School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Welcome to Shea. Our school environment is awesome. We've become a Core Knowledge school and beginning in the 2014-15 school year, we will also become a Fine Arts Signature School. The Shadow Complex for the Arts will encompass Dance, Theater, Visual Arts and Music. Similar to the Arizona School For the Arts, Shea will offer great opportunities for all.
March 13, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My daughter is currently in 8th grade at Shea and has had an excellent experience overall. She has enjoyed the small class size, challenging curriculum, attentive teachers, sports programs, clubs and the new friends she has made from the feeder schools. As a parent, I feel this is a safe environment for her to grow and try new things. This is a hidden gem in our neighborhood that continues to grow and be a positive place for students. We will be sending our son to Shea in two years and look forward to watching him grow there as well. It is an exciting time for Shea and SMHS!

Amount of homework: Agree

The school expects a reasonable amount of homework to be completed. It is not busy work.

The school overall is really nice, but some of the office staff really need help with communicating with parents. I was in asking questions, and they seemed like I was wasting their time and I spoke with the principal and I could tell he was being very fake and was rushing me though my conversation. I understand principals are busy, but the obvious fake attitude does not need to be there. He just kept telling me that he has been principal of the school for the past 13 years, which is great, but maybe it is time for a change.

I have a child who went to Shea and a couple more to follow. My child had amazing teachers and was in honors. Shea prepared her for high school. Teachers and staff are on it. Couldn't be happier

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted March 13, 2014

The School is fun! There is school dances and more.IF YOUR WORRIED THAT THIS SCHOOL IS A PLace with many bullies there is none.You don't have to be hot or popular!!! All you need is friends and don't forget that.You r You no matter what! This is yvette from my other review that I said ha to read that too it was written august 13th

BEST SCHOOL EVER!!!!!!!!!!! All Pv schools are Really great and all but Shea is most amazing School I have ever been to. The classes are just unexplainably awesome and interesting I have ADD and I had forgotten my focus pill but I was able to focus just as well as I did on any other day! Not once have I ever been bullied nor have I seen someone be bullied on school campus. The teachers here know how to have fun but when it's time to work the students know that there has been enough fun for that class for the day.

I'm a student here. If u wanna have fun u gotta be hot abd popular. That's the only way.. good luck I guess? Oh ya tbere is like no hot guys here :(

My special ed son attended here for about a month when a discipline issue arose. Shea said they had a zero tolerance level and transferred him to another school immediately w/ promises if he behaved well he could return there shortly. I felt this was a little extreme and no one took any initiative to get to know my son personally or possibly find a reason for his acting as he did. If you are going to work with teenage kids you are going to have some problems from time to time. You can't just dispose of kids like schools some honor to be at, when most of them don't want to be there anyway at that age.

Some good teachers, very low on extra curriculars and arts, unless you are into sports. Needs improvement in discipline and needs more after school programs. Needs alternative learning for ADD and ADHD. My child is brilliant, is in honors, and is bored there.

Last modified Shea Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.