Happy Valley School is amazing. You are basically getting a private school education for free. I have 2 kids at this school. They are challenged academically every day and they love it. Kids who are not engaged in learning will have trouble at this school - it is quite strict but we love that about it. Kids are taught good moral character and responsibility. The principal and teachers are all sincere, hard-working and push each child to be their best. Before we moved her to HVS, my oldest was in Kindergarten at our local public school and was still going over colors and individual letters at this point in the year. In contrast, my youngest just started Kindergarten at Happy Valley and is already reading and adding double digits. The curriculum for each grade is very advanced but the kids enjoy being challenged. I wholeheartedly recommend this school.

Posted May 10, 2008

My daughter went to kindergarten at Happy Valley this year and loved it! The educational program at the school far excels other schools. I am proud that she has learned so much. Even though at the beginning I was worried she would struggle with some of the concepts, she quickly got in the groove and enjoys learning and reading.

Posted April 11, 2008

This is a great school. Expectations are high, goals are set. Even public speaking is taught. Discipline and respect are expected from all.

Posted October 16, 2007

3 of my children have all attended Happy Valley. My daughter is now a senior carrying a 4.0 GPA at SDOHS and I feel HVS set the foundation for her success. My oldest son is now a Sophomore at SDOHS and is also keeping with the high standards he learned their as well. My youngest son has attended HVS for the past 4 years and he came from a public school where he was less than challenged. Work schoolwork was too easy and not stimulating. He has improved his learning ability with leaps and bounds and enjoys going to school each and every day. I believe he is well on his way to academically achieving all the goals set before him.

Posted October 15, 2007

This is the best school my kids have ever attended. Finally a school that challenges them in every academic way. I love Happy Valley!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 14%N/A47%
Female 54%N/A49%
Male 46%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7140 W. Happy Valley Road