Stepping Stones Academy

Charter | PK-8 | 220 students

Our school is best known for its high academics on a small, friendly campus.

Living in Phoenix

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $199,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,230.

Sweep tile

Posted March 11, 2010

This is an amazing school! My son was lost in the crowd of the local public schools and slipping behind. Stepping Stones teachers care and have helped him regain his confidence and his grades have improved! Communication is great at this school I always know what's going on and the Microsociety class they have is awesome. We are really happy the only thing I wish they had was music or PE but other than that you won't go wrong with this school.

Posted August 4, 2009

Academically this school is one of the best. Its small class sizes are ideal for students who might otherwise struggle in a larger environment. The principals make it a point to know each student and are always very available when needed. The only thing lacking is after school activities, PE, music, and art, but the kids expected to do their very best in their studies and are held to a very high standard.

Posted July 26, 2009

Stepping Stones Academy's environment promotes focused learning of the '3 R's', fun, and insperation. It's a great school with dedicated staff.

Posted March 18, 2009

What a nice change from the local district school. My child loves going to school at Stepping Stones. The small classes and friendly campus has done wonders for him! Thank you, Stepping Stones:)

Posted October 9, 2008

I am really happy that my kids are at Stepping Stones. I heard about Stepping Stones from my neighbors. They had kids at Stepping Stones and thought my kids would like it. My kids like having only 15 kids in class instead of 30 and they like the school has control. Kids aren't running all over the place calling names and fighting like at their previous school.

Posted October 8, 2008

We've been going here for a couple of years now and each year gets better and better! I can't believe how much my kids are learning and how much they like school. I highly recommend this school!!!!!

Posted August 11, 2008

We attended two other schools in the area before choosing Stepping Stones. Choosing Stepping Stones was the best decision we made. At the other schools our girls were lost and hardly anyone knew them. At Stepping Stones everyone knows them and they know everyone. It makes it so much easier for them to go to school. The small class sizes and small school have been a big plus for our family!!!

Posted August 11, 2008

A friend told us about SSA, because our son was getting picked on at his other school and nothing was being done. We didn't want to switch in the middle of the year, but we are so glad we did. After one week at SSA our son was once again happy and was not worried about kids picking on him. How refreshing!

Posted June 18, 2008

I can't say enough about how this school has helped my kids. They all had fantastic teachers and the principals always took time to listen to me. I only wish I would have found the school in time for my older kids. One of the best things is how nice the kids are to one another. It is so nice to not worry about my kids being called horrible names or picked on. They are able to go to school and learn.

Posted June 15, 2008

We just finished another great year at SSA! My husband and I are amazed year after year at how much SSA is able to accomplish. Here is this small school in the middle of nowhere with very limited resources and it accomplishes such great things! SSA is such a perfect fit for us. We love the small classes and how everyone knows everyone. In all of our years here, we have seen only happy and caring teachers and we appreciate the personal involvement of the principals. We especially appreciate the warm greeting whenever we call or walk into the office. We know we can call with any question or just to see how our boys are doing. We love the small community spirit of SSA and we are happy we are part of it!

Posted June 15, 2008

I read many reviews and don't be baffled or confused listen to your kids that are frustrated and aggravated by the same teacher for the entire day. I am that kid! I'm in the 8th grade and can't wait to be out of SSA. I hope high school is better than the years I had at SSA. My parents love the small compound but for me it was horrible. I had no extracurricular activites, no pe, no guidance for the changes to come in 9th grade and worse no gifted program so I can be recognized going into high school. SSA is a small school with small minds leading this campus. Your not welcomed if you have a mind of your own and if you speak up your shut up real quick! So don't be 'baffled' be a student that has no option! *-*I am a student*-*
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 14, 2008

We chose SSA because of its outstanding education program! The kids are required to pull a C average to pass to the next grade and we like this because we know then that our kids are not just being passed through the system. We have seen many families leave and go to other schools so their kids could get by with Ds and Fs. We commend SSA for sticking to its policies and trying to improve education. We are glad the principals and teachers do not give in to whiny parents who threaten to go to another school if things don't change to what they want. If kids are behind at other schools when they leave SSA, then they probably weren't up to par at SSA. Thank you to the principals and everyone at SSA for another fun and great year! We are already excited about next year!

Posted June 14, 2008

If you want a school with a strong education program, this is your school! If you want a school where you are welcome to help out, your kids are treated with respect, the teachers really teach, and the rules are enforced equally to everyone, this is your school. If you want a school where kids don't have to do homework or get good grades to pass, this is not your school. If you want a school where kids get by calling names and being bullies, this is not your school. If you want a school that lets the loudest or pushiest parents run the school, this is not your school. If you want a school that takes time to make kids feel special and teaches good old-fashioned education, this is the school.

Posted June 14, 2008

I hope readers read the harsh comments about SSA with an open mind. What school does not have controversy, usually caused by a few loud parents? What school does not have teacher turnover? What school does not have unhappy parents at one time or another? What impresses us is how SSA has so professionally and efficiently handled it all and still maintained such a high quality school program! Though SSA does not focus on art, music, or pe, my kids come home with art projects made in art class and sometimes they even study famous artists. Each year I attend a wonderful music concert and I know my kids have pe class because they tell me about the games they learn to play. This school has been a great find for us! We have experienced only caring and helpful people from the minute we walked through the door!

Posted June 13, 2008

Why parents think this school has lack of leadership continues to baffle me. This school has more leadership than any school I have experienced. The leaders are so visible that this seems to cause problems with some parents, because they are unable to 'persuade' school personnel, such as teachers, into doing what they want. It is true that the principals are very involved in this school, and I am glad they are so involved. They know every student by name and they care about every student. SSA is and was the best thing I did for my children!

Posted June 9, 2008

I cannot believe parents are focusing education on micro in these reviews- let's discuss the lack of leadship in these directors. They run the teachers out year after year- they offer no extacurricular activites and discipline is extreme- When I removed my child in Dec - my child was behind in the public school school- also, my child has option each day with art, gym and music- It's not micro it's not miserable directors and unhappy teachers - its education where my child is cared for and learns and loves each day going to school- SSA is not and was not the best thing I did for my child!

Posted May 28, 2008

The best way to describe this school is fantastic! It has so many of the components that schools need today to help kids get a really good education and be readyto face the big, bad world. When we came here I was a little overwhelmed because I found out my kids were behind, but I knew it would be worthall of the work. Now my kids are caught up to where they should be and they have so much self-confidence. Thanks to the fantastic teachers and everyone at SSA for caring about my kids. I was lucky that my kids were treated as individuals and not just numbers in an overcrowded classroom!

Posted May 14, 2008

I am a parent that has had my children at SSA for several years and I am happy to say that through everything the school continues to thrive! The school has continued to focus on academic excellence, but has not lost sight of the fact that the children are the most important! The Micro program is absolutely wonderful! In my opinion, SSA is the best school around!

Posted March 15, 2008

Great school! Great teachers! Great campus! The kids are respectful and friendly. The rules are enforced. The teachers are helpful and care about the kids. The office people are the best I've ever seen. The principals really care about what is going on and know all of the kids.

Posted March 8, 2008

It saddens me to read such negative comments about SSA, because I have been at SSA for a lot of years and have seen so many parents try to push their way around. Since SSA is a small school and not a large district school, parents seem to think they can walk in and demand unrealistic things. Then when they don't get their way, they get mad, blame the school, and begin telling false stories. This school is not for every family. But for families who want their kids to receive a great education, then SSA has a lot to offer. For parents just looking to push their way around, then SSA is not for them. And lucky for my kids, SSA sticks to its policies.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 75% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 79% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 85% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 52% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

n/a

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

n/a

Source: Arizona Department of Education

• In 2010-2011, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2009-2010, this school was designated "Performing Plus".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was designated "Performing".

Asian 3% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Honors track

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 5:00 p.m.
  • Dedre Alliger
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Visit campus
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (623) 587-8514

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • Honors track
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Audiovisual aids
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Performance stage

• Dance
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Dance club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

9 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year