Desert Harbor Elementary School

Public | PK-8 & ungraded

Posted August 28, 2014

Desert harbor elementary...horrible rude staff. It's like its split in half . You get the younger grades that have very sweet teachers and the junior high teachers are scary. The other staff are very rude and talk down to you. I see staff constantly talking down to parents. Not a friendly place at all. It's sad because it's a beautiful area to live in. Looks like the whole school in general needs to take classes in how to interact with adults. The principal needs to get those moody teachers in check.

Posted April 28, 2014

I moved my daughter to Desert Harbor for the integrated arts program and have not regretted it! The teachers have been outstanding and caring and the Principal and VP are always present and involved. The PTA is also strong and creative. The atmosphere is fun I am so pleased to be part of DH.

Posted August 26, 2013

way too condesending, I could not beleive how low their standards were but they did have some good teachers

Posted May 4, 2012

This is the BEST school..the principal is a loving, caring person she deeply cares about these kids and their education and it shows! This school has gone above and beyond for my son. I wish I would have put my son here for his entire elementary education...the teachers are great down to the crosswalk people, and the ladies at the front desk are always cheerful and helpful. This is a great family school nothing but good and great things stated from a very satisfied parent. I encourage everyone I meet to enroll their kids here. GREAT JOB DESERT HARBOR STAFF!!!!!!

Posted September 15, 2011

The principle has failed this school. she acts like a mom to the teachers and a grandma to the kids. Do your job! Kids run the school with no discipline at all. Teachers dont take feedback very well. They take the easy way just to end the day and get a paycheck. Lots of substitute teachers. Please change the administration of this school.

Posted September 4, 2011

I too moved here because of the school system it looked promising 10 years ago. Over those ten years I felt that the school has worked hard to put a band-aid on the obvious problems - too much training that is just common sense and teachers spend too much time away from their students leaving them to fend for themselves. I have now moved my kids to a school that values education overall and is really encouraging my students to look toward a college education as early as 6th. grade with onsite college counselors available to them. Yes they have more homework but I have a job to do as a parent and that is to make sure my children become successful, productive members of society. Our kids have a job too and that is SCHOOL. Parents forget that they will be grown one day and it will be too late to instill those values then.

Posted July 30, 2011

My children have attended DH since Kindergartner. One graduated from DH the other in 5th grade. I must say we loved DH when our oldest attended. My now 5th grader had a HUGE issue with his 3rd grade teacher to the point my husband and I had MANY meetings with the principal to make her aware of the situation. It didn't get us anywhere. My 3rd grader was an A/B student in 2nd grade, went into the 3rd grade with this teacher and failed every semester. He passed 3rd grade with all D's. He went onto 4th grade and had ALL A/B's grades all year long. How can a student go into a harder grader and PASS with flying colors? I am so glad this teacher is no longer teaching at DH.

Posted September 29, 2010

Wonderful school!! Teachers are excellent!! This is a great school!! My children love it here, they look forward to coming everyday!!

Posted March 4, 2010

I used to love this school. I am saddened to say that I don't so much any more. There have been too many changes. We have lost too many great teachers and there have been too many changes. They used to work hard to make sure that my gifted child was working at his potential. A couple of years ago, that stopped. He is still in the honors program, which has been terrific (although, now that that teacher is teaching at two schools, I feel that she is a bit stretched. She is a great teacher, though). But, once my son got past what this school offered in their 'regular curriculum' (they had been allowing him to advance to other classes to get what he needed), they started making him take classes over and over instead of making sure that he was still learning at his level. Very frustrating!

Posted July 28, 2009

The Principal does not follow through with discipline and rules, and has driven the school into the ground!

Posted June 25, 2009

Actually, it's a K-8 school. And Yes the best school ever. My daughter loves it!!

Posted May 27, 2008

The staff at Desert Harbor do an outstanding job in educating and directiing my child to his future capabilities. There eduction level is far above of what I knew at that age.

Posted March 8, 2008

The previous review is pretty funny. Dazed and unhappy? Hardly. The Harbor is a great school, and the community clearly knows it. Why else are we getting new students every other week? No, I think that somebody is simply nursing a grudge about something. Love the concentration camp allusion though.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 19, 2008

I moved to Peoria because of the school system and I have to say I am extremely impressed with Desert Harbor and the warm and caring atmosphere it exudes. My son has been going there since principle Little came on board and she is the most down to earth caring person I have met! The teachers my son have had have far exceeded my expectations and my son is excelling and very happy there. The Kennedy Center arts program is amazing and the culture and field trips add to the children learning about diversity. I have been very pleased and would highly recommend this school.

Posted February 19, 2008

My children have been attending Desert Harbor for just a short time. In all fairness the Principle is an absolute 'gem'. My problem is with the teachers they are horrid thus far, and how can I as a parent not question if the Teachers are so bad, why? The teachers have yelled at my honor roll student who has never had a problem in any school...she hasn't any problems here either. She is in Jr. High. My children have been ridiculed in front of classmates by the teachers. If it were one ...two...or maybe even three of them telling me these things...I might question but, everyone of them are asking me to send them to another school! They were counted tardy on there second day of school! They didn't know where their classrooms were!!! Awful Teachers!

Posted January 17, 2008

My kids previously attented Legend Springs in Arrowhead. I like the more relaxed atmosphere at Desert Harbor and have found the staff to be awesome so far. My only complaint is the lack of after school activities for the younger grades, everything offered is held at other sites. Also, the staggered release times are a killer, as I have 4 kids at all grade levels. I don't feel I should have to pay for an extra hour. Plus, the cost of lunch in the PUSD is staggering! Overall though, this is a solid school that my kids enjoy.

Posted January 11, 2008

I am concerned about the lack of discipline in the junior high....students seem to be running the place. The primary and intermediate teachers are wonderful and expectations are high. I am concerned about the turnover in junior high teachers.

Posted January 4, 2008

My children have been going to Desert Harbor since 1998. Two of three have graduated from there. I have had the opportunity to see many changes. Changes as a parent that concern me. We have seen to many chnages in the staff, from principals, vice principals and teachers leaving.

Posted August 9, 2007

I love Desert Harbor! My girls have attended for several years. We actually moved just out of the school area and i still take my girls there because of how much they enjoy it. The teachers, the staff Great. My girls will definitely finish their schooling there.

Posted August 3, 2007

I am saddened by the recent teacher turnover at this school. I had beautiful experiences with my 2 older boys, but my youngest son still has another year to go. The recent school-wide 'teaching throough the arts program' appears to be forced on everyone at Desert Harbor and I am against what it has done. So sad! I do love the principal, but things need to change. Two - three years ago, I would have given 5 stars.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Highly Performing".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 27%N/A47%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Nurse(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
Fax number
  • (623) 486-6207

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options