Palo Verde Middle School

Public | PK, 7-8 | 912 students

Posted May 23, 2014

My daughter attended Palo Verde Middle School for the past two years and graduated today. She is a special needs student and we would like other parents to know what a great experience she had at this school. She was always treated with the utmost respect and was readily accepted by the other students. She was challenged by her school assignments and academically surpassed many expectations. This time in a childs life can be hard due to peer acceptance and we found that Palo Verde made the experience one of the best our daughter has had in school. The staff made us feel welcome from day one and her conferences involved everyone that made up her team. We always felt that they had an open door policy and would address any questions we had. As parents we were nervous about the change to middle school and because of our experience at Palo Verde ,we look forward to high school !

Posted March 12, 2014

Palo Verde is definitely not the best school but it's decent. Some of the teachers are funny but it's a bit too strict and I really think that people would like the school better if you could wear you're own clothes. It's way better not having to buy a bunch of t-shirts so you won't run out of uniform shirts to wear. And I think wearing your own clothes is kind of way to express you and your personality so people can kind of see you and your style. It's a waste of money to buy those uniform shirts. And I would say that the school is not that good with being nice to each other. As a student, I can see how students treat other students and it's really not that great. Parents, as much as they say, don't know how students treat each other because they don't go to school there so they don't really know. All in all I would say Palo Verde isn't the best. I would totally go to a different school if I could right now.

Posted January 16, 2014

being a eighth grader at this school really sucks, coming from a middle school that had lockers, and a lot of responsibilty for yourself, palo verde is like a elementary school. the teachers are always telling us that we are almost high schoolers, but we still have to line up outside of classrooms, we still have to walk in lines to lunch, we still have to mimic the teachers clap rhythm. we have a sheet that keeps track of your behavior & if you get a certain amount of good behaviors, the. you get a dress down. the only good thing about this school is that all the students have each other backs, on my first day at this school ( I started late) I was so confused, so I asked the teacher she looks at me like I wasn't speaking English. for my first week a student helped me get the hang of things, without being told. keep your child away from palo verde . the campus is too large to be a middle school and there are way too many kids.

Posted June 24, 2013

This past year was my son's first year at Palo Verde. And I have to say that I am very excited about him going back next year. I was a little apprehensive based on rumors of years past but never heard or seen anything of the like. He got to know his teachers and almost daily without asking we would get a report about what a teachers said or did. So we know the teachers made an impact on him and he wants to learn. They have an anti-bullying system that is very effective. Anyone who has had problems in the past or currently need to get involved. Just offering to help out in the library, in class rooms, with the PTO or any other event does tremendous things for your kids. Your kids will see that this is important to you and they will ultimately strive to do better to make the school better. This will be my sons last year and my daughter will be here the following. It truly is an awesome school and has excellent teachers and amazing kids. Keep up the outstanding work you all are doing...See you next year!

Posted August 6, 2012

This school has some of the most talented and intelligent students! The teachers help them to find their way in a very difficult time in their lives. The teachers do a great job in communicating with parents when need arises. The classes are designed to help students at the lowest levels and also meets the needs of those who excel in school. The afterschool activities are numerous and there is something for everyone. I highly recommend this learning community to any family!

Posted February 6, 2012

.I went to this school and it has changed so very much since I attended. When I enrolled my son the staff was extremely condescending, rude, and disrespectful towards me. My son is scared to go to school most days, because he is not hispanic he is bullied. They do not give us the same paper work they give other students so my son gets failing grades and the teachers doing this refuse to stop doing it. This school is a disgrace to American teaching standards and needs government intervention!

Posted April 19, 2011

This school is the worst school I have ever dealt with. I do not feel like the administration supports the parents. The priorities are not in the interest of the students. I have had nothing but conflicts on this campus, there is no level of accountability at the staff level, and the staff shifts the blame to everyone but themselves.

Posted April 18, 2011

I regret having my children in this school. The prioroties are backwards and the system is a one size fits all for students, which leaves no room for building a proper connection between staff and students. The envoronment is negative, and the students feed off of this. This gives me a different perspective on public schools.

Posted August 24, 2010

Just reminiscing about all of my years in grade school...as well as researching current reviews on all of them. Well I decided to pick PV as the sole school to write a review on. Ten years removed, my honest remembrance of PV is a school with true diversity, quality kids, and a faculty who believed in your children. Trust me, they don't do it for the money. Middle school was my most rewarding grade school experience. I met people who would become lifelong friends, as well as a teacher who inspired and connected with her students. Ms. Janelle Chisholm is on a different level as far as commitment, effectiveness, and grace. Keep plugging away Janelle, you are making a difference!

Posted April 16, 2010

The special programs for children with learning difficulties could set the standard in the area. These teachers and administrators really care.

Posted April 1, 2009

Both of my children attended PV, and both were very well prepared for high school. The children who attended PV on my son's football team all passed AIMS on their first try, so that says a lot for the preparation of students for the academic rigors of high school. Math instruction should, however, be offered in smaller groups. The classes are too large to offer individual attention to those who struggle in this important subject; however, overall, I give the school's academic prep very high marks...excellent in fact.

Posted March 6, 2009

This school is a really awesome place for my son. The counselors and special needs professionals are excellent. I see them as ideal mentors. Each week there are multiple school activities going on. I have never had any trouble talking to the principle about my son's progress or questions with anything. The teachers are available for the parents and students needs. We have are haveing a very positive experience at Palo Verde!

Posted December 14, 2008

This is a horribale school.Not much time to swich classes. Im the highest team but it is so boring exept when ms.Kervin teaches history. Teachers if you read this pleses dont give me an f-. Some times its fun when you guys teach to=] its just school thats boring. You guys can be fun to

Posted September 19, 2008

This is a great school! If you are lucky to be in Cougar team you'll get the highest education. Ms. Bringgold, Ms. Kervin, Ms. Chisholm, Mrs. Hildebrant and Mrs. Munck really care about your education and are willing to help you in anything you need. I've in that school and in the Cougar team since the beggining of 7th grade and I love it. Keep up the good work Cougars!!!! P.M.

Posted September 3, 2008

I've had two older children that came out of Palo Verde 5 years ago and they had a good experience. It seems like it has just got worse as the years go by. There are few good teachers left. The school needs more funding to provided more after school sports baseball and football. There needs to be more incentives to get these students motivated. The lunch meals need improvement need to go back to the good home made cooking no more fast food. Prayer also needs to be brought back. That should be number 1.

Posted March 6, 2008

I am the PTO Vice President & the parental involement is terrible however the only people who can fix that is the parents, so that should'nt be held against the school. The teachers and staff can only do so much, it is up to these parents to become engaged & show their children they care by showing up to events & volunteer & show up to parent teacher conferences. I am very involved in this school and the staff is awesome and they have a termendous amount of interest in the students. The teachers are awesome on responding to emails when it concerns my daughters progress and even welcomed me with open arms when I attended school with my daughter for an entire day when she decided to let her grades slip (trying to be cool) & now her CPA is back up to 3.7.

Posted December 23, 2007

This school is ok, but not good enough. The teachers and students are great.

Posted December 2, 2007

I have a daughter who attends PV and it has been a wonderful experiance. The Staff have done a great job helping with the transision from Elementry school to Middle School. My husband and I are grateful to have found such a wonderful and caring staff. With the way schools are now a days in Arizona its hard to find that.

Posted September 2, 2007

With a new principal last year things were not quite as good as they should be. This year Mrs. Schaffer and staff seem to be on top of things. I feel much safer having my child at the school this year than I did last. The reaading intervention is outstanding! Many wonderful teachers. Parental involvment is the biggest issue. I really like the uniforms.

Posted July 18, 2007

I was once enrolled here, big mistake. I told my mother everyday that I did not want to go, yet she made me. I got expelled from the school after I threatened other students. I was bullied everyday, the homework was tough, the time constraints were rough (they expect you to run from one side of the school to the other, no joke). The only thing I liked about this school were some of the teachers. Half actually [cared] about your education while the others didn't have a care in the world!

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

440 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

440 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

418 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

451 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

451 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meets or exceeds

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing Plus".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 78%N/A47%

Fax number
  • (602) 347-2520

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now