Cheyenne Elementary School

Public | PK-8 | 767 students

Posted August 5, 2014

My children have attended Cheyenne for seven years now and I have seen different changes take place. The new principal and vice principal are enthusiastic and encourage great communication. The teachers are amazing and positive. It's a great place now for both the teachers and the students. Great things happening!

Posted April 30, 2014

My grandson loves Cheyenne Elementary School in the Peoria Unified School District, and has nothing but great things to say about his teachers and classmates. Cheyenne Elementary is a very great school in my opinion.

Posted April 29, 2014

My son has been going to Cheyenne for 2 years now and I am very disappointed that Great Schools rates this school a 5. I have had nothing but POSITIVE experiences. Although my son is only in second grade, both the teachers he has had have been AMAZING. My one disappointment would be that PUSD changed their gifted program, but I am beyond thankful for the teachers who recognize when a child needs to be challenged and give the needed attention. On a side note, my son also attends the AM/PM program and even though teachers have come and gone, they have all been extremely kind and patient.

Posted April 30, 2013

It would be a GREAT improvement if the principal would interact and agree to meetings with parents. It is awful that I have to deal with continued ignorance with many involved with claimed "good character" as the motto of this school. what a travesty. I am sorry they are making money to treat children this way. My hard earned money, so sad !!!! I was forced to give a star, I would rather not.

Posted April 30, 2013

My daughter has attended Cheyene Elementary for the past 4 years and has been involved in the crosscountry team and has learned to play the trumpet in band class for the last 2 years .my wife and i are very happy to attend school activities such as athletic events, music recitles and the father daughter dance. The teachers are A+ the faculty and staff are alwaysvery helpful with any concerns we might have. My daughter is now finishing the 5th grade and i will have another daughter attending in three years. thank you for all your support

Posted July 6, 2011

I feel that it is extremely unfair for this site to allow parents to use teacher's names either in a positive or negative manner. This site is allowing for one point of view without considering the other side. I have read a particular post and KNOW FOR SURE that it is a one sided view. Please consider revising your site. Teachers who are awesome and totally care about each and every one of their students are getting torn apart by parents who have no clue.

Posted January 31, 2011

Where to start. Wow. We thought this was a good school. My Son, Daughter-In-Law and Grandchildren moved to my home due to financial reasons. The youngest qualified for the gifted program in another district. Her teacher, at Cheyenne, simply said "Oh. We have an Over-Achiever." WHAT? So, the child's test scores were totally ignored, and she was driven to boredom. In my opinion, this particular 1st Grade teacher is an Under-Achiever, and the school and district should get failing marks for allowing such a teacher to squash a child's learning ability like that and also ignoring the child's test scores. Shame on them, and I hope she does not have the chance to squash any other children and their learning.

Posted October 25, 2010

This school has gone beyond any expectation I had for helping my son to succeed in school.

Posted October 13, 2010

Both of my grandchildren have excelled in this atmosphere of great teachers and stimulated their minds to learn and have fun in the process. Administration is very caring and always there to help in any situation.

Posted October 12, 2010

I am very happy with Cheyenne Elementary, my son graduated from from there in 09 and I have a daughter that will graduate in 2013. They have recieved great education as well as treatment by all staff.

Posted May 27, 2010

My children have attended Cheyenne for the past 2 years. My daughters have really enjoyed their classes. The 6th and 7th grade teachers are great! The office staff have always been friendly and helpful in person and on the phone.

Posted February 6, 2009

My children have also experienced racism at this school. They were told by 4 other children on the school bus that because they were white they couldnt sit in the back with everyone else. This has happened on more than one occasion and they have come home telling me about being taunted and teased because they are white and that all if the kids call them names, cursing at them, trying to trip them and threatening to beat them up when they get off of the bus. This was reported to the school and I hope they take great notice that this seems to be an escalating issue at Cheyenne.

Posted November 17, 2008

I am a parent and my kids have gone here for a few years. The teachers are great. A teacher acted inappropriately and the principal did nothing about it! I was quite mad! Kids here seem to be racist towards white my kids tell me stories of being called white girl or white boy. This is very disturbing to me. I will be taking them out next year! I would not recommend this school unless your a minority.

Posted April 13, 2008

This was our firt year here at Cheyenne. My daughter is in first grade. The staff is friendly but I do not know what she is learning. There is no communication with the parents. Her class has 26 students. From what she brings home, she is learning exceptionally BASIC pre-school material. She tells me she is bored and does not like school. Last year I homeschooled her and she LOVED school. Her teacher says she is the top student. Probably because this year is all last years reveiw to her. They do not grade writing work and do not teach the kids a standard in any work they turn in. There is no grading system until 3rd grade, so my daughter cannot see her need for improvement. It does not motivate her to do better when she's not doing her best. Very disappointed....

Posted December 14, 2007

Hello I am a student at Cheyenne and I would like to say that honestly I miss Dr. G. I am currently a 8th grader and decided to look at the ratings and when Dr. G. Left it seems that our ratings has gone down. Us 8th graders love the school! We do miss Dr. G. and we do wishthat he would come back. Once Dr, G. Left I hate going to school and I would rather stay at home. But when Dr. G. was here I felt as if he had a great conection with us students and Mrs. Miller our current Principal treats us as if we are all 1st graders. Dr. G. Had a great heart and treated every one as if we were in what grade we were in. We as 8th graders would like to say that we Miss Dr. G. and we love him!
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 4, 2007

My daughter spent one year at Cheyenne, and if I could have gotten out of my lease or had a way to transport her to another school, she would not have been there that long. My child had been consistently on the honor roll, but now was begging me to keep her home in the mornings.

Posted January 13, 2007

My child has attended Cheyenne for 4 1/4 years. He had difficulty with adjustment during the first year and 1/4. When he hit 3rd grade he was put in Mrs. Welsh's class and he hit a high note in his school behavior and really thrived. I was relieved to see his improvement. All my thanks to her. But, since then we have not had the greatest luck. I have had a very difficult time to get the past two teachers to keep me in the loop. I have provided my email interaction , cell phone numbers and yet my child's grades are suffering for it. I can only help my child if I know there is a problem. Teachers spend more time with my child then I..they are my link to my child during my time away from them. Isn't it their eyes that help us support our children?

Posted December 6, 2006

This school seems to have some kind of downfall now that there is a new principle. Before the current principal, Dr. Gundrum was in charge. He seemed to have more of a connection with the kids and he got along great. The new principle seems to be out of hand.

Posted January 26, 2006

Peoria Elementary school is unusual in the fact that the middle school aged children stay with the younger grades. They share their hallway with the 4th graders. The outside playground is very barren with very few activities. This could be improved upon. Things to change would be the arts programs. There just are not enough electives. If your child is not in to sports or music there is nothing to do. Theater, better arts programs, computer classes, home economics, or building classes would all be wonderful. We came from Shawnee Mission School District in Kansas City and the low priority that the electives are getting are a shock to us and our student. However, the real grace of Cheyenne is its dedicated teachers who with their kind laid back attitude can take a joke, even from the students. Cheyenne has ecperienced a change of principal and that is always slightly problematic.

Posted September 10, 2005

This school is great. The teachers and staff really take an interest in my child's education. My son goes to resource classes, and I have regular updates not only from them but his regular teachers. We have moved often and this is the best school he's ever attended.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 78% in 2014.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

In 2013-2014 Arizona used the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS) to test students in reading and mathematics in grades 3 through 8 and 10, writing in grades 5, 6, 7, and 10, and in science in grades 4, 8 and 10. GreatSchools' profiles currently show AIMS mathematics, reading and writing results. 2013 AIMS grade 10 results represent on-track 10th graders for the 2013 test year. AIMS is a standards-based test, which means that it measures how well students have mastered Arizona learning standards. Students must pass the grade 10 AIMS in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to meet or exceed state standards on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 58% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 86% in 2014.

n/a
Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 63% in 2014.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 66%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Nurse(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Fax number
  • (623) 487-5110

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields