BASIS Peoria

Charter | 5-12 | 720 students

BASIS provides a well-rounded, academically rigorous liberal arts education

Student diversity

Living in Peoria

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $232,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Sweep tile

Posted March 6, 2014

I love BASIS Peoria. This school is phenomenal, the teachers are great, and so is the staff. One thing you see at BASIS that you don't see at any other school is that the teachers know what they are talking about and make it there goal to help you. At BASIS it is not a sink or swim thing, if you aren't doing good the teachers will do everything they can to help you succeed.

Posted February 10, 2014

Where should I start? There are honestly quite a few MAJOR issues with this school. Don't get me wrong, it is a great school with some fatal flaws. The administration is ATROCIOUS. They take cheating rather lightly, or simply don't acknowledge it, but I was nearly suspended when some kid threatened to beat me up. Use your phone after school? Forget it. They even attempt to enforce it off campus. Fortunately, if you know what you are doing, you will never have to speak to them. Some teachers are incredibly bad at their subject. Chemistry in particular really attracts the WORST teachers. One of the teachers is absolutely amazing and the other knows nothing about chemistry. It is not uncommon for the teacher to tell you to talk to a different teacher for help. Another main issue at this school is stress and homework. I haven't slept for over 8 hours on a school day for 3 YEARS. 8th grade is awful. I basically run off caffeine and still have problems staying awake in classes. People have fainted because of lack of sleep. I don't do all that great in some classes, yet in a class like physics, we have been doing the same thing since 6th grade, so a high 90 is pretty common.

Posted January 9, 2014

BASIS was a very helpful stepping stone to improving my time management, figuring out my priorities, and learning how to study with tactics and strategy. However, my life was so focused on school, which is not a bad thing. My meaning in this is that I was not well rounded AT ALL. I had to kill myself to maintain an average score, and the hard effort I had put in were not yielding desirably. I had to quite ALL my extracurriculars, piano lessons, taekwondo, outside art classes, all for this school. I never really experienced the joy that learning usually offered me at previous schools. For me- it is unreasonable that a student must sacrifice everything for one grade. The difficult classes are piled up. I've seen a few people in my class feel sick from stress, and a classmate of mine had fainted due to lack of sleep. I am moving, finally, to another, well balanced and exceptional school, and hopefully I will once again regain the feeling of enjoying to learn new things, something I have lost.

Posted October 31, 2013

I am entering my third year at BASIS Peoria. I think that my school is fantastic. The curriculum is rigorous. I like that the teachers are skillfully trained in their subjects, because they can show the students their interests in the subjects. The teachers teach with hands-on labs and other out-of-the-box activities. I thoroughly enjoy my classes, because not only are the classes, in general, more advanced, but BASIS allows students to progress as quick as they like. As long as a student is ready for an advanced class, he or she can take that class. I feel that the teachers and staff look out for my individual needs, rather than teaching to the masses. Also, the extracurricular program is expansive, with activities from yearbook and volleyball to fencing and ping-pong. BASIS is not an easy school. The teachers expect ~A LOT~ out of the students. BASIS is not for everybody, but I can not imagine a better school than BASIS Peoria for me.

Posted October 31, 2013

Basis is a great school. The kids are doing advanced math in 5th grade. They graduate with at least 6 AP credits. It isn't for everybody, but neither is Julliard. Certain schools are ideal for some kids but not others. Basis is for kids interested in truly working hard to learn as much as they can.

Posted October 31, 2013

I like Basis as an excellent school. The kids are challenged. They surpass the state standards by far. I strongly recommend Basis as a school.

Posted October 31, 2013

At Basis, the children strive for greatness. They challenge each other to get higher grades, be in more advanced classes, to perform better. The "cool" kids are the smart kids. Consequently, the children achieve incredibly high test scores and incur many AP credits.

Posted October 31, 2013

I love Basis. The staff is friendly and really takes an interest in the children. Also the children are pushed to do well. This is why I think Basis Peoria is the best.

Posted October 31, 2013

Basis is one of the greatest schools. The small class size allows for individual attention, something I find amazing for my child's education. He was struggling with English, but now he is doing much better, writing and reading at a much higher level.

Posted October 31, 2013

Basis gives its students freedom. If enough people want to have a certain extra curricular activity or a certain class, Basis will have that class. For example, one of my children has Kenpo Karate for P.E., and my other does fencing. This freedom makes school fun for kids.

Posted October 31, 2013

We have been here for over 2 years now. We don't know what we would do without BASIS. Our kids were bored in other schools, but now they are challenged. They work hard for decent grades, but when they get A's they know that they earned them.

Posted October 17, 2013

Basis is such a great school because the teachers are very supportive. The content is tough but the teachers always explain things very clearly. My favorite thing is having a schedule to change things around so you always can have different subjects at different times every day, instead of just doing the same thing over and over again! Basis really is an awesome school!

Posted October 16, 2013

I think that basis is a great school for hard determined kids. At the beginning of the year I was terrified but it turned out to be a very exiting challenging adventure. I am very glad I chose Basis. You should too! :)

Posted October 10, 2013

Could not ask for a better education for our children! Admin great to work with. Teachers are highly educated.

Posted September 30, 2013

This school is intense! Students have to be exceptionally gifted or exceptionally hard working. The school and its staff are not warm or friendly, and they're happy to leave kids behind. Yet, my 7th grade daughter is willing to work incredibly hard just to keep up, because she's proud she's getting a "smartest kids in the world" level education. She has big dreams.

Posted September 30, 2013

Excellent curriculum and very intelligent students, but requires hard work and dedication. Lacks opportunity to be well rounded.

Posted September 30, 2013

My student is in the 3rd year at Basis and loves it. The teachers and staff are very devoted to each child's academic learning. They never fail to notice when a child needs additional help so they do not fall far behind. They offer student hours and also have peer tutors for those who need it. The administration office has an open door policy and the kids are allowed to visit head of school, lower school, upper school director's at any given time. All front office staff are very welcoming and attentive to the kids needs. The curriculum is challenging, but once a student understands the expectations, becomes organized and learns time management skills and utilizes the additional help they will thrive. Yes, there is nightly homework averaging around 2-4 hours per night sometimes less depending on your child's grade level, but they are truly being prepared for college. Doing homework now will not be a shock to them later on in life. The school offers extra curricular activities giving students the opportunity to become involved with over 30 different clubs. I would highly recommend Basis Peoria to anyone who is considering it for their child.

Posted September 30, 2013

As a parent, I was ecstatic when Basis Peoria opened up in my community! I had already heard so many great things about the existing Basis schools that I was elated to know that my child would now have an opportunity to attend such a wonderful school with such a fabulous reputation for academic excellence. We are just beginning our 5th grade year and we are anxiously looking forward to a fun, exciting, yet challenging year!

Posted September 30, 2013

My kids love going to Basis Peoria. The teachers are passionate about teaching these kids. The teachers are highly educated and experts in their subjects. My kids really admire the teachers and have a comradery with the teachers. It is definitely more challenging than their previous public school experience but in the end the are learning so much more.

Posted September 30, 2013

We went in search of a school with the rigor we felt needed to be instilled in our child's education. We certainly found it here. It is new for us, challenging, frustrating, fun, exciting all rolled into one ball. Some days are better than others. I hope to report back after the first year is finished to say--"We loved it and we will be back!" Now is too soon to tell, however, the staff is responsive, teachers are listening and caring (and extremely qualified in their respective fields) so we are glad to be a part of a unique situation in AZ.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

The Arizona Department of Education did not report AZ LEARNS results for this school.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Rancho Solano Private Schools
Glendale Preparatory Academy/Great Hearts
Candeo
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
French
Italian
Korean
Spanish
Tagalog
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

• Speech and language impairments
  • Visual impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)
  • Science club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• Tagalog

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 7:20 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 p.m.
  • Ashley Brown
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (623) 566-9109

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced Placement curriculum
  • Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
  • Honors track
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

6 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year
250
Applications received for the 2012-2013 school year
400
Students typically come from these schools
Rancho Solano Private Schools
Glendale Preparatory Academy/Great Hearts
Candeo

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges

25950 North Lake Pleasant Parkway