Public charter
Peoria, AZ

School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Dear Community, This site asks that I provide an official school message for their purposes of providing you information that assists you in your school search. We are well aware that you will see all types of remarks in the reviews. All I can do is invite you in to meet with me. I enjoy that aspect of my work. What you will find is a school full of professionals who are passionate about the same things and work for a common goal - your child's academic success and personal well-being. We perform at the very top for a reason. To be successful to this degree, a school needs four things in place - a rich, robust, adopted curriculum (not adopted "programs,"), expert teachers who deliver it with expertise, an environment that nurtures well-being, and strong leadership and governance. The fact is, every year, 97% of our parents are satisfied or extremely satisfied with Candeo. They tell us we deliver on our promise. I would love the chance to meet with any of you to help you decide if Candeo is right for you. All my best, Stephanie Musser, Ed.D. Executive Director
May 9, 2014

Posted January 22, 2015
Another change in front office staff? This school has such a high rate of teacher and staff turn over. In the last 3 years we have been at the school there has been 3 different people in the office. Three of the four teachers my children had are gone and several other teachers have left each year. I agree the administration is horrible. The principle is completely unapproachable and nonexistent. We have started the process of looking elsewhere. This has not been a horrible experience but I can't say we have seen anything better than where we were previously. Disappointment is what I would say about this school.

Candeo Schools 2

Posted January 02, 2015
I have to agree with the majority of complaints about Candeo. Most of the teachers are good, but usually they end up leaving after a few years because of the principal. The biggest problem with the school is the leadership. A few of the teachers have relationships with parents outside of school, which allows those parents kids to get special treatment. To me I thought this was always very unprofessional!!! Candeo is very AIMS focused and preps the struggling kids all year, so that those kids do well on that test. Candeo ranked high this year but allot of that is months of test prepping. We ended up moving our boys to another local charter school which doesn't teach to the test but makes the kids actually be able to think! Our boys headmaster is very kind, sincere, very approachable and does not test prep. Keeping the parents at a distant not only makes the school professional and drama free. If you truly believe Candeo is the best charter school you haven't been to enough charters!
9 people found this helpful

Posted October 01, 2014
I am a parent of 2 children at Candeo. We have had wonderful teachers and my children love going to school. There is a reason why Candeo is ranked in the top 10 charter schools in Phoenix. If you are a person that cares about the quality of education, quality teachers, and kids that enjoy being in school then Candeo is for you. There is always something you will not like wherever you attend. If your relationship with the principle, or front desk person is the most important to you then this is not the school or you. We love the school and I can't imagine being anywhere else.
3 people found this helpful

Posted September 30, 2014
This is in response to the teacher comment posted about a parent. As one teacher to another I think it is highly unprofessional to comment on any parent with students attending the school good or bad. I am very disappointed by this lack of professional behavior. I do not have a child attending this school and now I wont consider it as an option.
3 people found this helpful

Posted August 07, 2014
We have been at Candeo since 2008. I can not even find the words to express the gratitude that I feel towards the teachers. Last year was so rewarding for my kids. My oldest child overcame a huge obstacle with the help of two exceptional teachers in particular who never gave up! This is what matters! It is definetly a school of choice and there have been times that I do not agree with some policies or the general attitude of the staff but I have never regretted the education or the happiness of my kids! Way to go Candeo!

Posted August 07, 2014
Wow, I am new to this school and the Administration and parents are rude and close minded. If you ask any question or give any constructive feedback they will shut you down and make you feel like you are a complainer and tell you that you should be happy to be there and if you don't like it then you can take your kid elsewhere. Great! I just waited 2 years on a waiting list and left a good school for this! So disappointing!

Posted May 04, 2014
4. What is their policy when a student is absent? Well I can tell you that when you contact the office they will tell you that homework is not sent home. Does this make sense to anyone? My child was out 2 days and when she did go back was not even given the notes that were taken when she was gone. She was then expected to take a test on information in those notes. They take no responsibility and will basically tell you that that is just the way it is and deal with it. The poor teachers have no direction because there is no leadership. The principal is hardly ever visible and when she is she is grossly unprepared.

Candeo Schools 3

Posted May 03, 2014
This is in response to the May 2nd post. I m a teacher and have worked at West Wing Elementary, and now I work in another school not far from Candeo. If you are crying at night because of this situation, I would consider one of the neighborhood schools around Candeo, such as West Wing, Parkridge, or Frontier. They are also building a brand new school by the Sunrise Mountain Library. The neighborhood schools around all the charter schools are not terrible and are very good. If you are so miserable for your child that you are crying and regretting your situation, you could very easily find happiness at one of the great neighborhood schools. I have one child at Archway Glendale and another at our neighborhood school in the PUSD. While GH is a wonderful school, I also find that our neighborhood public school in the Peoria District is also very good. Life is too short to be so miserable about Candeo. We live in an exceptional area and all the public schools are competing with the charters. I think you could find happiness at any school surrounding Candeo. You don t need to suffer. I hope you find peace for your family.

Posted March 06, 2014
Our daughter just moved to the Candeo system and we could not be happier. Her teacher has made her feel welcome and as though she had been there all year. We are also very impressed with the curriculum and the overall program. We are also excited to see the new facilities next year.

Posted February 06, 2014
I am astonished at the things my children are learning and their excitement to do so. Candeo truly delivers a private school level of education for free. The teachers are amazing and I appreciate the environment that the school fosters. This couldn't be achieved without exceptional administration. They aren't going to make everyone happy and I'm ok with that. I would much rather have someone with a clear and unwavering vision than someone who is constantly trying to appease others. I love this school, my kids love this school. Well done Candeo!

Candeo Schools
9965 W Calle Lejos, Peoria, AZ  85383
Last modified Candeo Schools is a Charter school that serves grades K-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Candeo Schools Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 122 reviews. Top