Mountain Pointe High School

Public | 9-12 | 2640 students

Posted May 27, 2009

Montain pointe is really a good school . We all like the school . If I have to suggest for improvement , I would say that , the school should provide better information about further educational opportunities and chances of getting financial aid.

Posted April 8, 2009

I did not enjoy my experience at Mountian Pointe High School. I felt like all of the students there were in a clique, and the academics failed dismally. If you want to send your child to a great school near the Phoenix Valley, then I would suggest Hamilton High School in Chandler, Arizona.

Posted March 31, 2009

Mountain Pointe is a great School, I drive from out ofthe area so my Son can attend(30 miles),my Son loves the School.Teachers and admin are top notch.

Posted March 4, 2009

i say it's a pretty good school. i am a current student at this school and i think i am getting a great education. but that's because i want to. usually the students who get terrible grades, are the ones that don't try. believe me, there are alot of kids that don't try. but i don't know much about the administration. i guess it's an alright school. i like it alot more than dv.

Posted February 7, 2009

Mountain Pointe was an amazing school to graduate from, when talking to the President of my private university he had nothing but good things to say about MP. He also mentioned that we get a lot of great students who excel from MP. The teachers always made classes fun, especially the honors and AP teachers. Much of them teach the same way my college professors have been teaching me. MP has a challenging academic program and any student who goes here is lucky to receive such an education. The administration wasn't great, but the guidance councilors, not only my councilor but the others in the office, did nothing but encourage me and help me with applying to college. I personally applied to 10 colleges, 2 being private institutions , and got accepted into all of them with a full ride scholarship. Those student who do not excel at Mountain Pointe don t do it because the school isn t great, they do it because of lack of desire and willingness to strive for excellence.

Posted January 4, 2009

My kids and I are very sad to have left this school when we recently moved to another state. As a former CPS employee, I have worked in several AZ schools and believe this to be well above average in many ways. MP has a great academic program and plenty of opportunity for students who excel. MP also offers an excellent sports program. The student body is somewhat more diverse than most schools in the area. We were pleased overall with the staff, including teachers and counselors. Many of the teachers respond to parent communication very positively. We will miss MP.

Posted October 2, 2008

You say disorganized, well the first two weeks of school are a little disorganized as students are getting used to everything. Did you ever bother to go in and talk to anyone? Yes, we have sweep but it is not in effect the first week of school.

Posted August 13, 2008

I was very disappointed in this school's performance! For several reasons...poor policy, poor communication, (the principal would not return my e-mails) disorganized. I feel sorry for the students who go there, they are treated so badly. This was my son's 6th day there, he was confused on where to go next so he was 'swept' and was not allowed to go to lunch by the 'SECURITY GUARD' who refused to let him go to the office and call me. This is not the behavior or environment that I want my son to be in! If you have a student that goes there Please, Please listen to what they have to say & do something about it! You might want to check out Arizona Virtual Acadamy it is FREE...your tax dollars are paying for it, why not give your child the best education.

Posted March 23, 2008

As a former student, going into the field of education, I thought MtP was an excellent school, offering many opportunities for its students to excel. For a school with so much diversity, the environment was very warm and accepting. The teachers were knowledgable in their subject areas and were able to individualize education to their students needs. This school has it all. I thought the staff, curriculum, and extracurricular activities were all top of the line.

Posted December 28, 2007

As a recent graduate of Mountain Pointe, I could not be more pleased with my experience there. I was treated as an individual with my own needs and learning techniques in a diverse environment, which is sadly not evident in many schools. As an education major, I have been asked to go back and look at my schooling experiences and seriously question and consider methods, etc. In my research, I have found Mountain Pointe even more amazing than I thought when I graduated. The administration supports their students and teachers and was always amazingly helpful when a problem would arise to make sure it was solved to better my education. If I had children, I would be proud to send them to an exceptional school like Mountain Pointe.

Posted August 11, 2007

Our two sons graduated from Mountain Pointe, an Excelling school promoting rigorous academic programs. One is now in a career and the other attending a private, small Ivy college. We could have chosen any school for our sons but we chose Mountain Pointe. It is a beautiful, safe campus. It has a diversified ethnicity the same composition as our sons will co-mingle with in real life, and each student, whatever level of achievement, are treated as an important individual. The Band Program is second to none. The Director of Bands, Leo Werner, is the only Music teacher in Arizona to achieve the Excellence Certification Award from the National Board of Professional Teachers Standards. He is one of the many treasures on the campus. Parent involvement is encouraged and promoted. The parent volunteer program is the largest in the district. The sports program is run with integrity, sportsmanship and honesty! Go Pride!

Posted June 29, 2007

Academics...see to be broad for the needs of thr children. Availability of extracurricular activities-good. level of paent involvment-unbelievable.parents are really involved in this community.

Posted June 4, 2007

amazing school with amazing experiences in store for your child

Posted January 7, 2007

As many are saying here, the biggest flaw with Mountain Pointe is the administration. They are perfectly capable of carrying out their duties but fail pretty badly. When I say administration, I am not referring to teachers. Some teachers are very problematic, but overall they are very impressive. Basically, the adminstration makes it seem like the school is put in place to aid their existance, and not the students'. They do treat the kids, more or so young adults, (many can even be considered matured enough as adults) as if they are inferior.

Posted December 30, 2006

I have two daughters that attend MPHS - a junior and a senior. Overall, their experience has been positive. The diversity at the school is a plus. However, I have found the administration to be inflexible with policy. My girls, both great teens with good grades, feel as though they are treated in a condescending manner. They believe students are looked down upon by administration, expecially those [of a certain] status.

Posted August 16, 2006

Lots of learning goes on in most every class my teenagers have been in. Stimulating science teachers. We experienced inadequate accountability of a teacher with weak classroom management skills, and another teacher who had a very high number of students failing and transfering out of his class. Our children's guidance counselor has answered questions they have posed to him, but the counselor never responded to our parent e-mail or phone message. Strong volleyball program with caring coaches. Active sports parent booster organizations. Parents very involved in many clerical duties as volunteers.

Posted April 18, 2006

Fabulous school with dedicated staff. Great teachers in art and music. Strong leadership from the administration. Both of my children have graduated from this school and were well prepared for challenging colleges.

Posted March 19, 2006

Wonderful journalism department, extracurricular activities. Teachers run hot & cold - they're either very involved or else very distant. Parent involvement is average to high for a high school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 5, 2006

I have dealt w/mountian pointe high school for the past 3 years, the experience my children have had I have not been pleased with. I have found if you are not a 'jock' or in top 5% of your class your child w/be swept under the rug. The staff does not hold itself accoutnable for anything. As parents we are expected to be held accountable but as educators they feel they are above it.

Posted December 9, 2005

Mountain Pointe is a very good school. I like the extracurricular activities offered and the teachers are very helpful. No problems there.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

639 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 83% in 2013.

652 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 70% in 2013.

648 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Source: Arizona Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 6%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4201 E Knox Rd