School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Dear Community, This site asks that I provide an official school message for their purposes of providing you information that assists you in your school search. We are well aware that you will see all types of remarks in the reviews. All I can do is invite you in to meet with me. I enjoy that aspect of my work. What you will find is a school full of professionals who are passionate about the same things and work for a common goal - your child's academic success and personal well-being. We perform at the very top for a reason. To be successful to this degree, a school needs four things in place - a rich, robust, adopted curriculum (not adopted "programs,"), expert teachers who deliver it with expertise, an environment that nurtures well-being, and strong leadership and governance. The fact is, every year, 97% of our parents are satisfied or extremely satisfied with Candeo. They tell us we deliver on our promise. I would love the chance to meet with any of you to help you decide if Candeo is right for you. All my best, Stephanie Musser, Ed.D. Executive Director
May 09, 2014

Bad
Good

Our student intensely disliked this school from day one and sadly, it took us a long time to fully understand why. The front office staff changed a lot, but they were mostly kind and efficient. The teacher turnover was a bit alarming, but more concerning was that in many cases, the replacement teachers were less impressive than the ones who had left. The middle school curriculum was fine and academically we weren't displeased, with the exception of the math curriculum. Although we were told our child was taking HS level math at Candeo, that did not translate well in terms of students passing the public HS test, as expected. (At least within our child's large friend group.) Our student, who has always had straight A's in advanced math, will now be retaking HS math. Not the end of the world, just not what we had expected. Finally, as parents who value education and have children who have always loved school, we found that our child's learning environment and overall educational experience at Candeo was suffocating, reprimanding and policy-driven rather than encouraging, respectful and student-centered. In the end, our personal experience with their policy-over-people philosophy and our interaction with the principal made it clear why our child was miserable in this school. In our family, leadership with character, humility and accountability is esteemed and highly valued. This strong foundation is missing at Candeo and after witnessing first-hand, a glimpse into our child's experience there, we deeply apologized for not fully understanding the intangible everyday issues our student faced.... and then we left.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are amazing! However, each year there is so much turn over that there is absolutely no consistency. The administration rarely know what the hand books states, and challenges parents frequently on it. There is great communication in some areas, and terrible communication in other areas!

Develops character: Agree

I feel any interaction that the teachers have with the students are wonderful. Not so for the principle.

The community of teachers are amazing and unlike any other. This is the case year after year. However, there is a lot of turn over each year throughout the entire school. In the couple years we've been apart of this program there have been 4 new people in the office. It has become a point of strain that families never know if teachers are returning! It's very disappointing for the students. Our biggest issue with the school, and ultimately why we left, is safety is not a top priority. There have been numerous small and not so small issues that have come up. The image has become a bigger priority then the children. We can no longer support a school that does not prioritize the students.

Another change in front office staff? This school has such a high rate of teacher and staff turn over. In the last 3 years we have been at the school there has been 3 different people in the office. Three of the four teachers my children had are gone and several other teachers have left each year. I agree the administration is horrible. The principle is completely unapproachable and nonexistent. We have started the process of looking elsewhere. This has not been a horrible experience but I can't say we have seen anything better than where we were previously. Disappointment is what I would say about this school.

I have to agree with the majority of complaints about Candeo. Most of the teachers are good, but usually they end up leaving after a few years because of the principal. The biggest problem with the school is the leadership. A few of the teachers have relationships with parents outside of school, which allows those parents kids to get special treatment. To me I thought this was always very unprofessional!!! Candeo is very AIMS focused and preps the struggling kids all year, so that those kids do well on that test. Candeo ranked high this year but allot of that is months of test prepping. We ended up moving our boys to another local charter school which doesn't teach to the test but makes the kids actually be able to think! Our boys headmaster is very kind, sincere, very approachable and does not test prep. Keeping the parents at a distant not only makes the school professional and drama free. If you truly believe Candeo is the best charter school you haven't been to enough charters!

I am a parent of 2 children at Candeo. We have had wonderful teachers and my children love going to school. There is a reason why Candeo is ranked in the top 10 charter schools in Phoenix. If you are a person that cares about the quality of education, quality teachers, and kids that enjoy being in school then Candeo is for you. There is always something you will not like wherever you attend. If your relationship with the principle, or front desk person is the most important to you then this is not the school or you. We love the school and I can't imagine being anywhere else.

To the last comment: that was not a teacher or staff member who wrote that. Candep staff are incredibly professional. That comment was written with a personal agenda, just like all the other comments here. This site is a joke.

This is in response to the teacher comment posted about a parent. As one teacher to another I think it is highly unprofessional to comment on any parent with students attending the school good or bad. I am very disappointed by this lack of professional behavior. I do not have a child attending this school and now I wont consider it as an option.

We have been at Candeo since 2008. I can not even find the words to express the gratitude that I feel towards the teachers. Last year was so rewarding for my kids. My oldest child overcame a huge obstacle with the help of two exceptional teachers in particular who never gave up! This is what matters! It is definetly a school of choice and there have been times that I do not agree with some policies or the general attitude of the staff but I have never regretted the education or the happiness of my kids! Way to go Candeo!

Last modified Candeo Schools is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.