Public charter
Peoria, AZ
Before care: Yes

Basis Peoria 3

Posted November 12, 2014
My kid has always been in the top 3% - 5% of her class and I was very glad that she had an opportunity to join Basis. Since she started, I see so much stress in her life with school and a lot of pressure on me to help her keep up with the homework, it makes me cry. I love my child and it breaks my heart to see her lose her faith and feel like she is not bright. I hope I have not damaged here for life. The materials they cover is top notch. Most college kids would fail a test they give 5-8th graders but they are expected to be adults from the 5th grade. It is not the school for my child but if you have a computer for a child, then this is the best place in the country for your kids.

Posted October 23, 2014
This school is amazing. If you want to have a good future (educational wise), this is the school for you. I ,personally as a student, am also overwhelmed. HW for every subject (7-9), can be very stressful. And on top of that, there is nightly studying, also. But hopefully, it pays off in the end. BASIS is one of the best schools in Arizona, and as seen on the news, in the nation. Highly suggested school for willing, intelligent students.

Basis Peoria 3

Posted October 21, 2014
I'm a parent with 2 kids here for 3 years. We stay because the curriculum is incredibly advanced. Yet, I don't believe the staff or teachers care at all about these students. Zero. Most teachers are arrogant millennials who may have recent degrees in their subjects, but most have little to no-teaching experience. Truth is, with their lack of certification, they can't get better paying jobs with benefits at public schools. Many seem to enjoy driving these high performing kids to their breaking points. The kids are elite, not the teachers. It's funny to read the comments on parent being un-involved. It's the most un-welcoming place. We have tried repeatedly to be involved, but it s closed. Also, we work, and parent meetings are held mid-day Mon-Fri. This is not a community school, and it doesn t operate like one. We pray the misery will be worth it for our kids in their adult lives. It s right for some kids, but not most.

Posted April 28, 2014
This is a great but tough school! The curriculum is really advanced and the teachers are experts on their subjects but some of them without any experience in teaching and zero tolerance, so for the kids it's a truly challenge every single day! In reference to the parent involvement it is a very little percentage of parents so involved and committed, but unfortunately the majority doesn't participate enough and remain secluded.

Posted April 28, 2014
BASIS is a living nightmare that has a vast number of issues. The majority of time spent in class is starting the homework that you'll be spending the entire night on. I've been a student for 2 years now and can't stand this school. If you contain self determination or if you were a hard working student, you'll be able to survive, if not your in for an unpleasant surprise. Now, you may think I'm a slacker complaining about doing work but you can't even imagine the work I've put into this school only to be pummeled by the pressure the teachers and my own parents put on me. The teachers are straight out of college with no idea how to transfer a college level curriculum so that a twelve year can understand. The majority of the staff are nice people, just clueless when it comes to teaching. Forget doing anything over the weekend because you'll be inside doing 5 classes if homework while your friends arent. So in conclusion, I highly dislike this school and would never recommend this to anyome.

Posted April 27, 2014
We were drawn to BASIS schools based upon the reputation and achievements of the Tucson and Scottsdale schools. We are confident BASIS Peoria will garner a similar reputation in time. The curriculum is rigorous and even the brightest students work hard to get good grades. They also offer a variety of extra-curricular activities for students to engage in. We love that our son is challenged and we hope he will understand the future payoff of working hard now. We hope that BASIS Peoria will develop a way to monitor teachers in the classroom in order to help teachers effectively transfer their knowledge to the students, as not all brilliant people can teach. Like all new schools, BASIS Peoria has had some growing pains and changes in leadership. Having consistent leadersip will be key to sustaining driection and growth. We have been imvolved as parents since the school opened. We hope that more parents participate and offer support in the future. There are certainly plenty of opportunities to get involved. Overall we are pleased with our decision to place our son at this school. We have withheld the 5 star rating because we believe there is still room for improvement.

Basis Peoria 5

Posted April 27, 2014
This was a great school. I left, but it really wasn't a great idea. The teachers were great, they were nice, and they new their stuff.

Basis Peoria 5

Posted March 06, 2014
I love BASIS Peoria. This school is phenomenal, the teachers are great, and so is the staff. One thing you see at BASIS that you don't see at any other school is that the teachers know what they are talking about and make it there goal to help you. At BASIS it is not a sink or swim thing, if you aren't doing good the teachers will do everything they can to help you succeed.

Posted February 10, 2014
Where should I start? There are honestly quite a few MAJOR issues with this school. Don't get me wrong, it is a great school with some fatal flaws. The administration is ATROCIOUS. They take cheating rather lightly, or simply don't acknowledge it, but I was nearly suspended when some kid threatened to beat me up. Use your phone after school? Forget it. They even attempt to enforce it off campus. Fortunately, if you know what you are doing, you will never have to speak to them. Some teachers are incredibly bad at their subject. Chemistry in particular really attracts the WORST teachers. One of the teachers is absolutely amazing and the other knows nothing about chemistry. It is not uncommon for the teacher to tell you to talk to a different teacher for help. Another main issue at this school is stress and homework. I haven't slept for over 8 hours on a school day for 3 YEARS. 8th grade is awful. I basically run off caffeine and still have problems staying awake in classes. People have fainted because of lack of sleep. I don't do all that great in some classes, yet in a class like physics, we have been doing the same thing since 6th grade, so a high 90 is pretty common.

Posted January 09, 2014
BASIS was a very helpful stepping stone to improving my time management, figuring out my priorities, and learning how to study with tactics and strategy. However, my life was so focused on school, which is not a bad thing. My meaning in this is that I was not well rounded AT ALL. I had to kill myself to maintain an average score, and the hard effort I had put in were not yielding desirably. I had to quite ALL my extracurriculars, piano lessons, taekwondo, outside art classes, all for this school. I never really experienced the joy that learning usually offered me at previous schools. For me- it is unreasonable that a student must sacrifice everything for one grade. The difficult classes are piled up. I've seen a few people in my class feel sick from stress, and a classmate of mine had fainted due to lack of sleep. I am moving, finally, to another, well balanced and exceptional school, and hopefully I will once again regain the feeling of enjoying to learn new things, something I have lost.

Basis Peoria
, Peoria, AZ  85383
Last modified Basis Peoria is a Charter school that serves grades 5-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Basis Peoria Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 55 reviews. Top