Mountain Sky Middle School

Public | 7-8

Posted November 15, 2013

My child is new to Mountain Sky and the Washington District. I have to say, never have I heard of principal like this one. My child is neither an over achiever or gets into trouble. It amazes me that the principal has taken to get to know her. He finds things to discuss with students and makes them feel very important. This goes a long way with some kids. The teachers have been for the most part very dedicated as well. They respond immediately when we have concerns. We are very happy to have child at this school. Thank you for the warm welcome.

Posted January 29, 2012

Honors classes need to be interesting and relevant to keep gifted kids excited about learning. The school is slipping a bit here and needs to focus on the problem if they want to attract bright kids! Curriculum should be shared between local elem., middle and high schools. You'd think it would be but honors kids read exact same literaturev in mid and high school classes. Why no coordination?

Posted March 8, 2011

I dont recommend this school.. All concerns were voiced to the administration with no help. Eventually my son was put in a Behavioral Health Center due to his way of responding to being kicked, punched, and verbally abused by other students. The only person that stood up for my son and what he needed was his special Ed Math Teacher. She did what she could unfortunately she was not in charge of the whole school.

Posted February 20, 2011

I am a 7th grader now at Mountain Sky and absalutley love the school. My parents are thinking about moving and when I heard it I started to cry saying that I'd miss my school. I have just recently became a part of National Junior Honor Society and there are 64 people in it. If I may say I beleive that is pretty impressive. Mountain Sky is a school that I reccomend my parents and I love the school ,the teachers are kind and if you respect them they'll respect you. Also Mountain Sky has great sport teams and many of them. Go Eagles!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted January 22, 2011

i am now an 8th grader at this school and the one thing i have to say is i can not stand it i wish i would have transverd when i had the chance. it always seems like teachers are ignoring you to help that one student ya there are a few nice teachers that really help you whenyou need it like mr. shockly, but the main issue is the cliques and drama even outside of school (ie. publice resturaunts). there was resently a bigg problem at barros pizza which is not far from the school where a bunch of 8th graders got in a fight with 2 6th greaad girls and it seemed like the princepal did nothing about is i. would not go here if i were you

Posted September 30, 2010

pro's- The teachers are amazing and teach well to help the students understand better cons- student environment is not really friendly . of course you manage to find those kind and nice people

Posted May 17, 2010

I attended this school when i was in 7th grade I am now a junior and all i can say is this school was amazing!! The teachers were excellent and the people there were awsome! I'd tell anyone to go to this school

Posted March 22, 2010

I Currently attend this school. 7th Grade. I absolutely love this school. Best one in the destructs! They Acctully care about what you say. But Math were behind because they help you out, even if theres 32 kids in each class.(: I Will miss it, but Thunderbird High School We Be Great too. :D
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 9, 2009

I used to be a student here, and all I can say is that anything you need they are willing to help you acheive your goals.
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 28, 2009

Teachers and staff are always willing to do whatever it takes to help a struggling student. As long as parents take an active, daily roll in their child's education, there is no reason a child should fail at this school. The math curriculum for 7th grade was too fast paced but with the resources given, my son still was able to get an A for the first time. They seem a bit short staffed but discipline is swift and fair for the most part. If asked, teachers will communicate via email or phone as often as parents need. My son went from C's in 6th grade to all A's and one B in 7th. This is a great school.

Posted January 27, 2008

This school is wonderful.Four of my children went there and got a fabulous education!

Posted November 15, 2007

This is a good school with many great teachers. The music program is amazing here

Posted October 13, 2006

I am the parent of an 8th grader who transfered to this school after a move from the Kyrene School District in Chandler. I had no idea how superior her previous school was until now. Mountain Sky has a terrible webpage. I have had a difficult time getting in touch with teachers by phone. I'm not impressed by the music program or the school lunches either (old school had a salad bar for kids that wanted to eat healthy) As far as the teachers go, very hot and cold. I've found a couple of outstanding teachers and some with no business being there. We're moving out of this Distric before next fall.

Posted July 20, 2006

I recently graduated from MS and I found it to be a great experience. All of my teachers had something unique to offer to their class experience and we did a lot more than just plain old book work, from labs in science to group projects in language arts. One year, we even did projects in math! Mountain Sky also has a top notch music program, and jazz band is possibly the best group any student could join. Faculty is smart about discipline and education both, and I felt like my junior high years were the best of my life.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 3, 2005

Teachers care about the students. They get involved with the parents if the child is struggling.

Posted May 25, 2005

This is a very good school. My son has attended this school for the past two years, and I am very pleased with Mountain Sky. There are a lot of behavior issues in his grade, but the school's administration handled it very smoothly. Lots of extracurricular activities, and fairly good parent involvement.

Posted April 5, 2005

I was not impressed with the way the teachers taught their classes. The students could get all the answers wrong on their homework and still end up with an A for effort. This in my opinion does not help the child if they don't know how to compute math the correct way. And having 'cheat sheets' as part of their grade to help them on their tests. I could see the students being able to use notes taken in class but being part of their grade is not a good idea. I would not like my A-B student to attend 8th grade if the teachers can not seem to help my child live up to her potential. She is currently getting C's and D's.

Posted April 1, 2005

My son is in 8th grade at Mtn Sky School. I have been very impressed with the amount of consideration and caring the teachers have shown. Once we identified problems my son was having in 7th grade, his 8th grade teachers were more than will to cooperate together and with me to see that my son did his best. They communicated with me via e-mail regarding his progress. They really did want my son to succeed. They were willing to work one on one with him to allow him to reach his potential. It was just incredible - he went from having C's, D's and F's to A's and B's. They have made this year bearable in having to track my son's progress on a daily basis. They motivate him and are preparing him for high school. As a parent, I couldn't be happier.

Posted February 28, 2005

Mountain sky middle school is a commmunity focus jr high with loads of extracurricular activities with focus on education. Teachers are knowledgeable and student focused. Administration seems to have things under control. I would recommend this school to anyone in the area.

Posted July 30, 2004

Overall, Mountain Sky is an ok school. The parents are involved and the school has the homework phoneline which is great for students and parents. Some of the teachers would not update the homework phoneline every day which was frustrating. I do feel that safety and discipline at the school needs to be upgraded. My child would tell me about some things that were going on in the bathrooms at lunchtime which were disturbing. My child would also tell me about some teachers letting the children watch MTV in the classrooms instead of teaching. With any school, you need to have constant communication with your children.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

370 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

370 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

368 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

376 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

376 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Highly Performing".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 51%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

16225 N 7th Ave