Happy Valley School

Charter | K-6

Living in Peoria

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $232,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Posted October 16, 2007

3 of my children have all attended Happy Valley. My daughter is now a senior carrying a 4.0 GPA at SDOHS and I feel HVS set the foundation for her success. My oldest son is now a Sophomore at SDOHS and is also keeping with the high standards he learned their as well. My youngest son has attended HVS for the past 4 years and he came from a public school where he was less than challenged. Work schoolwork was too easy and not stimulating. He has improved his learning ability with leaps and bounds and enjoys going to school each and every day. I believe he is well on his way to academically achieving all the goals set before him.

Posted October 15, 2007

This is the best school my kids have ever attended. Finally a school that challenges them in every academic way. I love Happy Valley!

Posted August 31, 2007

My son attends HVS and we have been so impressed with the level of education as well the faculty and facility. The students are all very well-mannered and the office staff always goes out of their way to be helpful. The Principal and Assistant Principal have also impressed us and really care about the students. At my son's last school, he used outdated textbooks, and we love how up to date and current the curriculum and text books are at HVS. Every week, there is an assembly that parents are invited to attend and its great to see a whole school, K-6th grade, with students perfectly behaved and teachers with smiling faces who clearly enjoy what they are doing and the students they teach.

Posted August 30, 2007

My son has attended HVS since kindergarten. This year he entered 2nd grade and I realized that the problems we had been having for the past year, would only get worse. I feel that the school is now force-feeding information onto the kids and not actually ensuring that the kids are learning the work, only memorizing it. I finally decided to put him into our home public school. I cannot tell you how happy I have been. I feel welcome on campus, I get to walk him to his class and see his teacher every day. The communication between teacher and parent has been frequent. He is at the top of his class and I'm so grateful we switched....I knew it wasn't right for a 7 year old to already hate school. Now he's happy when he gets home and the homework is actually do-able and fun!

Posted August 30, 2007

My daughter is starting 1st grade at HVS after attending the Kindergarten program. I couldn't be happier with the education that she is receiving. She got a great basis in Kindergarten and with the 2-3 weeks review that the teachers do the first weeks of school has gotten her going that much faster for this year. I love the optional uniform that was implemented this year. The afterschool programs are enough to keep her busy with the variety that is offered. She is also able to do her homework after school (which takes about 20 minutes) under the supervision of the afterschool staff. I highly recommend this school.

Posted August 30, 2007

This school is not for those who think that the teacher will take care of education in classroom and homework is a hindrance rather than a necessity. The children are constantly challenged to do more and achieve higher. That doesn't make it easy for us parents who have to keep up at home as well. Fortunately I do subscribe to the philosophy and feel putting the effort in early will put my son in a the better position when he enters a traditional school in later grades. The school is not known for it extracurricular activities. They do have after school art, music, sports that parents can sign up for for a fee. I think by far the annual 'Big Assembly' is really first class (you can ask any parent who has attended). The kids, parents, teachers and staff work very hard throughout the year to put on a professional presentation.

Posted August 30, 2007

I have 3 children and all 3 has attended Happy Valley School. My oldest started going to Happy Valley when it first opened, and went all the way to 6th grade. I was concerned about him going to public school after Happy Valley, but he is excelling in public school with straight A's. I cannot express my thanks to all the teachers and staff at the school. All the staff there are very plesant and helpful. My other 2 children that are still at Happy Valley love going to school. They make sure I make their doctor/dentist appointments after school because they hate to miss school.

Posted August 29, 2007

The class sizes are way to large, especially for a five year old in kindergarten, 52 kids in my child's class, and not always 3 teachers in the class with them. The expectations for grades 2-6 have all a sudden become extremely high, and the focus of making education fun and exciting is gone.

Posted August 28, 2007

This school was great for the first two years my daughter attended, and she did well and excelled. However, there are many new teachers, some of whom are not certified, there is not a library for the children to attend, and there are no offering for the kids in the 4-6 grades, such as band, after school organized sports team, etc. The class sizes are big and I felt that my daughter began to get lost in the shuffle after the first two years.

Posted July 22, 2007

We love Happy Valley School! My daughter is an encouraged, supported, engaged, and socialized student while at HPS, as well as at home. They continue what my husband and I began here at home, all the while accepting that school and home are both learning environments. The staff and teachers both encourage a lot of parental involvement, and keep communication at an all time high. Teacher to student ratio is always spot on, never leaving my child feeling rushed or left behind. Individual care is expressed and encouraged, a trait that is very appreciated. We are looking forward to many great years to come.

Posted July 8, 2007

I have had 2 children attend Happy Valley Charter (my older daughter for 6 years and my younger daughter is still there beginning her 5th year). Academically, this school is the best. My kids score at high school level on standardized tests. They do have music class and perform twice per year for family and friends to attend. Extracurricular activities are limited, I utilize the Parks and Recreation classes for my childrens individual interests. The administration at the school is very good---very supportive of their students and very serious about providing an excellent learning environment.

Posted June 27, 2007

I have 3 children attending HVS. Although there are some things I don't care for, they do not out weigh the amazing education that my children are receiving. I pulled one child from a school and placed them in HVS and the difference was amazing. The school has some quirks, but all schools do. I send my children to school to learn, if they need more extras, I will find them that too!! Over all it is an amazing program and I encourage all to give it a try and see the change for yourself.

Posted June 5, 2007

We really liked the academics, curriculum and student behavior at this school. Most of the teachers are great. The administrative staff is very unprofessional. Parents are not encouraged to help out at the school and have very little involvement school activities.

Posted May 22, 2007

Our Daughter has attended Happy Valley Charter for 2 years now; Kindergarten and 1st grade. We could not be happier with the school! Great teachers & Principal is wonderful. Academically no other school in our area comes close! Parent involvement is welcomed and very much appreciated. Kindergarten classes are large amount of children but the teachers do a terrific job with the numbers and our daughters progress was superb! 1st grade she soared as well with a fabulous teacher :O) Several school activities are offered and run very smoothly. We love the after school care for emergency times when we couldn't make it in time for pick up. Music program is top notch with a wonderful program every year with the whole school involved. ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL SCHOOL :O)

Posted May 22, 2007

Overall I think Happy Valley is a good school. My daughter had a wonderful teacher in 6th grade last year. I think it has helped her be so successful in 7th grade at a new school this year. My son is finishing 3rd and has gone for 3 years. I think the large classes have made it hard for him, although he has done very well. Mrs. Karls, Mrs. Eager, Ms. Campaigne and Mrs. Engstrom all get my 2 thumbs up for being wonderful teachers! Mrs Karls especially gives of herself to help the children that need extra help with homework after school on a regular basis. There are not enough teachers like her that are caring enough to go the extra mile!

Posted May 21, 2007

I was very excited about my child going to this school as I have heard good reviews. However the academic aspect of the school should not be the only focus. My child would cry everyday because he had to go to school here. We eventually moved my child to another school. Loves school now.

Posted May 11, 2007

Overall this is a good school. I really like the teachers, some of them really go out of their way to help kids. They also have a lot of really great families that go there. I am not crazy about the grading policy as it does not allow you to truly know how your child is doing. I am not a fan of the principal, I do not think he treats all kids and families equally. Parent involvement varies by classroom. The school always has a nice book fair and a music show that highlights the talents of the kids.

Posted January 11, 2007

I have been extremely pleased with HVS. My child attends kindergarten there. Yes, there are 32 kids in her class, but they get plenty of attention between the teacher and her full-time aide. They run a tight ship in her class and I feel the discipline policy is fair and effective. I am amazed at how much they have learned just in the first half of the year. Even with the amount of work they do each day, my child has handled it with ease and no stress. There are a number of after school activities to choose from. The morning drop off and afternoon car pool pick up procedures run very smoothly. Overall, I feel very secure knowing my child is in a safe academic environment each day.

Posted December 1, 2006

The kindergarten classes are extremely large. The children are not getting the attention and education that they deserve. I don't think that this school is the right environment for my children.

Posted August 11, 2006

This school is awesome! My son has been going here since Kindergarten, and is now in 6th grade! I am sad to know this will be his last year here! He has learned SO MUCH! From reading, writing, and math he has grown academically by leaps & bounds! The staff is wonderful! We are so saddened to know this is his last year here, but are proud to know that he has learned all the skills needed to succeed in his future endeavors because of HVS!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

97 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 9% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 14%N/A47%
Female 54%N/A49%
Male 46%N/A51%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

7140 W. Happy Valley Road