Quail Run Elementary School

Public | PK-6

Posted August 28, 2014

I had my child at Quail Run from K through 4th grade. As with any school, it's all about the teacher. Some of them are great, others are terrible (as in 'not too bright'). Our success rate has been 50/50. My daughter was in the gifted program for 2 years, she loved the honors teacher (who just left btw). She ended up looking forward to the 90 minutes or so of honors work, and was bored out of her mind the rest of the time. Kids learn next grade material in honors, only to repeat the same exact stuff 4 hours a day during regular classes the following year. We originally enrolled at Quail Run partly because of the IB program, but frankly, I'm not sure it makes any difference in the curriculum. Overall, I have seen worse schools for sure, but it's nothing exceptional either. The staff is nice though.

Posted March 27, 2014

Quail Run's new principal is family friendly, courteous, and focused on students. I believe that the quality of the academics is stemming from the IB program. I have seen a great change in my son this year in his level of "thinking about thinking". This is a great school with a great PTA supporting the school needs!

Posted January 5, 2014

Quail Run is a great school. I have three children here and one now in Jr. High. The teachers are friendly and willing to help. One of my sons was falling behind in his reading and his teacher was willing to work with me to help get him on track. The parents are eager to join together and make our school a community school with a great environment for learning and excelling. Our new principal is eager to help students and meet with parents as needed. Most of the teachers are very loving and go above and beyond what is required of them to make our school great.

Posted August 30, 2013

I have two sons and a daughter currently attending Quail Run. My oldest is in 6th grade this year. My children all have very different academic needs. One of them tested into the gifted program. The teachers and curriculum challenge and keep her interested. On the other hand, I have a son who began last year struggling so badly that he had to be put into a special reading program just to catch up. Not only did he get caught up, but he finished the year with straight A's and exceeded state standards on the AIMs test in both math and reading. In response to comments regarding specials needs children: One of my daughter's best friends is a student with Cerebral Palsy. Staff and student body alike are kind and supportive, helping in any way they can. Side Note: Mr. Michaels retired last year and there is a new principal, Marta Maynard.

Posted August 27, 2012

My son has been going here for two years and the teachers challenge the kids. What he learned in kindergarten was more like first grade in my opinion. If your child has a learning disability there are probably better schools in the district to address this. My daughter has autism and she goes to SunKids/Cholla Preschool in the district which specializes in this. We plan on sending her to a school that has services that are better equipped to handle this. I know there is a SunKids program at Sunset Canyon for example. They might be better equipped to handle kids with learning disabilities in elementary school.

Posted August 24, 2012

My child has been attending this school for three years and I have had a lot of problems with some of the teachers and the principal regarding my child's academics. I had my child evaluated by the the Melmed center and my child has been diagnosed with a learning disability. The teachers and the principal would not cooperate in the education of my child until I got the school district involved. They would not accommodate my child's learning needs until all paperwork was completely filled, which took weeks all the while the teacher was failing my child, and negatively impacting my child's academic record. When I looked to the principal (Mr. Micheal) for help, he disregarded my concerns and said " I cannot just dump him in another class" He became very offensive and accusatory toward me and my child. If you are looking for a school that will properly address your child's educational needs, STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL, you will be insulted and discriminated upon if your child does not fit their standard of "normal" Save your child the trouble and find a school that takes interest in their educational goals and needs.

Posted August 24, 2012

I saw all the struggles a close friend of mine had at Quail Run because her child had a learning disability . This school is very inconsiderate to children with disabilities and I hope that someone will have the interest and ability to hold this school and it's principal accountable. The principal of this school caters to children and families that don't bother him to make his job easier so he appears to be a good principal with no problems, but the minute your child has challenges and requires a little more attention or an extra push, this principal will categorize you and your child as lazy and demanding. He will not take interest in your child's educational needs and will ignore you as a parent and his entire staff follows in his foot steps. You become the problem parent and the subject of their interoffice politics. If your child is smart and does not require any teaching then Quail Run is right fir you but if your child needs to excel academically and meet their educational goals then please find a better school that will teach your child not hold them back .

Posted February 25, 2012

I don't know that I would agree with the couple of comments about the principal. I have had the opportunity to go to him with a few concerns and have felt he has been very fair and understanding. We have attended Quail Run for 6 years and have been very happy with the school, and have come from out of district. I feel the IB program is an asset to the school. My son is now very interested in continuing with the IB program in middle school.

Posted February 25, 2012

We have been at the school for 7 years. My youngest is a 6th grader so this is his last year. We have loved almost all the teachers. They have worked hard for my kids and have pushed them to excel. My oldest was a C student there in high school he is an A B student. I too, wish the principal was more understanding when a parent has a concern. He could improve in this area. So glad my kids have gone there and highly recommend Quail Run. I would give excellent if not for the principal's attitude.

Posted July 6, 2011

I really like this school, having compared against a couple of other schools in the area. The teachers are very tenured and work very cohesively together. Principal is running his show and likes things his way.

Posted February 1, 2011

Although this schools ratings are almost the top 10% for AZ schools, the rankings through schooldigger do not give it justice. The support from the families, the principal, and the PTA at this school are great. It is so nice to see how many people pull together to make this school great. All the teachers (that I have met) are amazing! The IB program is what brought me to the school and I am glad I found them!

Posted August 10, 2009

We sent our child to Quail Run based on the school's scores, reputation and parents comments. We ended up very disappointed with our child's teacher and have opted for another school with more experienced teachers.

Posted May 28, 2009

My family has just finished our fourth year at Quail Run. My oldest son had been enrolled in our home school for Kinder and attended a charter school for three years after. After these disappointing experiences at these prior schools, I became disillusioned with the AZ school system. A friend recommended that I check out Quail Run. Mr. Michels, the principal sold me. The great teachers, staff and families have kept us. The teachers helped to get my oldest son caught up. I am very active in the PTA and could not be happier with this choice for our family. I cannot say enough positive things about this excelling, family oriented school.

Posted May 27, 2009

I think the teachers are great, and Mr. Michaels (the principal) also seems nice. I have two children enrolled at Quail Run and they both enjoy going to school there. One thing I do not like (or understand) is that the basketball courts are all 10 foot (NBA regulation height). Most children attending Quail Run cannot even reach the rim. To me, it's a waste of space, and lower rims should be put in place to better serve the students.

Posted January 30, 2007

I've been very impressed with the office staff and teachers at Quail Run. My oldest is in kindergarten and she loves her teacher and so do I. Her reading and writing have skyrocketed since she's been there and she loves math! She is now involved in the after school art and chess programs offered and she is loving both. I'm very glad I chose to send my child to Quail Run.

Posted September 22, 2006

I am very happy with my kids going there. Overall most of the teachers are caring. I wish the principle could be more understanding when a parent has a concern. Parent involvement is wonderful could use a little more in the upper grades though.

Posted April 16, 2006

Quail Run was sepctacular. I found the 'COMETS' program very creative. I would highly recommend this school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 14, 2006

Quail run is an outstanding school with new and innovative program that make this school an excelling school.

Posted January 15, 2006

The principal and friendly staff make this school a great option. During my visit the principal gave me a tour of the school and gave me the opportunity to observe a kindergarten class. The teacher was friendly and professional. After speaking with other parents I have learned that the elementary school is a great choice.

Posted December 20, 2005

This was a great experience for all 3 of my kids...great faculty staff

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Excelling".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Excelling".

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 21%N/A47%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3303 E Utopia